sprit or gaff

Jacob

which rig should I use?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. which rig should I use?

• sprit
    • gaff

I'm afraid I can't get your links to work or downloaded. I'm also afraid you are going to get a very biased poll here towards Gaff rigs. Most of the people that participate in this forum build Weekenders, Pocket Cruisers and Vacationers designed by Stevenson Projects. And these designs are gaff rigged. There have been a few variations from the designed rigs but we don't hear much from those builders and really don't get any feedback on how things work out. The pocket cruiser is a cat boat with very popular appeal. It is gaff rigged and a very stable and easy boat to build and handle. Also the roomiest by far for its size. There are a number of builders here that can give you benefit of their experience with their Pocket Cruisers.

The forum isn't limited to just these designs by anyone but this is where the interest lies primarily.

Also most of the builders here have no prior experience with sailing or building and most don't understand the differences or have much experience with any other rigs. Most are just learning how to handle the gaff rigs that they have. These boats are well proven and are both easy to build and easy for a new builder to learn to sail. Not that others are not.

The support system within this forum is significant in that a large number of the forum members contribute on a regular basis and are willing to offer a great deal of encouragement and all benefit from their building and sailing experiences. They are all over the world and thus offer a wide variety of regional experiences and challenges in material supply and local options as far as wood choices, rig types and finishing choices.

There are some participants that have a rather extensive background in boat building and some are very active in professional careers building wooden boats or repairing them. There are also some contributors with experience in many other types of boats and rigs that offer some great insight and experience from their own perspectives.

If you are looking for specific information or comparisons on various rigs and boat types, you might find the other forum here B&B Forum more varied as the designs use other than gaff rigs. Also you have the benefit of direct input from the designers.

Good luck :D

The rig is pretty much dictated by the boat you build. Some can use either rig and some are locked into one or the other. Gaffers can operate very well with flat bottomed, centerboardless hulls where marconi rigs will not perform well without the long fin keel. You really need to decide what hull configuration you are interested in and then see what rig works best. I have only seen one Stevenson design with a triangular main and we have no other information about it except the photo. Who knows how she sailed or performed. IMHO the combination looked like hell, but hey, to each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Were you interested in a Stevenson boat?

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, Jacob.

This is a difficult question, but not an impossible one even for the Weekender. The immediately available variations on the Weekender would be to go with a standing lug or a boomless gaff closely resembling a standing lug. The possiblility of a small sprits'l mizzen also occurs, at least if you like a lot of strings everywhere. :) (See www.scruffie.com)

For boats similar in size and construction complexity to Weekender with alternate rigs, check out John Michalak's designs on www.duckworksmagazine.com, particularly the AF4.

I'm still thinking on this, although I have completed the hardware on CharlieGirl II's mast this weekend, and I have allowed for the standard rig. I am still seriously considering at least a single halyard rig with a vang and a boomless gaff.

DocA

Sorry, I've been rather busy lately and couldn't post this sooner.

The boat I'm talking about is not a Stevenson boat, but one of my own design. Anyway, I finaly desided on a loose-footed standing lug rig. But thank anyway for all the input.

Jacob

Sorry' date=' I've been rather busy lately and couldn't post this sooner.

The boat I'm talking about is not a Stevenson boat, but one of my own design. Anyway, I finaly desided on a loose-footed standing lug rig. But thank anyway for all the input.

Jacob[/quote']

Hi Jacob,

Are you willing to share with us about your own designed boat? I admire that you are designing. To date all I have done is minor modifications to someone else's design.

Thanks,

Greg.

As a matter of fact, I plan to make the design available here after I build the prototype,(to make sure that it floats), but the dimentions are 13',4 1/2',not much, sa is 65 square feet.

Jacob

P.S. it may be a few years before the boat construction is begun, due to several current boat projects.