door project

adla

Well...i messed with the companionway hatch/door today...

i cut some old boards and planed them down...

DSC00003_002.sized.jpg

and then laminated them to the plywood (already cut) -

DSC00009.sized.jpg

and then trimed it all up...

DSC00021_002.sized.jpg

and glassed it....

DSC00023_001.sized.jpg

DSC00025_001.sized.jpg

DSC00035.sized.jpg

eventually, i will run out of other things to do and will have to face the seats...bleck.

a.

The seats aren't really thet tuff, but they are intimidating as h@**. Get some thick stiff cardboard to cut out templates first. Don't ask me why I know this. :roll:

teh seat bottoms aren't so bad. I had to make the templates for the seat backs. I really bent the ply on mine to achieve that 'nice' curve as close as possible.

Now go make some sawdust! Then mix some stuff in that 'poxy and get to it! :):lol::lol:

Great work BTW!! :) :)

Heeey Adla!

So good to see you didn't quit and that you are still around. I notice that you are still doing great work on the boat, too.

Follow Jake's advice and get started on the seats. I would hate to think that was the only thing keeping you out of the water. :lol:

Welcome back to our world.

Steve

Thanks Steve -

it is fun to be back and working on the boat...i never totally gave up i just took like 8 million classes at the little state college and it took up all my time...

i have my priorities straightend out though...and the boat is at the top of my list.

THE SEATS - i have decided after much thought...reading and more thinking to included foamed in areas on both sides for beverage and snack storage...will i regret it (dunno) will it rot my boat (probably not since it won't ever have prolonged water in it and it will be sealed real good)...

i am thinking seriously about adding a shoe or something to the keel because of the rocky nature of the lakes around here...i saw a picture of stainless steel being used and wonder how that worked out. Any other thoughts?

a.

Adla, your door looks very nice. Perhaps you should make legs for it so that when you aren't sailing you can use it as a coffee table. :D

Foam inside the seats would be a good at least for a couple of compartments.

Bill Paxton and I both put aluminum shoes on our Weekenders (It was his idea). They seem to be working very well. The aluminum is 2" wide and 1.8" thick 8 feet long.

Keep up the good work. Glad to see you're back at it.