Why am I doing this. Long.

yoyoecho

Other than the fact that I run my business from home and would go nuts if I did not have a project to work on. I am building this boat for my mother and father. (Flash back) My parents grew up in MA on the coast and both sailed all the time and even raced against each other before they ever met. My father still have more trophies filling up boxs in the basement then he knows what to do with. We grew up always having boats everything from cabin cruisers to hobie cats but my father always said that sailing was the only true way to go. I have also sail most of my life when I was 16 I work as a live in nanny during the week I would watch the kids but on the weekends they had a 32 foot dory that we sail out of RI. They would watch the kids and I would put on my walkman turn up some U2 and head to block island or where ever struck my fancy, it was up to me. During High school if I was not in school I could be found on a 16' bright yellow hobie with sunburst sail running up and down the beachs of fairfield county CT.

Now I'm older living in VA and have 3 kids of my own. About 10 year ago my parents came out for thanksgiving and my mother died (was down for over 20 minutes once we got her to the hospital) before they were able to get her back. She spent the past 10 years in and out of the hospital having more operations than I can even count. My father quit his job and got an RV and spent the next few years living in hospital parking lots as he took allover the country to the doctors how could do the required operations, when he was not taking care of her full time at home. He started doing some software design and before we knew it I quit my job as a network engineer and we were in business together. Lots of bills no income. But my father reminded himself everyday day why he was doing it by taking a picture of his retirement property on a lake in TX and making it the splash screen when our software opens. My parents are the type people that would give you the shirt of their backs and not ask for a thing in return. They have always said that when they die not to look for any money because they were going to use all of it to give us every opportunity while they are alive. And they have.

Well to cut a long story short. Around X-mas I found out that at one point when we were still getting the company off the ground that he sold his boat to cover pay roll. This meant that he no-longer had any way to get to his lake property. About this time my brother, sister, and I were planing a week on cape cod with all 9 grandkids for my parents 60th birthdays. That is when it hit me I want to build a weekender for myself but I really wanted to build one for my parents and what better place to give it them then on their own home waters. That is when I developed the plan. My sister the wood carver http://www.customcarvedhorses.com would make the figure head (seahorse head) my brother would be the money man and I get to do the rest. Ever since we were born every boat we have had has been named the Tradaj ( Tracy, David, and Jay) Every one wants to name it Tradaj V for the fact that growing up we were a family of 5 and each of us have had 3 kids making all of us familys of 5. But this is not their boat for kids it is for them so I am going to name it after my mother Maureen.

Well that is it sorry get a little long winded. The trip is the last week in July and I have told everyone that there is no way that I will have it done by then, and that I will bring the wheel and some pictures, but I think I can if I work hard and don't run in to to many problems. Then I can just show up with it.

great story, very touching. i think considering your inspiration, you could get it done in time. if you want to cut a good deal of time off the project, just add a couple of reinforcement ribs to the cabin walls and leave the cabin "unfinished" until you have time. they may have better ideas for how they want it finished anyway. good luck