Primer

Joel

I primed the lazarette with Behr latex primer. After drying for two days at 70 deg. I could still easily scrape the primer off with my thumbnail. This is only a problem where I epoxy coated the wood or have a fillet. So.... I decided to re-sand those areas. The primer sanded off easily. Is this typical? Would a longer drying time make the primer adhere better to the epoxy?

I was considering trying bulls Eye 123 primer. It supposedly sticks to anything including PVC, Glass, Tile etc. Has anyone tried this primer?

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11

Thanks, joel

For Paint or varnish to stick to epoxy you need to remove the epoxy blush left behind after the stuff hardens. I would sand all loose primer off, then scrub the area with soapy water and a nylon scrubber to remove the blush. Be sure to rise all of the soap off, and let dry, before re-priming.

Note: Dry sanding epoxy just spreads the blush over a larger area, either wash the area before sanding, or wet sand and rinse the while still wet

I did dry sand the epoxy and then washed everything down with clean water. I think I'll try to wash down again with soap and water as suggested and try again. Do you think ammonia would be good for this? I am just going to do a small area and see how it works out.

joel

I never seemed to run into the blush problem on either boat I have built. I have always washed with Lacquer thinner as recommended by One Ocean Kayaks. Haven't had anyting peel off yet.

http://oneoceankayaks.com/

See the epoxy tests page as well as other tests.

edited to say, I don't see this exact reference in the test page, though he did recommend it when I built the kayak.

My experience with latex primer was that it took a long time to get a hard surface. It dried well, but I could scrape it off for about a week. Latex overcoats took even longer ... I had to wait a month for the three coats I added (in quick succession!) to dry hard enough to flip the boat.

I think Bulls Eye is a shellac based primer (check the label). I don't have any idea how shellac works on epoxy, but I would guess it would be OK. It goes over everything else!

I have used hundreds of gallons of Kilz, oil base, on properly prepared epoxy as a primer with the exception of using it under a two part poly paint. It dries in short order for recoating. Latex is not really any costs saving except for cleanup, in my opinion. We pay around ten dollars a gallon at most of the big box stores and even Wal-mart, if you shop with them.

Well, I re-sanded everything real good with 80 grit and washed down with ammonia and water as suggested on the can. The Bulls Eye 123 primer dried hard in less than a day. I can not scrape it off the epoxy like the latex primer I used earlier. I'm not sure if its the primer , the prep or both, but I am very happy with the results

joel