Princess 22 Engine size?

I was just shopping the net for outboard engines. Ouch. I had no idea of the cost. Oh well, no worries. What is the recommended size outboard for the Princess 22? The webpage indicates a 4hp maximum for the Belhaven but I didn't see anything about the PS22.

I suppose what I really need to ask is how small can I go and how big can I go and what are the advantages/disadvantages either way?

Michael

I have a Gloucester 22' sailboat about 800lbs heavier than a P22. A 6hp 2 stroke Evinrude produces more than enough power to drive the boat to hull speed even with a strong headwind. A fellow sailor powers his lighter 21' Mcgregor with a 4hp Yamaha 4-stroke with equally good results. Both of these boats are significantly heavier than a P22. Several friends who have Rhodes 22's use 8 or 9.9 hp Yamahas and Tohatsus but that boat is about 3200lbs in cruising trim. Ted Brewer NA recommends powering at 3-5hp per ton of displacement, the higher figure is better if you anticipate bucking strong currents in coastal areas. I would figure 4hp minimum.

Razz

I used a 5HP Honda 4 stroke on my Catalina 22, wing keel, which pushed her to hull speed and did well against river currents and wind on Lake Michigan. Most of the time I was at 1/2 throttle for hull speed. It had a power prop rather than a speed prop.

If you watch the want adds in the Denver papers in the spring there will be a variety of small outboard for sale over a period of time. Some of them are not used much.

I bought a new Tohatu 5 hp 4 stroke Long shaft for my CS 20 over the internet. More motor than needed. I went to 5 for full gearshift and the remote tank was included. The only place I have used it other than break in at Cherry Creek was on Lake Superior. I did not really need it there but wanted it just in case. The motor works great but if I had it to do over I would have bought a used 2 stroke for much less money so I could store it any old way without have a potential problem. You are not supposed to stand the 4 stroke on it's head. Just lay it on the tiller side if necessary. With the Princess that is probably not a problem since the motor will probably travel in the motor well.

One thing to consider in Colorado is altitude. A gas motor will not have as much power at 9,000 ft as at sea level.

Does the P22 take a short shaft or long shaft?

Terry, you have just asked my next question. I don’t know if it takes a long shaft or short shaft. I presume someone will tell me. Bye the way, does your CS20 have aluminum masts and did you find them locally? And did you find a local supplier for lead?

I like the consensus for a small 4 or 5 HP engine. I noticed the price went up steeply for motors larger than that. The 4stroke is probably the way I will try to go (unless I find a deal I can’t refuse on a 2stroke). I am a former 4stroke dirtbike racer and grew to hate the clouds of smoke produced by the 2stroke competition. And as Terry pointed out it will live in the OB well and just like the dirtbike I plan to carry it or lay it upside down as little as possible. :)

Travis runs his Princess with a short shaft motor. A long shaft wouldn't have room to tilt up in the motor well. He is using a 2 stroke, 8 hp. That's way more motor than needed but he got a great deal on it so he bought it.

Don't get too large a motor- you'll not be running a bigger motor in it's power band and you'll have problems with plugs fouling. I'd say 5 - 6 HP would do for most anywhere you'd want to run the boat.

Charlie said it right. The boat was designed for a short shaft outboard in the 4 - 6 hp range. A long shaft outbard will not clear the transom without moving the bulkhead and robbing the cockpit of room.

Chicks P22 could run at 6 knots with a 6 hp 2 stroke and 7 knots wide open.

It is not worth compromising her sailing qualities with more HP.

The CS 20 is not ballasted so I did not have to mess with lead.

There are local suppliers for the aluminum tubing. I got an estimate from one place, don't remember the name. I bought my tubing in 8' sections from online metals. Only $23 shipping UPS. Longer sections can't be sent UPS.

I looked at a used 4hp LS two stroke before I bought my 4 stroke. The cloud of smoke when it first started convinced me to go with the 4 stroke.

http://onlinemetals.com/

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#