Boat #7 is in the yard now.

Greg Luckett

No, I have not gotten the Spindrift built yet :oops: , but I stumbled onto a "good deal", $200. It is a 10ft O'day sailing dinghy, wooden spars, oars, and sails (main, jib, and spinnaker. It needs only a little TLC and should be the first of my boats in the water next spring. :D

It is a 10ft O'day sailing dinghy

Oh it was a great day here indeed, too, though mine was 67 , sunny, breezy though!!! :wink: I guess the only real drift that you would be speaking about today was a snow drift. :wink: Now where are those boat pictures so we can see what parts are indeed usuable for your new one. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it seems all these towns have adapted something called the International codes, which make your property have to look like a golf course or a grave yard. No diversity is tolerated. I suggest you raise hell with your city starting at the personal level with the local politicians when they want elected. I think this crap has been pushed onto all of us by the same folks who like political correctness. They did way too many drugs in the 60s and 70s to be making important decisions about our freedoms.

The International Code set would have no application in the condition of your property. It (they) are only applicable to the construction and maintenance of a structure, not the property it sits upon.

I think you may be refering to a local ordinance that would regulate 'stuff' in your yard; and these do vary significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

The International Code Set was a very long time in the works. I am not a solid fan as of yet, but the up side is that it is most nearly a 'national' code. Oen which our country has never had before.

Capt Jake, we do have national building standards and codes which most communities adopt ... the National Building Code, National Electrical Code, all of those codes regulating things like the materials and construction of boilers like the National Fire Protection Assn' #54, ANSI standards, etc.

The International Code set would have no application in the condition of your property. It (they) are only applicable to the construction and maintenance of a structure' date=' not the property it sits upon.

I think you may be refering to a local ordinance that would regulate 'stuff' in your yard; and these do vary significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

The International Code Set was a very long time in the works. I am not a solid fan as of yet, but the up side is that it is most nearly a 'national' code. Oen which our country has never had before.[/quote']

No, it is the International Code and it is adapted by the local governments, at least in part. The city here sends me copies of the things they think I am not in compliance with. I do not recall the exact name but it is very close to International Residential Municiple Codes or something like that. It is not the mechanical or electrical codes which you are thinking of, but has to do with appearances....99% anyway.

apt Jake, we do have national building standards and codes which most communities adopt ... the National Building Code, National Electrical Code, all of those codes regulating things like the materials and construction of boilers like the National Fire Protection Assn' #54, ANSI standards, etc.

This particular topic has lots of zigs and zags. The NEC is actually an NFPA document which in turn is excepted and adopted as a code (UFC85, which is an adoption of the NEC). Nearly all of the other NFPA document are nationaly recognized standards, not codes. Same as for ANSI. Just because they are not codes, doesn't not mean that they are not applicable. They are, but only when it is not specifically addressed in the code. Codes tell you what needs to be done, standards tell you how to actually accomplish that task.

To my knowledge, there is no 'national' building code, though federal agencies utilize an article out of NFPA as their code (life safety code is one).

On the west coast, we have used the Uniform code set for years, until it's disolusion and adoption of the international code set. The is also the Southern building code council and another midwest set that I can't recall the name of.

The hope is, at least, by having 'one' international code, there won't be so many overlapping, conflicting rules, regulations and standards to try and comply with and make sense of. ;)

There is also the code hierchy where one code over rules another if there is a conflict (whsich neve happens, right??). ;)

And to think that I want to take the Fire Marshals test...eekk! Maybe pulling hose ain't too bad after all. :) LOL

Edited to add:

As far as Greggs delema, he is probably right concerning the code he is refering to. I have never gotten involved int any of the codes axcept, building, fire, mechanical and the related standards. Here in WA we have convenants which speak to the accumulation of stuff. ;) IMHO they are too liberal and broad reaching. I recently moved out of a community were the covanant nazis were getting out of hand. Moving into the country gave me a little more control over my property. At least I don't have to worry about parking a boat or RV and getting writtten up over it any more.

Capt. Jake,

Everything you have said is true. The thing that most people do not yet realize is that the city code have modifyed the drive for standard mechanical/electrical codes to include what some people think are the way things should look. Colors of paint, types of siding, kinds of shrubs, length and type of grass, etc.

I am very aware of the various codes and standards, having spent a career as a Controls Engineer. You are right that the NEC is actually a section of the NFPA, but it goes even further than that. NFPA references the IEEE which combines with the ISA standards which ref. the govt. agency codes which ref the UL which refs. OSHA....etc. (including the CSA, European, etc), and almost all of them have qualifiers stating that their specific code/standard can be modified by one of the other codes. You soon find yourself chasing your tail. This is where the inspectors come in to interpret the codes and collect the fees. Guess what? You must pay them off or stop doing whatever it is they gig you for. Sometimes you even have to correct whatever it was too. This is from 30 years of experience dealing with these issues.

Well then, you totally understand the beast then. :lol: It is a pain, with all of the power hungry 'my code is better than your code' individuals. ;) BTW, the fire code is nearly at the bottom of the code hierchy. Mechanical is the only one lower.

Here, color of paint, size of shrubs, etc; is a function of both covenants and mostly the Planning Department. Those folks in Planning have NO clue when it comes to specing out plants! Then try to get them to allow the over-planted area to be trimmed or cut down, this realy starts a fist fight. ;)

Locally, we recently had a law suit over the color of paint on a haouse. The indivisual re-painted 2 times and then was finally taken to court. The judge ruled in favor of teh covenants and he had to re-paint a third time. Granted, the first two colors were rather aweful, but they are taking away all of our civil liberties.....