sailing report

captjack

Well its been some time since I have posted anything! So here goes.

Date :5/31/2005

Place :Hover Damn in Westerville,Ohio

worked on the Diane G. for the last 2 mos. getting the trailer reworked,bearings packed,installing a Keel box on the trailer for better loading and unloading, built some belay pins for the sheets. rerigged the boat for single handing.

on 5/31/05 I took her to the lake alone.

wind was light, skies were blue and the ranger was there!

an hour after I was done with the rangers boat inspection about 10:30 am I was on the water!

raised the main the wind picked up just a little and she healed over and took off! sails full wind blowing just enough to make you keep your eye on what you are doing. only one other sail in the water.

It was just a great,,,great ,,,great day!

Its the frist time that I ever took her out alone. And it wont be the last!

This is just my second season out with her and last year was cut short because of work.

I plan on spending alot more time on the boat this year!

You know ..... you turn off the motor.. raise the sails and just sit back and enjoy the wind in your ears.

god what a great feeling!

good luck to all this season! see you on the water!

will be sending updates this year!

thanks to all that have helped me get in the water and during the build out.

and for all who wonder if its worth it???? IT IS!!!!!!!!!!

signing off for now ! but not for long!

CaptJack :D

What a great day! Great fun and a wonderful read. I can feel it myself, if I just close my eyes and shut out the rest of the world.

I get the same wonderfully peaceful feelings just being out. This last weekend, we had some flat water and still air________________/l____ for unfortunately, quite long periods. I still just really enjoyed being out on the water, listening to the wildlife and sounds of kids playing a mile away. Seeing the wildlife up close and peaceful just makes my entire outing well worth while. Nothing quite like it for cleansing the mind and soul. :wink:

But then ripping a trough thru the water, getting the rail buried for a long run and feeling the wind in my face makes it a lot better. :lol:

Keep on posting to let us know about your outings. Lots of builders have a ways to go yet to get to that same feeling. The stories and photos when available help to motivate and keep the vision alive. :D

Great read. Man, you got it! That's the deal. It's not about building boats it's about sailing them.

Stump...you read this dude? Get on it! You are doing all that crappy sanding and time spent so you can own a sailboat and sail it!

Bill and Barry...you guys nailed it. Doesn't matter what I am doing on a boat...even when I worked on them while in the water (which was a LOT)....just being on the water is the best place a person can be.

Even riding the giant BC Ferries over to Vancouver Island, as often as I do this, I love it every time. Last time across it was blowing 28knots down the straight and the water looked amazing. How do I know it was blowing that hard?... I knocked on the bridge door and asked :lol: