More pictures!!!

smoolie671

Just got done stepping the aft mast and attaching the fighting top. I still have the uneviable task of sanding it round. When I sanded the foremast Imade a huge mess. Everything was covered in redwood dust. I even looked like a red head! I think I'm going to get some of those coveralls that have the hood. That way all I have to do is wash off my face. Anyway, Back to work!

post-531-129497640511_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640518_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640526_thumb.jpg

The Stevenson's are a fan of the Surform Shaper, and until I built my Weekender, I wasn't sure why. But when I used one I quickly figured it out ... you can shape wood quickly without creating a lot of dust.

I'm sensitive to dust, so I use a Surform or block plane to get things close, then sand the last little bit. For the mast shaping, especially with the soft redwood, I think a Surform would work great!

I think your right about the sure form shaper. I dont know How I got this far without one. At the risk of sounding a bit dull' date=' can they be found at Lowes or Home Depot?[/quote']

Yep, they are almost everywhere. They have one that is about 8" long with two handles that works almost like a plane, then a variety of shorter ones. I usually have the long one and then a short little one that has a cutter head about 1" by 2" long, and is curved. It gets into small areas pretty effectively.

I guess I just didn't see it when I looked for it. Of course I was probaly looking in the wrong area. It dosen't help that you can't find an employee to ask in either of those stores to save your life. So I'll try harder today when I go back.