It is freakin SNOWIN in south Texas

Charlie Jones

I apologize for the rant. But everything I outlined is published in peer reviewed scientific journals and has been reported often in TV documentaries and the popular scientific press as well. It is not new, most of it was well established by the late 70s. What is more recent is the determination of prehistoric atmospheric conditions that triggered major past climate changes. This came from analysis of polar region soil and ice cores in comparison with modern atmospheric and earth science records, which only go back about 100 years. Most of this work was done in the 80's and 90's.

The science is sound enough that current recorded average increases in ocean and atmospheric temperatures were accurately predicted in college courses I took in the early 70's. Scientists can accurately model the warming trend, but not what the resulting climate changes will be. Only that the more extreme the average temperature increase, the more extreme the changes will be.

The science is real, the politics is what we choose to make of it.

Razz

The 100 year also dates to part of the cycle that was part of the natural cooling which has also been determined as being a natural trend of climate changes. Showing the increase of not much more than one degree, since the 100 year full record keeping, and as being a trend of increase, also fitting for the political part of the discussion. Yes factual numbers are what they are, but how you got to the numbers, needs to looked at in context, keeping in mind, the world seems to be doing a very natural thing, sine man and woman was created, or evolved or ....... SO its not just one sided here. Future scientists are being created as is future soccer moms. Think about it. We all share the blame, along with the planting of trees. Did you know that one of last years latest magazine, from the Science News has found that trees are endangering our planet?

It's a Gas: Trees emit unknown volatile substances

Sid Perkins

The chemical reactions taking place just above a northern Michigan forest hint that trees there and elsewhere may be emitting highly reactive gaseous substances that scientists haven't yet identified or directly detected.

Methane gas is genrated by rotting wood and wetlands'. Too many trees is bad, So we must must do our part and chop down as many trees as possible, and get to building wooden boats, for the rise in the water levels, right now. Boats makes for bettter conversation, and it something we all can enjoy, regardless of the outcome of the smog over our nations capital.

Charles, I also predict by Sunday night, it will be getting cooler out your way. You may have some more evil weather coming your way. SO be careful out there :twisted: .

Thanks, Capnrazz -- since I didn't get here as fast, you took the bullet.

Guys, like it or not, global warming is not only the growing consensus of the scientific community (and yes, they know about the cycles), but the projections have been getting worse, not better. This ain't politics -- unless politicians choose to ignore it. Recent models show we could be looking at extinction of a high fraction of all species in ours and our kids lifetimes. (They can't migrate fast enough to stay in their climatic zones, or [due to habitat destruction] have no place to migrate to.) I would not choose to live in a world dominated by Norway maples, cockroaches and rats.

Jeff

I think everyone's had their say on this one, so I'm going to close the thread before the conversation heats up. We don't really enforce being "on-topic" around here, and everyone has been civil, adhering to our One Rule. So nothing against anyone who posted, but this one is now closed.