Check this out for a nice 12' sail boat

Barry Pyeatt

My bride and I saw one of those at West Marine in the Twin Cities a couple of years back. The fellow who had it had just bought it from a widow whose husband had two of them. She told this guy she would only sell them as a pair. I think he got them from her for about 3K for the pair.

This one on ebay belongs to Todd Bradshaw of Addiction Sails, author of Canoe Rig--The Essence and the Art.

455canoe-rig.jpg

He sent me some video of him sailing it awhile back. It looks like a blast although hull speed is only about 3 or 4 kts. Since youre actually sitting below water level with only your head and shoulders above the waterline, it must seem like you're really stroking along. They set spinnakers on these things which I find hard to imagine doing. Rudder control is through foot pedals although many have been set up for disabled sailors who have no use of their legs. They sometimes have powered winches for some of the lines.

Believe me, we've talked about it. If I still lived in Madison I would probably buy it. The lakes there would be good for sailing it. I've been thinking that even my Weekender is a bit small for Lake Pepin which is the closest sailable lake around here.

Somebody had a boat that looked just about like that at the St.Pete boat show last year. Took a good look at it and decided that I was just a little too claustrophobic for a boat like that. You couldn't even fit a small cooler in the cockpit. There wasn't room for anything. Talk about human ballast!

Russ

There was (maybe still is, I'd have to drive by) one available about an hour north of Minneapolis, he wanted about $950, I think. I'll check on my way home. If anyone is interested, send me a note, I'll be back near email on Friday evening.