Hurricane Blues

Capn Trey

My charter manager got close enough to the boat to see it. The "authorities" would not let him get over to it. He was about 100 yards away and got a look at her through the binoculars. He said it was floating high in the water (like it should) and looked like it did not suffer any damage.

Thankfully, she is not up on the shore like some of the others. John tied her up with doubled and tripled lines in a "spider" fashion and it appears it worked! The sheltered marina helped a lot, too.

Looks like we survived with minimal damage.

That is a large load off my mind!

Steve

You are correct, Mike.

We were extremely lucky. You can make all the preparations in the world and not fare so well as we did. If the storm had taken a wobble to the west just before landfall, we would have gotten what they got in Perdido Key and Gulf Shores. The pictures coming out of there today are as bad as I had feared.

The shots of the Ft. Pierce marina could have been what we had if Ivan had tracked just a little differently.

Looks like Jeanne is fizzling out. Maybe ya'll dodged that bullet as it was looking like you were on the bull's eye for her.

Every once in a while we luck out.

Steve

Well all that was an experience. The power cane back up about 8 PM last night along with the TV cable. We are fine with minimal damage. the roof on the front of the house (South side) is gone down to the tar paper in most areas. The two Bradford Pear trees on the back took put the chain link fence. The wood fence on the east side has two sections downed. The wind got under the big awning on the motor home and ripped it to shreds. The secured the boat very well,; worrying about the wind getting to the main sail. what I didn't anticipate was the wind lifting so hard that it would break off the feet of the boom crutch. morning found the whole rig laying in the cabin roof and the stick ends laying on over the right side gunnel. I haven't got to the detailed inspection yet but it looks like the mast is cracked near the pivot; but, the compression post looks OK. Most of the neighborhoods I have seen look about the same. Trees down, privacy fences blown over and shingles gone. Anything within a mile of the beach is another story. Somehow Trey shifted that storm just enough east for P-Cola and FWB to get the worst of it. We are well and the livestock are fine so alls well that ends well. Angie askeds on the other board for folks to support the Red Cross and the ASPCA right now. Believe me there are a lot op people down here with nothing right now and they sure could use the help. Pensacola is in real bad shape. Has any one heard from Dan Kilpatrick, Trey or Oyster's friend Warthog?

Thanks for the check in. Yes I have heard from Warthog. There area is without power and water, something that no one planned for with the city water avaliability,. BUt that was shut down. He has very limited perishable items, but is cooking on a grill. Its such a mess, few people can get into the area. He made out pretty well, but many have catastropic loses, I sent you a regular e-mail, but it did not go through, maybe because of the lines being down. Feel free to post your needs here. Some of us are free to travel, if need be, to provide provisions directly to you.

Ivan is all the way up here now, albeit much slower and weaker. I woke up this morning to find a small river where my street normaly is and a few local roads and highways closed at river crossings. Driving to work this afternoon I noticed on the turnpike, "Where'd all those leaves go?". At one point in the drive it looked like someone exloaded some sort of mud bomb buried in an embankment, because it was everywhere but the side of the hill.

Thanks Mike, we are in great shape and need nothing. Food markets and gas stations are reopening and most of us back-bayers have power now. As I said the worst of it is near the beaches, or what's left of them. The state has hired a contractor to fix the I-10 bridge over Escambia Bay. The will use parts of the eastbound structure to fix the west bound and re-establishtwo way traffic on that vital link. Right now they are using the Hwy90 bridge and routing all of the interstate trafic through Milton. What a mess. I have a coouple of people who live don south of 98 toward Navare. BOth came through OK. One said the water stopped rising just an inch from coming in the house. (Never buy a house built in a salt marsh swamp). Yankees! Gotta love them... Let me know if I can help Warhog in any way.

Ice is non existant. He has a bunch of coolers for storage, and there was a truck come to the school house but it didn't last long with the amount of people and the heat. He slept on the front porch last night. But the whole area is under marshall law. He said if there was anyway that someone could get some can goods such as peaches, beans, and beef stew, it would be so greatly appreciated. The are had one gas staion open to pump some gas, so peopl ecould leave, but it was three miles long, and police has to monitor the people. He also said he had enough propane to heat stuff up, and natural gas to heat the water heater, and has gotten some water to the house from the city. But it caught them by suprise. Its hard to think ahead of time if you have never experienced it. He also said he could even meet you part of the way if there was a known central point to do this. The whole neighborhood is a mess.

I just spoke to Warthog. There was a fellow that had left town and went to Atlanta, that has made it back into town with three generators and a good amount of gasoline. The two fellows and one other neighbor has a working generator, running some form of refrigeration, and ice maker inside of two frigs, and fortunately the freezers held enough that most of the food is in pretty good condition. SO for now, they are better off than a few hours ago. And they are working with some of the othr folks in the area to provide some form of staple food, for his suroounding areas. They are able to cook on the gas grill. I got your message, Craig, but we have just come back in from an engagement. Thanks for now. But I am sure there are plenty more in need, but I am not aware of how it can be handled at this point. In our area, we would coordinate through the redcross, and Salvation Army, and tey would send us to the appropieate areas of need for general helping of our neighbors. If some of the larger vehicles can get into the area with some supplies, conditions will imporve this week for the bare necessities. .

I read this morning that the road I was going to use isn't open yet. Hurlbert Field has brought back their big helos and some C-130s with relief stuff and Duke Field is a marsheling area for relief supplies. This stuff should be moving into the devistated areas today. Glad to hear they have some gen sets. It is 90 degrees already and it is only a little after 11 am. The Red Cross is active there but is is such a mess where do you start. have been cutting trees for three days for the folks around here and cowookers nearby. The ole back ain't what it used to be. I still need to look at the boat The mast was off to the side at a 20-25 degree angle so I expect the stub mast pivot or the mast itself is broken. I hope it is the mast as it is an easier fix.

I really feel for you folks down there in hurricale alley. That has got to be miserable. For the last 3 days we have been getting the remnants of hurricane Javier which came up the Baja peninsula. We finally got some much needed rain but the wind was just plain agrivating. It was only 40 to 50 mph but steady and just annoying. I can't imagine the kinds of winds you folks were experiencing. Good luck to you all and hope you get back to normal soon.

Well I just got power back at 10 AM today.

Luckily not too much damage, Nokoni is full of water, shed roof above her took a little damage lost a few trees but we made it through better than I had expected.

Craig was right the little shift eastward just before landfall saved my butt.

Hate it for those east of me, but glad to hear Craig came through the storm as well.