OT: Router Extention

Bill

I have very little room to work or set up a shop. I'm always trying to cram something in, with little to no space available. One thing I wanted was a router table. I had a small cheap one years ago, but I'm not even sure what happened to it. Watching some of the wood working shows on TV, I decided my solution was to add an extention to the table saw, and incorporate, an older, bulky router I had. (still worked fine)..It really kills two birds with one stone. I wanted a bit of an extention to the table saw, and I could mount the router inside of it.

The Rousseau Co., ( http://www.rousseauco.com/model3509t.htm )offers a base plate kit (and mounting template) so you can do it yourself. You CAN Do-it-Yourself anyway, without any kit, but for a few bucks, the install with their kit is pretty easy and nice and tight. (complete with levelers etc.)

I think that some other folks who lack work space may benefit from the idea.

I added an on/off switch (standard Home Depot junk) for a coupla extra bucks.

I routed a groove, to use my Band saw miter guage for small pieces.

I built a "wrap around" for my table fence out of scrap to make it multi-duty for the router extention.

Anyway, it's a good idea for those with limited room..

Just a thought to pass on..

B.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Nice solution. Mine was similar. I have an old Craftsman shop saw that (several years ago) I upgraded the fence system and added a router table extension, both from Sears. I do not recall the cost for sure but it seems like all of it was under $200-300. I am very pleased with my "new" table saw. Recently I upgraded the router to one that has 1/2" arbor.

I did a similar thing, but I have mine as a separate router table sized to fit between the rail extensions on my table saw. It lives there nearly all the time, but I can move it out to the "big side" of my three car garage if I need more room.

The Rouseau plate was also the way to go for me; it even has a bit of a crown to it, so when you hang the average router on it its flat.

I have three router tables, one just like Greg's, a homemade one attached to a work bench, and a really good one which I got for Christmas. The sears one on my table saw is terrible, the fence dosen't line up and the level of the router table will not line up even with the table saw's table. The one I made years ago is normally cover up with junk and too much trouble to clean off. The good one has a great fence, easy to change bits and folds for storage. I took the great switch from the Sears unit and mounted it to this table. Also the Sears unit's fence, had to be taken off each time I used the saw. All in all I'm now happy with my router setup.

I have three router tables' date=' one just like Greg's, a homemade one attached to a work bench, and a really good one which I got for Christmas. The sears one on my table saw is terrible, the fence dosen't line up and the level of the router table will not line up even with the table saw's table. The one I made years ago is normally cover up with junk and too much trouble to clean off. The good one has a great fence, easy to change bits and folds for storage. I took the great switch from the Sears unit and mounted it to this table. Also the Sears unit's fence, had to be taken off each time I used the saw. All in all I'm now happy with my router setup.[/quote']

Gee, Arnie, I wonder why your Sears unit is so different from mine? It lined up just fine and I use both the table saw fence and the router table fence as needed. Could it be that I have just gotten lucky for a change? :lol:

Greg, The pic of your Craftman router looks just like mine. I could not get the router table to come up the level of the table saw. There is about 3/16" differance between the two. I even redrilled the mounting holes but still could not fit them together so both were even with each other. I like the one I got for Christmas much better as I can remove the router along with the plate to change bits so much easier and can leave it setup and still use my saw. The switch that came with the Craftsman is great so I used it on my good unit. I'm glad yours worked out OK.

Arnie, I wonder if something was changed on it since you got yours? You know I recall that the router table is not supposed to be attached to the saw table except via the fence extensions, or something like that. I am grabbing some supper and must return to work in a couple of minutes, but I will double check that.

I did a similar thing, but I have mine as a separate router table sized to fit between the rail extensions on my table saw.

I did make the table to fit between the two rails too. I doubt I'll need to move it, but it is movable. I think we both own the Jet Contractors saw. If I remember I bought mine after you had suggested it a few years ago. (and still love it..)

How come I don't see prices on their site??

I just grabbed that link to show the product. If memory serves, both the template and the actual router platform cost under $40.00 for the two items together. They are available at woodworking stores, I bought mine at a local "Western Tool" and I think Wood-Workers warehouse carried them.

