(OT, again)...Bluefish in the Gulf?

Bruce S Kershaw

Anyone know if bluefish ever show up in the Gulf of Mexico?

We took some people out fishing in Pine Island Sound yesterday, and one of them caught something I've never seen before. (I've been fishing here a long time, so I'm thinking that whatever it was, it qualifes as an unusual catch.) I didn't take a picture, but it sure looked allot like the bluefish I find in books and on the net. ...Except it wasn't really blue. More of a green and silver. Hmmm...

Yes- there are Bluefish in the gulf. I've occasionally caught them here on the Texas coast. Not often but occasionally. Most are smaller than what are found on the Atlantic coast and NONE are the size that get caught up around Hatteras, but they are here. I suspect they usually stay further ofshore in the gulf. In Florida we frequently caught them around inlets, surf fishing.

Funny you should mention mullet. When I lived in Florida we really enjoyed smoked mullet. Moved over here to Texas and got told "them things ain't fit to eat" Same fish, from the same gulf :lol:

I love fresh blues- used to have a buddy in Jax who would bring the ones he caught to me cause he diddn't like 'em . His loss, my gain.

My wife doesn't like them either, but she's a tad strange cause she doesn't care for Kingfish either. Of course, neither of us really like flounder either- go figure :lol:

Hmmm... I always thought of bluefish as cold water, off-shore, and surf type fish. Ours came from a shallow, sheltered, black-water bay.

...But that's got to be what it was.

There's more than one species of fish that has eluded me over the last 30 some years, but I've never even heard anyone talk about there being bluefish in this area.

Oh, and I'll pass on the flounder too. :wink:

Flounder, "bland"??? I've always though it tasted like low tide! :wink:

Snook, IMHO, is about like Grouper, which along with Dolphin, (Mahi-mahi) is about as good as it gets.

I love a good piece of fish, but the best seafood comes from a shell of one form or another, and either crawls or ataches itself to rocks. (IMHO)

Andrew,

The dolphin he is referring to is Mahi-Mahi. We used to call them Bull Nosed Dolphin over in West Palm Beach. Great fishing when you get in a bunch of them on the weed line offshore. These are really fish!

These are NOT the Dolphin like Flipper, AKA Porpoise, or Bottle Nosed Dolphin. Those are mammals and air breathers.

Steve

Think I found it Steve

Its says it is also known as Dorado?' date=' Mahi-Mahi and Dolphinfish.

Ugly brutes ain't they?

Andrew[/quote']

Yep, but they had to rename them, because people were objecting to seeing "Dolphin" on menus! Its pretty good eating. I don't know how the mammal dolphin would taste, but I have no problem eating cows and deer!