Calendar Contest!

Frank Hagan

messing-about.com will once again sponsor a calendar contest. A minimum of 12 entries will be chosen for inclusion in the calendar, and 1 will be selected to also grace the cover. The cover shot will win a free calendar. Your entry must be received by Sept. 24, 2004.

The calendars are printed on "semi-glossy" 100 lb. text weight paper, in full color. Folded, the calendars are 11 x 8.5", but opened up on the wall 11 x 17". Just like the calendars you find in the stores, a full color, 11 x 8.5" image is on top and the current month is printed is printed on the bottom with plenty of room for notes, etc. in each day. US holidays are indicated on the calendar. This is a fund raising activity for messing-about.com, and the cost for each calendar will be $19.99.

To be included in the calendar, your submission must be related to boats or boat building. It is NOT limited to just Stevenson Projects or B&B Yachts boats, although those are obviously welcome. Pictures of building techniques, busy shops, thousands of clamps holding on a sheer clamp, etc. are all welcome. We especially like the photos of kids and dogs enjoying the boat you built, beautiful scenes of your boat on the water in a sunset, great shots of wildlife taken from your boat (with rigging showing in the way, of course!), etc. Montages are welcome as well as single shots. Remember, this is not your typical "art" calendar, but a calender for people who love boats and boat building.

If I receive several very good shots that are not good enough to be enlarged to 11 x 8.5", I will create a montage. This means your photo could end up on a page with other photos. If you object to this, let me know when you submit.

How to enter:

Email entries to frankhagan@ev1.net Please note this is an email address I use ONLY for the calendar entries, so don't add it to your address books as my permanent email address.

Entries can also be by "snail mail". I can scan and format photos for those of you without the equipment to do so. Email me at frankhagan@ev1.net for details on how to send your photos.

Those of you with photo editing software can use the "Technical Details" below to prepare your images. Nearly any regular photo can be scanned at a high enough resolution, but some digital photos won't "survive" being enlarged to 11 x 8.5" I may choose some lower quality photos for a montage of shots, where your entry would share a page with other photos. If you are unsure if your digital photo will be good enough, go ahead and email it to me at the address below. I will evaluate it and let you know.

Minimum resolution is 150dpi up to a maximum of 300dpi. The image is "bled" to 11.5 x 9"' date=' then trimmed to the final size of 11 x 8.5", so a 1/4" border on each side of your photo may be cut off. Your photo should be scanned at any of the following resolutions and sizes:

150dpi resolution and 1725 x 1350 in size

200dpi resolution and 2300 x 1800 in size

300dpi resolution and 3450 x 2700 in size

The format should be either JPG or PNG; use the least amount of compression possible, but still keeping your scan under 7MB for JPG and under 4MB for PNG.

[b']About DPI:[/b]

DPI is "Dots Per Inch" on a printed image.

DPI is "Dots Per Inch" on a printed image. People often confuse the difference between DPI and Pixels. DPI represents the print quality of an image while Pixels represents the actual image size on the computer screen.

The relation between DPI and Pixels:

For example, if you want an image that is 8" x 10" at 100 DPI, the Pixel dimensions must be 800 x 1000. At 100 DPI and Pixel dimensions of 400 x 500, the size of your image will be 4" x 5".

For a higher quality image at the same size, increase the DPI to 200. For an 8 x 10 image at 200 DPI with Pixel dimensions of 1600 x 2000, there is double the "Dots Per Inch" on the image than at 100 DPI. (8"x200 dpi=1600 pixels; 10"x200 dpi=2000 pixels) Take a look at the example below.

By entering a photo into the messing-about.com calendar contest you agree to let messing-about.com use the photo for a calendar page' date=' the cover, and/or the single-photo wall calendar for the year 2005, and to sell the calendar as a fund-raising venture without payment to you. YOu agree that, for the purposes of the submission meeting the requirements of the calendar format and printing, messing-about.com has the right to resize, crop, enhance or otherwise alter the format of the image. You also agree that messing-about.com can use the photo in promotional material for the calendar, including forum posts, web pages and printed matter, and that the promotional image may be resized, reduced in quality, cropped or otherwise altered to fit the format of the promotional material. You retain all subsequent rights to the photo, and messing-about.com will not use the photo for other reasons without your permission.

[/quote']

Forgot to mention ... I still have some entries from last year that will be in the running, assuming I can contact the folks for permission. I have entries from Brian Matthews, Brent Sparks, Bob Taylor, Ken Connors and Robert Platts. Plus one other I have to look up ("Nareid").

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

We have some great pictures, and I'm sure we'll have a great looking calendar this year. There are some great action shots, some pretty sunset type of shots, etc.

But there is still time. I know I have three pages left. We don't have a lot of "building" shots, showing a half built boat with dozens of clamps or a shot of kids helping build the boat. Remember, I'm a sucker for kids and dogs, and the messy boat-shop shots may not make it in a commercial calendar, but they warm the hearts of those of us who have built a boat.

Email your entries to frankhagan@ev1.net by 9/24/04 to be included in the contest!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm extending the deadline ... I have a couple of people submitting photos by regular mail service, so while I wait, if you have a photo you'd like to have considered for the calendar, email it to me at frankhagan@ev1.net

I will have to end it by the end of the month for sure, in order to get them into production. But that gives us another week.

If any of you haven't heard back from me about your photos, please let me know. I have tried to acknowledge all the submissions, but have had some trouble with my dial up account (I usually download the photos using my T1 line at work, and then try to remember to email the folks later from home, so I could also just forget!)

I have received the photos by mail, so we're going to wrap up the calendar contest by Sunday, October 3.

If you have any photos to submit, you can still do so by email to frankhagan@ev1.net by midnight, Saturday October 2.

Thanks, everyone for the great entries!

I sent mine in last year, the best boat, and youngen shot I could do, anyway, Wart. The dog, in my lap picture, probably doesn't qualify, :wink: My messy shop, is a work in progress shop, and a sign of someone that does not sleep till noon. :P

Thanks everyone for your submissions! We have some great pictures to choose from, and the hard part is choosing just 12 of them for the calendar.

I should have the formatting side of things done by this weekend, and then will be contacting people to make sure I have the names, dates, etc. correct for the captions. Production will follow shortly thereafter.

I will make an announcement here when the calendars are ready (and to announce the winner of the cover!)

It is cool, with 12 really good pictures. I just haven't finished the darn thing yet! I'm about half way done with the formatting, and then I have to add the captions.

Once that is done, emails will go out to everyone with the wording of the caption on their picture to make sure I have everyone's names spelled correctly, etc. Then I'll make the announcement.

I'll try to get this done by this weekend. Yikes! That's only a couple of days away!