Roller furling

Jacob

Jacob, I have my jib set up with hanks and now with roller furling. I ended up making a luff wire to which the luff of the jib is seized around the hanks. I thought about how to do this without seizing the sail to the luff wire but came to the conclusion it was better to seize the sail on.

The idea I had was to set up two wires parallel to each other and pretty tight together. Attach both of these wires to the swivel and furler. Then hank the jib to only one of the wires. The wire without the hanks would force the sail to furl when you pulled on the furling line.

The problem is that the jibs would jam on the wire so the sail wouldn't come down on its own when the halyard is slackened. It also adds more stuff.

As it turns out, I leave the jib furled and coil it down on deck when the mast is down. It stays in place under the cover but could easily be stuffed into the cabin or forepeak.

The jib works fine as it is but I think over the winter I will probably either make a new jib with a luff wire or remove the hanks and sew the luff wire into the sail.

If you do add the luff wire, set it up between two solid points and tension it. Also tension the sail so that when you seize the two together you don't have a loose cable with a taut sail or the other way around. If the sail is taut and the cable loose when the two are seized together, the cable either won't take the load or the sail will tear.

I'll find the pictures of my jib for you.

I had a luff wire sewn in place on mine. I also made a case that the furled jib slides into and then I coil it up and place it in the forepeak. It works slick. :) I instaled another forestay just forward of the original to hold the tension of the mast. The jib is hoisted in place with the standard halyard set up.

Here is a shot of the drum I fashioned for it.

[/img]

post-9-129497641597_thumb.jpg