Righting Moment

BJ

Hi All

My sister inlaw was telling a client of hers about the vacationer that I'm building and that I'm getting close to launch time.He told her to tell me that at launch the first time I'll have to have a righting moment. Maybe I'm

dumb. What is he talking about. The only thing I can come up with is that he thinks I'm building a much smaller boat and should make sure I can right her if she capsizes.Anyone have any input.

Most likely he is being sarcastic. A righting moment is the ability of a boat to return to its normal upright position. Occasionally someone will sarcastically offer this on a launch of a homebuilt just to help ease the concerns that it may turn turtle instead of floating with the mast pointing up. :shock:

Kinda like telling a dancer to go "break a leg".

I find that the more that it looks like a boat that the more comments that you get (and funny looks). But you have to remember that people have been making boats for 1000's of years but when you tell someone that you are doing it most people look at you and say thats cool, but think are you crazy you can not make something like a boat it will sink. The best thing to remember is that they are the ones that can not or would not try to build it and it you could not do it, you would know a long time ago. Would love to see some pic's my wife has been telling me that the weekender that I'm building for my dad is to small for my family (3 kids).

righting moment - he may be refering to moment as in the Physics term, Moment = distance * force, it's basically the same thing as Torque. In dingy sailing you normally put feet on the gunwales and pull backwards on the centerboard. The axis of rotation is more or less the waterline.

Was this guy an engineer?

Hi Tom

I was on your web sight the other nite. youv'e got some realy good pictures. After we get them both wet we'll have to meet half way. I am shooting for July 1st. Theres a lot of little loose end jobs to do yet. I've injoyed building her so much i think it's going to be a sad day when shes finally done.