Where am I? EEKKSS!!!!!

Well, yesterday we were cutting the grass, raking the leaves and tending the garden of fresh lettuce, cabbage, collards, carrotts, and soul food collards. I awoke to find that someone must have moved my house, during the night, to the North Pole. :shock: Dang it, around Zero chill factor, and winds around 35 knots.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Mike,

You have more snow than we do. We have managed one little spurt about a month ago and nothing since.

Weather has been rather warm for here in December with highs in the 40's and 50's until yesterday. Started out at 6 degrees and never went above 25 or so. :cry: :cry: Still no snow :):)

Weather guessers are calling for some flurries this week, but not enough for a white Christmas. This is our last winter here in Nebraska, so it can be very mild as far as we are concerned.

Steve

I have just returned from the ice skating rink known as the roadways here, with no equipment to deal with this issue. We get this about once or twice a year, where it rains ahead of the front, and then drops thirty degrees and then snows and blows it butt off and freezes everything up. Then the sun comes out and melt a bit, and about four in the afternoon begins it journey down and a bigger layer of ice forms on the raods making it even worse than the first day. I will be making rounds with my wife, tonight, seeing some cancer patients, at home, to give some of their prescribed treatments. Some of the on call nurses, live down in an area that two lane roads, across many islands connected by bridges, are totally impassable. We have no problems dealing with just snow. But it only takes one inch of ice to shut the town down for a better part of a week, when we get this conditions such as happend last night and this morning.

By the way, Greg, I see some bushes. Most of the time, you gang, up there, plan a BBQ around such Indian Summer weather that it appears that you are enjoying right now. :lol:

Whilst out here in 'insane Diego' we are in the midst of a Santa Anna.

Wind off the desert, temps in the 70's during the day and low 40's at night.

Hummmaddity is about 20-32%! You can imagine what that does the the wood stash.

When I got word of the pending S.A. I went around like a madman with thinned Waterlox and cheap brush slathering every end of every piece of wood I have in the ready room. Most were freshly cut to size ( + ).

Glad I fudge a bit until the final finish cut.

'eyrster' I hate to see all those fine veggies get frost bit!

You folks be careful with those roads.

Here I sit in Minnesota with not a speck of snow to be seen. :D It's been cold enough that the ice looks good. Wish I had Konrad's iceboat. Actually we're likely to get a bit a snow/rain mix today.

There is supposed to be a national, or maybe international, iceboat regatta and races there soon.

Most of the vegetables will make it, as they are meant to be in cooler weather, as long the weather does not stay for a week or so below freezing. The old saying that it sweetens them up. But the old man fairs pretty bad, and the shop cost lots to heat. So go away, old man winter, now. You have already been here a week too long. :evil: :lol: We are actually expecting snow for Christmas, now.

Yesterday the high was in the teens' date=' I took the afternoon off to go skiing. Today this high is near 50, I am thinking about launching the boat. Tommorrow looks like another good ski day. What a life.[/quote']

HEHE!!! I have been known to go fishing this time of year. But that will not happen this week. The film of ice is upon the creek here, where the trout are nesting. So boating will have to wait for a bit.

Alright Damnit! Enough of this, now they are predicting snow flurries here on Christmas Eve. I told that Hoser Pennington to please shut the door, but did he? Hell no! Now look at what he's done. I want this stopped now! Bah Humbug with this White Christmas nonsence... :lol:

This has been one nasty week for us, unlike even most winters where we get two days of cool or frost days and then back up to the managable 40 degrees in the day. But those guys in Texas and the Gulf are not use to such amazing feats. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Mike, too. It was so bad with being housebound, I even logged on and answered a question on Huckins, today, first time in a month over there. Not much has changed, I see. So what brings you over here? Are you starting another new project?

Go by you two 2x4 spruce pine at the lumber yard and practice on that, even gluing it up with yellow glue, clamping it, and then mark you lines for shapeing down and get the fell for it. Pick out as much clear sutff as you can, when investing this little bit in this project. If nothing else, just shape the edges around 1 inch, marking each side, and leave the rest of the mast almost rectangle. Use your grinder or power plane or just a hand plane, to remove the bulk of the wood. Practice makes perfect. WHen you get it pretty close to your liking, get you a large diameter piece of PVC pipe, rip it and buy you some really coare sandpaper, that fits on an air file, like 36 or 40 grit, that has the sticky back to it. Stcik that to the inside of teh half moon piece of PVC, made as described below. Take that and finish the edge rounds to a uniform shape. Then finish sand it with a finer grit paper.

I take the pvc pipe, and use a piece of 1x wood, the same outside diameter, screw it to the pipe, placing the board next to the fence of your table saw and rip it, and turn it over and rip the other side to a half moon shape.

Had the whole family in for four days, only to hibernate around the tv and computer screen. Now the sun is out and they have all returned to their appointed stations.