Hurricane Blues

Capn Trey

At least Fredrick's brother (1979) if not the big girl of 69.

Ivan is holding basicly the same course as Fredrick with like wind speeds,

so I am expecting it to be a least as bad as Freddy.

We rode out Fredrick, a Cat 4 storm with 145 mph winds, lots of damage but we survived, with luck we will do the same with Ivan.

I have been wondering about you all day. Glad to hear you are ready. We are staying also. If i have figured this right and the track doesn't change we should get just high winds and rain. We are not far off the water but at 34' msl so the storm surge is not a factor. Everything is inside or tied down. Best of luck with this Trey.

Hey Craig,

It looks like it is going to come right in my front yard!

I am 6 miles north of the Gulf and at 110' ABSL so I'm not too worried about the storm surge, just those 140 mph winds.

Lots of big Pecan trees around the house and shop, Fredrick blew down 19 eighty year old pecan trees back in '79, I hope this one does not take the rest. especially the great big one right next to the shop where Nokoni is drydocked while being reconfigured.

Keep your fingers crossed.

At least Fredrick's brother (1979) if not the big girl of 69.

Ivan is holding basicly the same course as Fredrick with like wind speeds' date='

so I am expecting it to be a least as bad as Freddy.

We rode out Fredrick, a Cat 4 storm with 145 mph winds, lots of damage but we survived, with luck we will do the same with Ivan.[/quote']

I weathered Fredrick while living in Gulfport. I had forgotten it was a Cat 4. That was the last hurricane I have been in. My house weathered her well and did Camille also. I pray Ivan looses power before it gets to you.

Keep care.

Tell me it wasn't the canes that drove you to St Jo Greg! :D

LOL, no. It was a job, Bosch, since lost to layoffs and plant closings. Now I am just stuck here with a yankee wife that thinks this is good weather. I would rather have the hurricanes. I do like that wife though....she makes the weather almost bearable here... :lol:

Both of us are from Muskegon. She'd go back north and I'd die first. The hard water season is too long and the tornadoes and lake squalls are just too much. Hell, the cold has already killed all the palm trees and shrimp up there! All things being equal we will get the edge of the hurricane winds and Trey will get it all. I have' not heard from Dan near P-Cola in a long while. I think he is in Milton or Pea Ridge. He is gong to get some hurricane winds also. Some of the newbes here are already in a blind panic. YOu would think they would evacuate.... What ever....

I suppose the newbies should leave or at least ride out the storm with the veterans who know what to expect and how to deal with things as they happen. Growing up on the Texas coast we had shutters stored in the garage for putting up quickly when a storm threatened, and knew to start storing water, and getting ice for the freezers. Sort of like Yankees up here having a snow blower and salt.

Not too bad at the house right now. Maybe 1/2" of rain so far and some wind gusts to maybe 30 or so. Guess I will not sail tomorrow. A friend on one of the little back bay bayous says he is getting a lot of wind. Trey is going to get this right in the teeth. I should be just on the edge of the hurricane force winds as the storm has shifted at bit more west now. So far so good.

I have to say I'm glad I am not there, but my boat is. She is on the east coast of Mobile Bay. It appears the eastern eye wall passed up throught the Perdido Key and Perdido Bay area. The eye appears to have passed over Point Clear, where the boat is.

We probably won't hear how the boats fared for a couple of days, as our charter manager was in Arkansas last night after evacuating. My boat is one of five in that charter business.

Worst Case: I wonder what my next boat will be?

Best Case: I hope the damage is minimal.

I've ridden out a bunch of hurricanes in my time on the southeast coast of Florida. I'm just as happy I am in Nebraska this time.

Steve

LOL, no. It was a job, Bosch, since lost to layoffs and plant closings. Now I am just stuck here with a yankee wife that thinks this is good weather. I would rather have the hurricanes. I do like that wife though....she makes the weather almost bearable here...

My parents met in Michigan (the both worked for Dow in Midland), my mother hated it because it would sometimes snow on her birthday (in May). When they got married they promptly moved to California. Now they live in Allentown (where I was born as well), the weather I can't really complain about, other than the ski season being too short, but the allergies are terrible!

I was raised north of Lake Superior where we had 10 months of outdoor hockey and 2 months of swimming - the only discernible difference was that the water was a little softer in the summer - brrr!

I can't imagine being in the middle of a hurricane - it must make you very aware of the awesome power of nature and your own very small place in it.