A little help with an old boat

rrb

Its been a while since I've posted, recently a relative purchased a wooden sailboat and wanted to see if I could find any history. So far my searches haven't turned anything up so I'll post the information that I could find. Below is his description

Its about 12 to 14 long and it was made in England, Hamble, Hants.

serial no. 26 by the FAIRLEYMARINE COMPANY,

I under stand that this is the same company that produced some Military aircraft for Engand during WWII.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not going to be much help but I would guess it is Fairey Marine not Fairley.

This is an 18' boat built by Fairey Marine.

j3_roadford_4.jpg

Fairey made the Huntress, a classy power cruiser, among others. Here's a link to the Fairey Owners Club. They might be oof help.

http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/default.asp?content=boats&type=huntress

Yup . you're right on the money ! "Fairey had WW 11 aircraft plants throughout canada & the UK AND they did buil;d boats ! here's a lead to the info you're looking for .

All the best,

... Graeme

http://www.boats.com/boat-articles/Design+and+Construction-109/Fairey+Boatbuilders/1184.html

http://uboat.net/allies/aircraft/swordfish.htm

Both of these URLS are EXACTLY as on the Fairey sites. I entered "Fairey aircraft boats" into google and thar they were !

The Swordfish was the plane used by the UK allies in WW11 .

I would not be surprised if you had some Cold molded areas of your hull !

Anywho ....... there is your answer and leads to more info. ENJOY ! :wink: :wink: :D

SNUPI is in the "prime & sand & prime & sand and on and on and so on stage !

I haven't bolted the ballast segments to the keel yet. That will have to wait until she's seen some H2O.

The sail system is waiting until I have SNUPI out the door again for a final paint job at my son's industrial refinishing business.

Definitely going with white polytarp while I "far_" around with some designs. Regardless, at least one 20 ~ 22' free standing mast is the order of the day. That way I can put any number of variant systems up the stick, including a gaffer. !

I discovered during this summer's Mahone Bay Wooden Boat festival that there were a "Bunch" of birdsmouth masts , wrapped with 6 oz. f-glas cloth and running free standing. A few were rotating on aluminum 3 to 4' support stubs with solid block vinyl bearings . ! Most of these were running sprit and lug sails, however there were 3 such gaffer rigs encoultered out beyond the sheltered part of Mahone Bay.

The majority of these boat owners I talked with were happy as hell with unsupported masts and had been serious reservations in the past about the system.!

Most of these were on 16 to 22' hulls ! VERY IMPRESSIVE to watch them race hard without a mishap !