What is this Boat Rein thing?

Greg Luckett

Looks like one of those retractable dog leash things. How stiff is the spring? What is coiled in the reel? Cable or line? It looks to me like you might clip that thing to a ring on a dock. Or maybe it is used to put some tension on a dodger?

How about you clip it to your pants so if you fall overboard, the spring retracts and flips you back into the boat? :D

I guess I really don't know but now I'm jealous because I don't have any on my boat.

:lol:

The spring is barely strong enough to retract the line back onto the spool. The name, Boat Rein, makes me think it is supposed to tie the boat, but that certainly would not be effective on a 3000 LB boat. If they were more forward they might have been used as preventers. I have removed both of them and may just plug the deck holes and leave them off. :roll:

No, barely strong enough to retract the line.

Operation is: loosen the dog/clamp (two knobs sticking out), pull out however much line is wanted and/or available, tighten dog/clamp to hold the line, snap shackle to something.

I do not think it was to a dodger or anything like that since none of the other mounting hardware is, or has been present.

This has been puzzling me for a couple of years now.

Ha! Double Ha! I found it!

"Provides 36' of retractable, 1/4" braided, nylon anchor line neatly spooled on a spring-loaded reel. The entire reel mechanism is concealed in a protective canister which installs easily beneath the deck or gunwale, leaving only the Perma-Plated ZAMAK handle and stainless steel line ring exposed. When it's not in use, the handle serves as a convenient cleat. Loosen the handle to unreel the line, then tighten the handle to stop and lock the line at any point."

10257.jpg

http://shop.torresen.com/shipsstore/shopping/details.php?mfc=ATTWOOD&sku=10257&prod_name=Anchor%20Rein%20W/36'Retract%20Rope

SHAZZAM!!!!!! :multi:

I would never have guessed it was an anchor line. It is obvious that it should never have been installed on a boat as heavy as my Laguna 24. Just another indication of the quality of the PO. :lol: .

I wonder if it might have been used to teather something else on my boat?

Anyway....THANKYOU for finding the answer. Next question is: How in the world did you find it?.

:D

Greg, I could see using it for a "lunch anchor"--something you could toss out while you are eating your lunch. You certainly wouldn't want to go to sleep with something like that tethered to a small hook but for a little while in relatively calm water you'd be alright. I wonder why the PO would have put two of them on the boat. Maybe figured if one anchor is good, two are better. Might be until the boat swung around a time or two and twisted the lines together.

Maybe he used them as tacking aids. "Ready about! Release windward anchor! Helm's alee! Haul in the lee jib sheet! Haul up the anchor!"

My pleasure finding it. I started with a search for "boat rein" and saw "anchor rein" in one of the hits so I tried a search under that and voila'!

Would it have been located about right to be used as a spring line while at the gas dock? Just for quickie tieups like that?

Maybe on a small dinghy, but not on the Laguna 24. I may put one on Dragon and the other one on Nellie's Tender, for anchors.

Greg are these located anywhere near the gas caps? They could have once been grounding lines that someone replaced with rope. ?????

Craig, no, not anywhere near gas caps. The Laguna 24 uses an outboard anyway. I think Dave has hit on it.

Thanks for helping solve this puzzle. :) Sort of like a "who did it" mystery?

It is used on "bass boats" for temporary holding the boat in place until the fishermen want to zoom off to a new and hotter fishing spot. A better heeled fisherman would have an electric winch to do the job by pushing a button.

I remember crewing on a Lightning that had similar devices to store halyards and other lines not in use at the time.

It is used on "bass boats" for temporary holding the boat in place until the fishermen want to zoom off to a new and hotter fishing spot. A better heeled fisherman would have an electric winch to do the job by pushing a button.

I remember crewing on a Lightning that had similar devices to store halyards and other lines not in use at the time.

That bit about the Lightening has started me thinking again. Maybe these were used to hold something rigging wise? They are too far aft for boom preventers and are just foreward of the jib winches. :?

Well Greg you can just run up the road to Torrenson ( Formerly Smith's Diggings) when you need more. I can see them on bass boats in shallow water but not on that 24. Do you suppose this was for a second anchor to control swining on the main hook? This has been an interesting scavenger hunt.