epoxy and ventilation

markfitz

That's how I do it, though you should have a respirator to avoid the 'fumes' you can not smell (though I don't if it is well ventilated). The main thing with epoxy is the development of allergic reactions to it.

You will get a lot of differing opinions here, including mine. ;)

Epoxy doesn't have "fumes" per se, but my wife always found the smell it gives off objectionable. I hardly noticed that it smelled at all, perhaps a bit like peanuts. (Women can smell certain compounds easier than men can, so I'm used to this type of thing).

The main issue with epoxy is from contact with it. I've never heard of anyone developing "fume sensitivity", but have heard plenty of stories about skin allergies. So you have to limit contact with the bare skin as much as possible to head off developing an allergy (if you are going to develop one ... and none of us know if we are or not!)

As far as ventilation goes, the System Three MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is at http://www.systemthree.com/msds/MSDS_SystemThree_Resin.pdf, it states:

Respiratory Protection: Normally none is required when adequate ventilation is provided. In the absence of proper environmental control NIOSH approved respiratory is required. For emergencies' date=' a self-contained breathing apparatus or full-faced respirator is recommended.

[/quote']

Your epoxy manufacturer should have a MSDS available that will have similar precautions specific to their formula.

Personally I find that MAS has a more pleasant odor than WEST does. MAS smells faintly of cherries to me, while WEST has a slightly acrid "over-ripe apple" odor.

I don't find either particularly objectionable. In fact back when I was building my trimaran I sometimes epoxied smaller parts inside the cabin we lived in, just because it was chilly outside and the stuff wouldn't cure well out there.

In my limited time using 'botecoat' epoxy I have found that it gives off very little smell when mixing and gluing. But when sanding and drilling the hardened epoxy it produces an odour that I don't find particularly unpleasant - though my wife says it stinks! go figure

I use System Three, and the smell doesn't bother me, but the sanding dust is awful. Even if it's fully cured, I find that the dust tightens my lungs and makes me wheeze. I'm not sure if it's a chemical reaction, or simply the lung's natural distaste for tiny particulates. Now I hook up a vacuum to either my ROS or the Fein Multimaster and dust just disappears. When sanding by hand, I keep the vacuum inlet close by to mitigate the problem as much as possible.

This is not a scare post, but meant to be a post of information

Its the "smell" you don't smell that is the real problem. To just add to the other posts here, take a read at just these two links.

http://www.fram.nl/workshop/controlled_vacuum_infusion/allergy.htm

http://www.mrfiberglass.com/safety_information.html

I also present to you what happens if you choose to get lax with your care in working with the stuff. It may be cool to get your child to help, but use caution when working with resin in the uncured state and allowing them to help.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

I have to put my experience in too. THe respirator is a good idea, but as you can see by the photo coverage is important too. Including safety glasses. I wear long sleeves when I epoxy these days.

I have had some skin reactions with RAKA, and now use West, so far I have been okay. I also mean no slander against RAKA. The stuff has worked well for lots of others. However, what Oyster says, sensitivity can occur after multiple use to some users.

I have also epoxied my left tear duct closed while in an inclosed space. Argh! Almost as bad as getting stung by a yellow jacket in the corner of the eye. Swelled my eye shut for days. Thus my mention of safety glasses above. :roll:

A pin hole leak in a vinyl / surgical rubber glove is enough to set off a reaction once you've become allergic. The same applies to the sanding dust or vapour from the stuff "working". :evil: :evil:

You can get the same reaction from both the liquid mix or the dust from sanding . Do you really want that S H _ T _Y , redness and itching LIKE YOU'LL NEVER FORGET in your lungs ???????! :shock: :shock:

With or Without a prescription for "MOMETASONE" or similar ointment, the most relieving thing to do as soon as possible after exposure, is to tale a COOL shower to rid the skin of as much of the dust as possible. ( The cool or cold water keeps the pores closed and disallows the skin the ability to absorb the epoxy residue !

The next stage is to lather up completely, including your hair , ( That part only takes me a minute ), and gradually work the water temp up as high as you gan stand it ! this will "Cook" any infection irritation already started and WILL reduce the amount of itching. I've gotten out of bed to do that last treatment, the only way I could get enough relief to go to sleep !

BTW, I discovered that once you've become sensitive to epoxy, Resin powdered ( water mixed) will kick off the same reaction !

WEAR GLOVES, MASKS AND USE EXHAUST FANS I bought a 28" 3 speed square fan from Wal-Mart for $ 25.00 Cdn, built a temp closable opening in the "garage door" to blow the dusty air out and suck fresh air in from the other end ... WORKS great ! One hell of a lot cheaper than a "proper" commercial exhaust fanand if it "CROAKS", who cares !

I haven't seen any definitive information on why some people develop an allergy to epoxy and some don't ... but most who do develop the allergy do so after working with it for a while. At least in the accounts I've heard. So that leads me to believe that even if you haven't had a reaction yet, you could have in the future, and limiting exposure is probably a prudent thing to do.

I try to keep the stuff off my skin by using latex gloves and working carefully. I use good ventilation while sanding, and wear a mask, but with my beard the mask is of limited use. It helps, but without the ventilation, it wouldn't help much. I use a 20" box fan with a 20" furnace filter attached to it as a cheap filtration system. It works pretty well. I set the fan close enough that it really affects the dust I'm creating, and I make sure I'm working upstream of that draft the fan is creating. When I was working inside my Weekender, I placed the fan on the front hatch, blowing air out, so fresh air always came in through the companionway and past what I was doing.

But to the original point of the question, none of the MSDS I've read on epoxy say to use a respirator. They recommend a well ventilated area, and a garage qualifies (unless you've blocked off all the air vents). A garage also provides enough ventilation to use one of those catalytic heaters that attaches to the top of a 20# propane tank (look for the ones with the ODS ... oxygen depletion sensor). I don't need it here, but I know builders where it snows will use one of those to warm the garage enough to make working bearable.