What is this?

Yellowtail

I've got a 12' dinghy. When I bought it, I was told it was a 'Torch' but the few photos I've seen of Torchs are of a different design - they are all double chine boats, this is a single chine.

So, what is it?

She's about 12'4" long (bit hard to measure accurately at the moment). Probably about 12' along the waterline.

Beam is 5'2" but that includes 1" of decking overlaping on each side so 5' to the outside of the hull.

Single chine.

Very flat V on the hull.

I think it originally had a gaff rig or gunter set up. Now she features a cobbled up marconi set up but that, of course, is of no help.

Dagger board.

Mast sits on the fore decking supported by a very heavy king plank.

Framed - very heavy frames.

Age? Sixties? Seventies? - ply with fibreglass tape on the seams but lots of nails holding things together.

She now features side tanks but they were added by the previous owner - the existing decking is how she came to him.

Any help, even if it's just pointing me somewhere else, would be appreciated. As I said earlier, she's always been described as a Torch but unless there were more than one design called the Torch, she ain't one of them.

I've attached two photos that show the hull shape. Other photos can be seen on my website.

Thanks

Richard

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Two hundred viewings and not even a whiff of sympathy. Help.

I admit, I realised that this was a long shot but was hoping for something. Please, someone suggest a design, even if it's the Battleship Tirpitz.

Seriously (pause for hysterical laughter), does anyone know of another site I might try? Perhaps a dinghy racing site or a website with a range of classes listed? The only UK dinghy forum I'm aware of has next door to no traffic and most sites listing classes are just for those used at a particular club. An historic racing site would be the go. I used to have a link for one but can't find it now.

As a side note, when I rejoined the ranks of single parenthood earlier this year, I renamed this boat - Henry VIII, after a bloke with a good attitude to ex-wives.

Richard

You might try the Wooden Boat Forum, as there are a fair number of Brits posting over there. I would try the "Design" forum there, as it is less political than some of the other forums (people tend to get excited about things over there, but they are mostly good folks.) There's a link to the forums from their home page at http://www.woodenboat.com

Thanks for that Barry. I'm searching through their data base at the moment and I've sent an email off to the admin of the site. Perhaps ...

Of course, the rotten thing might be a one off design by a backyard butcher. It might be rare and valuable. It might be a pain in the neck. But to me, it's just Henry. My boat.

Richard

OK, I'll fess up. It's a Stump. Thats right, I built and designed it back in 1804 for my trip with Lewis and Clark. I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner but I was im-bare-assed about how I had to repair her after all the portaging I had to do back in the day.... now you know the truth and the true STORY of the boat.

btw, I sailed her around the Horn to get her back to the east coast from the pacific... oh the STORIES I could tell. :wink: