Finishing help please

Craig

The Awlgrip went on very nicely and flowed out as smooth as a piece of plastic. My problen is the little bits of dust that fell on the still tacky finish. What is the prefered method of dealing with this? 1500 wet and dry and then a polish or some other arcane technique? You folks who do this all the time must have a trick to deal with this issue. Help! :lol:

I thought that the approved method was to use words your mother wouldn't approve of, stomp inside and have a therapeutic ale or three.

Standing back the next day and asking yourself how big a problem this really is helps. Many a non-perfect finish has been un-noticeable in the real world and sometimes (though not often enough sadly), the imperfections are an improvement.

Hint - I don't know where the dust has landed on your boat but if it's a deck, think about the first time catch a squid and the rotten thing inks everywhere.

Richard

OK, I will say this,"sand, sand, sand and then sand some more. When done with that, sand again repeatedly. Then if you are satisfies, sand some more. Then you can start laying on the finish, of course you have to sand in between those applications also!!"

Maintenance? I haven't gotten there yet. ;)

Bah! I'm ALL German, and I didn't get all wound up over some of the inperfections. I wanted to actually SAIL my boat. Not have this 3 year project that was a floating piece of artwork that I was going to fret over every time I took it out.

Not dogging you, don't misunderstand. It's wonderfull to have pride in craftsmanship. My point is to remember that after just *one season* of launching and retrieving, you're gonna have a LOT more dings and things on your boat than some little specks of whatever in the finish. So just imagine what it'll look like after 1,000 years.

Trust me on that. :)