Trailers

Dave R1

I've been thinking. Always a bad sign. Anyway, I'm thinking that if my boat sat lower on the trailer I could launch her in shallower water.

I can't do anything about the boat sitting lower on the trailer but...I've got a Karavan KB1250 which has springs for suspension. I'm considering replacing the springs with these

224221_lg.jpg

Rubber Axle Torsion units.

These would bolt directly to the frame and can be had with the axle in various positions relative to the pivot.

Has anyone here ever used these sorts of axles?

I've been thinking. Always a bad sign. Anyway, I'm thinking that if my boat sat lower on the trailer I could launch her in shallower water.

Dave,

Get a longer tongue on the trailer. The longer tongue will allow you get the trailer out into deeper water at the ramp. Most trailerable keel boats have a telescoping trailer tongue. There are some after market tongue extenders available too. Also, there are some DIY plans on the internet. Personally, I had a friend make a 24 inch extender for my weekender trailer. It is simply a bar that fits in my receiver hitch and has a ball on the other end. It seems to be enough for the few times I've needed the extra length.

Jeff, I thought about that. My other reason for switching to the torsion axles is to improve the ride. I was going to just take a leaf out of each spring but then I thought that these things are cheap enough, and they are supposed to improve the towing characteristics.

Besides, a lot of the ramps around here don't extend far enough out into the water. To get the boat into deep enough water to float the trailer wheels usually end up dropping off the end of the ramp.

I bought a trailer extension to use when I tow with my wife's durango. I decided it was smart after I sank the exhaust under water. Okay I guess as long as you don't turn the engine off.

The clencher was after I drove the bow sprit into the back door panel. :oops:

Dave you may have a good idea there.

Mike

I was supposed to have the V members on my trailer but the guy who built it underbid the job and just finished it up as he wanted it.. The price was right so I took it, but, is is hard to load and unload being so high. I have seen these on full axils for about $140 or so but never just the spindle like this. What is the max load rating for them?

Next to a good woman comes a good trailer, make that the very best you have knowledge of and will forgo a series of night outs with that woman. :wink: Consider the amount of time spent on a project and the trailer will come out ahead, hands or must I say wallet down.

I wish I had a trailer with the dropped cross members as one of my favorite launches is very shallow and more times than not I can not launch there (Joel knows the place ;) ).

I am finishing up framing in and roofing my carport with the hopes of putting Fire Escape in there (this is why I haven't been around lately). Since I was going with the framing as it exists, my boat/trailer combination will be about 9" too long. :shock: Now I have to more the boat forward on the trailer to make it fit. No major problem except the launching thing that has already beeen pointed out.

I am going to fabricate a telescopic tongue extension for launching.

tractor supply company has those rubber mount axle units in stock as well as a varied supply of drop type axle units that will set your trailer lower. airstream trailers have been using that system for decades. works for me.

I once just made a trailer with a straight axle and 14 inch wheels and radial car tires. ran a lower air pressure and the give in the tires absorbed the road shock. just simple and sweet. they also have them in the northern tool catalog along with an assortment of drop axles too . just call 1 800 533 5545 to order or to get a catalog. they ups too. as always the best to all . I am still stuck in the shop for a while so think about me while you are on the water. 15 sec should be enough . thanks barnacle bill

These axils may be a good change out next time I need springs. My springs and bushings were ~$20 each at the local trailer place. I had a terrible time getting all the bolts out. Years ago you would grease everything up real good but now they will lock you up in a heart beat!