Yard Sale motor question

yoyoecho

Coming home at lunch today I pasted a yard sale and sitting right out front was a Mercury 1964-66 Model Merc 60 http://www.oldmercs.com/196466Merc60.htm

Starts first pull and looks to be in great shape the guy wants $375 for it. It is also a short shaft ( will this work on a weekender) have not been able to find pricing on the net and was wondering if this is a good deal or a good deal for someone else?

At first it sounded like its high to me, but a quick Google using "Used Outboards" as the search terms resulted in a few links with older outboards going for around $500. Wow!

You don't really need a 6hp outboard for the Weekender; unless you're fighting a reallyl strong current, a 2 - 3hp will do fine. But it doesn't appear they are much cheaper than the other small outboards up to about 9.9 hp. Ebay has listings with active bids going on for $300 or so for the smaller outboards (check out http://search.ebay.com/3-HP-OUtboard_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8)

So perhaps that's a good deal ... you don't have to worry about the shipping costs that can add another $50 to $60 to the deal if you buy off Ebay.

Thanks for the link Frank. Tim did you have to do anything to beef up your transom for the 6hp. I have seen the pic of the type motor mount that you use. And all your other pic too. I think I might see if I can get this guy to come down a little it is a yard sale. Maybe $300 cash can make use both happy (or at lest me) :lol:

I also recommend Max. If you have an old outboard, he is the man. He has helped me a bit as well.

Mr. Yo. Yes the transom has a 3/4 ply outer support piece and a mating inner 3/4" support piece.

The one on the outside of the transom is about 2" longer and wider than the bracket, hollowed and shaped to mate with the curve of the transom. The outer piece is painted inside and out. This piece is bedded and screwed to the transom...then the inner 3/4 piece is also curved to match the transom, but goes tight from the deck carlin down to the doubler at the base of the transom, over to the hull side transom joint, but only a third of the way across towards the center line.

This one acts like a big washer. Everything is through bolted with 3/8 stainless carriage and nylocks on the inside with fender washers. I guess that means the transom, at this point is actually 1 3/4" thick.

That is what I did, though if I had built the boat from scratch I would have beefed up the actual joints. As it is, I have re-glassed most of the outer joints when I removed the sternpost.

That should hold it for a month or two.

There are two more 3/4" inner pieces, one down the center and a bookmatched version of the port side inner doubler on the strbd side. The inner being to support the rudder gudgeons and the strbd to support the swim ladder.

In all, I think there is are two 1/2" wide vertical areas where there are no doublers back there.