Bay River Skiff

Guest Dennis Marshall

Guest Dennis Marshall

I have been eyeing the Bay River Skiff and Core Sound 17 for sometime (over a year). The Core Sound 17 really appeals to me for a variety of reasons but it is too large (too bad there is no 15 ft version!). Anyway, that leaves the BRS15 and I would be happy to hear from any who have both built and sailed it. I am particularly interested in the degree of pounding experienced while sailing. I had a flatiron skiff that jarred the teeth out of my head when sailing to windward and heeling the boat did not mitigate it much.

Thanks,

Dennis

Guest Gordy Hill

Dennis,

I too agonized over the choice between the BRS and the CS17. In fact, I've even suggested to Graham there should be a Core Sound 15. Actually, however, even though he might actually get around to it some day, the differences are mostly cosmetic. I've sailed the Bay River Skiff, albeit only a short sail, but I don't think you'd be giving up anything in performance. It really is an impressive little boat. That said, even if there were a Core Sound 15, if I were to do it again, I'd still go with the 17. If the 17 is absolutely too large, you won't be "settling" for something less, only different. They both have their advantages.

I'm not sure I got this right, but if I did, this is a link to some pictures of my boat.

http://www.messing-about.com/smallboats/albums.htm

http://www.messing-about.com/smallboats/albums.htm

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest Tom Lathrop

I did not find that the BRS ever "pounded" under sail. The most that I could detect could be caused a bit of slap but it was never a bother. Nothing that could be called bothersome. The BRS will be a bit wetter than the CS 17 or CS 20 in a chop. I remember one occasion when three BRS 15's, sailing together, held a plane for several miles in a northeaster on the Bay River. No worries about the flying spray, just exciting sailing.

harbinger@cconnect.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

The Bay River Skiff carries a shallow V all the way forward and I never experienced the bone-shattering pounding that I've felt in some of the flat bottom boats I've sailed. Sometimes in a 6" - 12" chop it would slap some, but I found that by trimming the boat down by the bow a bit, it pretty much eliminated it.

Guest Ralf Gruenig

Hi Dennis,

I have just four times sailed my BRS.

I haven't sailed bevor! but I hadn't a great problem. The BRS works fine in all concern's.

I can slip the boat from the trailer

in to the water alone, thats is important for me.

I can fix the tiller with a cord in all positions,

so have time to trim the sail or to open a bottle

of beer and the boat is running on his course.

The water in the see has just 8

Guest Dennis Marshall

Hi, Ralf.

Thanks for the report. Your English is better than my German! If I am ever in Munich, I will look you up and you can take me for a sail. I'll even buy the beer!

Aufwiedersehen!

Dennis