I think you will find a lot of uses for the router table. It is a lot easier to do some of the projects when you can move the work piece across a stationary router than the other way around.

I think it's a lot safer too. I hate to set up a bunch of guides just to cut a simple dado or round over an edge. I never use the Freud Dados on the saw unless I have a lot of work to do. Keeping a quarter or half-inch straight bit set up in it, comes in very handy without having to dig up a router, clean up an area to use it, and usually unplugging something to plug the router in..just for something quick...

used to swear by Craftsman tools. Not anymore! I finally got rid of the table saw and went back to two old Deltas.

unfortunatly, I have heard this time and again. I went through two of their table saws before I gave up. Maybe I just liked Craftsman because thats what my Dad always had for hand tools. I will still use their wrenches and such but for the most part, I'll leave the big tools to someone else...

Unfortunatly for many companies to stay competitive they need to job all this stuff out overseas, but I won't bother to go there right now...I agree with you though...

I love my Jet contractor's saw ... and I too suffered with a 1980's era Craftsman saw that didn't cost me much used, but sure used up my patience! My dad's old 1940's Craftsman saw is a great piece of equipment, but the stuff from the 60's on had aluminum trunnions, and the table alignment would move because of it. I could never keep it aligned.

The saws that Craftsman had that were bad were made by Emerson, who then made the Ridgid saw for Home Depot. I think the current Craftsman saws are made by Ryobi, and I see that Home Depot is going back to Ryobi for their saws. I still prefer the Jet first, Delta second, and then Powermatic, but they are all close enough to be "firsts" in my book. Just a bit farther down is the Grizzley, but only because I've heard of spotty quality ... the one we have in our shop at work is fine.

The one Craftsman saw I just got rid off had terrible run out. replaced over $125 worth of parts and it still performed terrible. :(

I used to use there hand toold and loved them (wrenched, etc). Several years ago when I broke a socket I had it replaced; it broke within about 4 weeks. :evil: Not to mention it wasn't even made from the same casting!!

When possible, I buy old tools at garage sales etc, because of the quality.

BTW one of my Delta's was my grandfather's, 1947, jointer 1948 (still have owners manuals and purchase receipts). The other delta is a 1969 model; with about $80 in parts it is dead on true! :)

Still love my old B&D routers also, too bad they don't make them anymore either.......

Jake (and all),

I did find this web site that carries some materials for building your own router table along with quite a few accessories (Knobs, t-track, UHMV etc.). Some of the prices are real good and some seem a bit high...but, it may have just what you need for that little project or jig.

http://www.ttrackusa.com/track_%20systems.htm

Has anyone ordered from these folks? or have a link to another company with the same type of stuff?

b.

• 3 weeks later...

That is really a nice job. Looks really good. I like the exhaust system. I am using a secondary fence that is built to go over my regular TS fence, and I didn't really incorporate any type of vacuum and right now I regret that. Do you find that sucking up wood chips from the top of the table near the bit suffices? Or can the same thing be accomplished by using some sort of vacuum below the table at the hole opening work out just as well. I can see that I'll be back to the drawing board with a few ideas. I am thinking about just running my secondary fence, 'along side' the TS fence, plug up one end of the secondary, and attach the vacuum hose to one end, as yours looks.. Routers make such a mess.

Good Job..

If you suck down around the bit opening the whole router would be in a box where the dust is being sucked. That would be a No-No. Plus you wouldn't be able to make adjustments easy.

The setup I have works great. As you can see there is a tool box incorperated in the unit. This fills the dead zone of sucking chips too.

Here somemore detailed pix's. The box/plunim was made from melameane shelf boards they sell at the box stores.

fa8fafa6.jpg

fa8fafaa.jpg

fa8fafab.jpg

fa8fafaf.jpg

Well... I tried it and it's cool...good idea...

I took my old parts and managed to build a semi-prototype (if there is such a thing) from your idea. I think I will do a rebuild on the whole thing, just to make it more compact and workable with my existing guide. I had some chips fall, but I think that can be cleared up with a chute of sorts, and it's a minor concern, now that we have the major excess cleaned up.

I think you came up with a nice easy fix...Thanks..

These three photos show basically what I tried so far...

thanks for the idea/info..

When I make up my real version..I'll post it..

b.