Green

Stump

Makes them blend into the brush along the shoreline so that they can be hidden more easily. :lol: Not valid for desert dwellers.

Keeps the mold, algae and kelp from being so noticable when the hull doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. :wink:

Fairly traditional marine hull color!

Allows sod to be placed correctly. Green side up! :roll:

Color of choice when most people can't decide on anything else. Green is the most often "non-choice" compromise when people can't make up their minds or disagree.

Many psychological studies and marketing studies confirm this. Sorry! :?

Hides mars, scratches and imperfections better than many other dark colors. Fact! Looks reasonably fresh even in a flat finish.

Well let's see - I traded something green for the plans... Something green got the materials for me... I believe the guy at the paint store was happy when I pulled out a bunch of green stuff to give him for the paint...

Boats are green because they're made of green stuff. 8)

Mine's probably going to be yellow, though. I don't know why, I'm not overly fond of yellow, but that's what it will be.

Green is a very traditional color on boats, though the shades of green now seen are much less then traditional.

Other then natural finishes, black, white and red were the original colors seen on boats (ships, as yachts were a thing yet to come) This was a result of the way paint was made, or more accurately the method of pigmentation. Shades of white followed, ivory, amber, tan, pale yellow and grays which were a mixture of some, usually more costly pigments added to the white available. Eventually more spectrum was worked into paints.

When wooden war ships plied the seas, the gun decks, were treated to coats of bright red, to hid the heavy coatings of blood that would splatter everywhere in a battle, which apparently was unnerving to the crew. Darker greens and black were used on the weather deck (the first attempts at stealth coatings?), because it became lost in the haze of distance, making it more difficult to judge speed and how far off they were, if they were noticed at all.

As yachts came into favor, the traditional color was still basic black. The schooner America was black when it spanked the British 'round the rock in the mid 19th century. This was because tar was used to water proof just about everything, the hull, rigging, everything. Anyone spending anytime on a vessel kept this way couldn't keep it off what ever it touched. Wearing white was silly.

Toward the end of the 1800's paints became more reliable and barrier coats of tar and oil were used less in favor of paint. White spars sprouted up, white house sides, cap rails, etc. It soon evolved into a class war over who had the prettiest (best dressed) yacht plus women started getting involved. The dimly lit interiors and smelly galleys gave way to light and airy cabin spaces with brightly paints bulkheads and cabin walls. During the 50 year height of sail's hay day, which pretty much came to a screeching halt by the end of the 1920's, color was everywhere. White hulls were common, as it was found it made the interior much cooler in warm locals. A painted hull was easier for the commercial fleets to keep up. More women got into the sport of yachting and before you knew it we had carpet on the headliner and the head was given it's own accommodations, relegated to indoor use only. Now anytime you get a bunch of women into anything, there's going to be the guy with the pink shirt who's got "jutht the right dhrapes to go with those cuthsions girrl" and before we knew what hit us, paisley and fucha worked into the decor.

Personally, I don't like most of the colors they offer currently, they're just wrong, though usually quite bright. Hunter green is an example, it's seen everywhere, but the traditional yacht green was deeper, with a bit more black in it. Kirby Paints has a limited but nice selection of traditional colors and of course can mix up whatever color you want.

Green, Gray. all colors you are imersed with when you live in Northwest like someone else said. I used to love green when I was growing up there in Everett, WA. But now that i am in Arizona our green is a bit.... different, just like our lawn is different here.... rocks, cactus, brown-stuff. So Blue is the color of choice for me here, like the sky.

8)

Tim

i always hated blue as a youngster and still havent gotten over it. i think im inclined toward green because of my grandfather, who immigrated from Ireland via Newfoundland. he would put the kids to work each spring scraping and sanding and caulking his skiff. when we asked him what color he wanted it painted he would say " i dont care what color you paint it, as long as its green". he's also the first person i ever saw build a boat. before that i never realized boats could be built by people, i thought they were just there...

This thread has been interesting, as most are here to me.

When in the Navy, I liked colors that were hard to see. Since that time, and now that I carry precious cargos (family and friends), I like bright colors that can be seen afar. White, red, yellow....some of each. I use greens and browns too, especially on details, but not on large surfaces.