test fit gone wrong...

Kenny C

I am working on a one sheet plywood canoe for my daughters. I thought it would be a good day to test fit for seating dimensions, brought it in, got the ends tied together, set in two step stools for the seats with hopes of measuring for the fit. Before I got a tape measure out, this is what happened. After I took the picture, it was filled to the brim with stuffed animals, toys, blankets, video tapes, DVD's and CD's by little sister, follwing big sister's orders. Then the request was for a tea party in the boat. So much for productivity. :roll:

I did get them to help me with the construction... they ran the vacuum while I drilled the holes to tie the ends. We had to work clean, since we were working on the kitchen table, we wouldn't want Mom to catch us! :lol:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Well, in order to fix the problem, you must trace the pieces on another piece of plywood and do it all over again. Then you will have one inside to look at fulltime, with two assistants and four more eyes to find out where you went wrong, for future memories, and test boats for the durability issues. Thumbs up. It will only get better, with time, both the fits and the the memories.

Not to distrach from the fun and enjoyment, but here is some reading materials that will give folks basic skills and education, before venturing into a larger product and tying up a bunch of funds. Sometimes the most simple of boats, and even the smallest ones, have a way of giving a lot of hours of fun and memories.

http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/oss/oss.htm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/skiff.htm

Here is a link for a free download for the the square stern:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/plans.htm

Here is a step up model, that is a breeze to build and very cheap and functional.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/gem.htm

before venturing into a larger product and tying up a bunch of funds

Exactly... I am going to learn how to work with the fiberglass on $25 worth of wood, and see how it goes. (how much room for slop is there?) :wink: Lots cheaper and less frustrating than building the boat of my dreams, then having to look at rookie mistakes for ever, or worse yet, rework it after the fact. Fringe benefit, the girls will probably have more memories about the boat that Dad built for them to learn in, rather that just the boat we scooted around the lake in.

That's not a bad plan at all. That's one reason I don't get too worked up about people using ACX plywood, scrounged materials, etc. Now, if you're going to sail away into the sunset for your circumnavigation, then that's another issue ... but for a first boat, and learning the ropes, cheap material can get you started.

Usually, working with better materials is easier, so the one caveat I have is that you may run into problems with cheaper stuff that you won't have with better materials.

I still contend[okay let me duck under the radar screen here] the very best wood for small boats and the old saying the learning curve issue, is to invest in 1/4 inch luan, for learning to layout boats and in S&G construction before using the good stuff. Yes there maybe some void areas in the stupid ways the inner cores are done, causing some to snap in tighter turns, since there are so many grades of the stuff, and then transfer the cut pieces to the good woods. Keep in mind that you should always cut a tad bigger than your measurements and if using battens to do curves dictate. Woods in the thicker size will not always bend the same, that meaning as tight, creating large gaps in the bow areas, in most cases. You can miscut sometimes five pieces for the price of one sheet of occume stuff, or llike minded stuff. Pattern everything in the beginning for thebeginning builder. [smack, slam, ugg!!!!#@&%())))$$))))))]

Ask myself why did I hit reply? :wink:

Hey Kenny, I had a good laugh when I read this thread because I've done exactly the same. :lol: Building kids boats on the dining table. :lol:

Here's an album of photos if you're interested. There's some test fit ones just like yours. ( I haven't been able to post pictures here for some reason)

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292096801

does this work? nope. I removed it.. just the dreaded red x.

Absolutely Oyster. Thats why I jumped in. Anyone contemplating it ,just do it.Get some cardboard or mdf and sew a pattern up until it looks right.

The first one I built was a crank horrible looking thing but was used for 2 years. The top photo is Scoot 2.. a flattie which was a good little unit for about 3 or 4 years and Zip, one of the current boats. and the others Zip in make and "testing". The last boat is Scram built nov 2003( in the album ) and that wee boat has lived the life of 10 years in 2 seasons after being thrashed by every kid who's seen it. LOL. Its the one with the fabric print covered bottom.

I suppose what I'm saying is that despite the trouble of carrying the things around, its well worth it when you see the independence and the skills develop in the kids.

So I'm with you Kenny. and its worth it.

thanks for putting the pics up Oyster.

Too Cool! :D

Definitely time to go looking for the local epoxy supplier. Alongwith the basement work, I get to add heat to the garage. Hopefully I can get some project time in soon. The ice should be off the lakes in a couple months!

I looked through your photo album, beautiful scenery. I'd love to go paddling around those islands. I'm sure the kids are having fun with the adventures.

I must tell you, I have a very special place in a corner of my heart for watching children grow up on boats, especailly wooden or any form of wooden boats. We have been lucky on this board, so far, pertaining to kid friendly posts. This year's calendar also allows for us to see the fun and enjoyment in our next generation of kids. If you do not have one, its not too late, I don't imagine to purchase one from the store. Its well worth its price for a personal trainer in motivation, for us all, to push forth our projects to completion. The kids and even us aren't getting any younger. :shock: Yep, thats a reality check for sure.

All of mine were introduced to them while still in diapers and have not forgotten the fun times and rewards that this has brought to their lives. Sorry to crash this thread, but seeing those big eyes and smiles of the little ones, of so many members of this and other boards, just makes my day. This is now my 24 year old, and has since moved on to bigger ones, in his profession, but still will spend his time and some limited funds messing about in wooden skiffs, when given the chance to on his off hours. Thanks guys for allowing me to be sucked into this thread. [spoken with a bit of hickup in my voice] :oops:

Thanks for allowing a bit of self indulgence on this thread. :)

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]