Vacationer Launched!!!

Florin {VACATIONER}

We did it!

Yesterday we got the last things done and took her to the lake last night. We got there at about 6PM. The trailer works just fine, it tows really nice and is balanced well. When we got there it was overcast but it didn't rain and there was a 5kt breeze. I took us 15-20 min. to get her ready for the launch. We shoved her off the trailer and tied her off to the docks in irons so we can raise the sails. Those hoops are still sticky but they didn't give us as much trouble as they did in front of the house. After we got everything ready we shoved off and turned downwind and then the wind died down. We were now drifting towards the shore very slowly. Lucky that the wind picked up again in about a minute and we were able to avoid beaching. The wind picked up to about 10kt and she started to heel just a bit... this was very nice.We sailed for about 2hr and then came back to the docks because the girls had to use the restrooms. I didn't get a chance to install the potti you see, and we can't pee in the reservoir because its our drinking water... only fish and ducks are allowed to do that in there. We were all surprised how easy she sails. We decided to pack it in for the night since the weather started to look like a storm may blow in.The steering behaved very well with the mods I've done and didn't have to re-tighten at all... I think the steel cable is the way to go. The clubfoot blocks kept getting jammed and I think we'll change that to regular two jib sheets arrangement 'cause this ws annoying to say the least.It was very exciting and we still have that silly grin pasted on our faces. I'm sure most of you know exactly what I'm talking about, and it's almost impossible to explain.

Loading her on the trailer was a breeze. The rain started just as we pulled out of the water and we were glad we decided to get out when we did.

We've got a lot of compliments and got to chat with a few nice people. The sailing club school class just put out while we were sailing in front of their docks. Everybody stopped and stared... I'm sure they were all wondering what type of boat this is. The sailing instructors ran in and brought their binoculars to take a closer look. They all stood there gazing until we sailed around the peak.

We wanted to go again today but the weather doesn't look so good. Hopefully tomorrow... We're lucky to have this lake in the middle of our city. It takes fifteen minutes from our house to the boat launch. We'll have to do it again really soon. Now I haave to go install the fishfinder on the boat 'cause we'll be fishing next time.

I would like to thank the Stevensons for making this wonderful boat available to us all, it's a great design, and to all people on these forums for all the great help and support over the past 3 years, I'm glad to be part of this family.

Cheers

Florin

Congratulations on what sounds like a perfect launch and on a job well done. I'm excited to see the pictures.

I was thinking good thoughts for you. Thought of you again today when we took Julie K out for a short sail with her new jib club.

I just switched from the normal two sheet arrangement to the club because the two sheet setup requires another set of hands during tacking. This is fine for us unless Ian decides it is time to eat. My bride hasn't been able to perfect feeding him and tending the jib sheets at the same time.

I do think I might use the two sheet arrangement if I don't have Junior on board and I have someone to tend them.

Before you switch Florin, I would urge you to consider redoing the block so they don't hang up. If you do switch, I can show you a couple of photos of my old setup that uses no metal hardware for the connection. Well, that's if you're interested. I liked that because it was easy, cheap and because my bride likes to sit on the foredeck and I figure she's less likely to lose an eye with that set up.

Again. CONGRATULATIONS. Well done.

dave

Congratulations Florin,

What an exciting day that must have been after so long awaiting it. All the frustrations and delays were just washed aside as it floated off that new trailer. I"m sure the family was excited about that too. Looking forward to seeing the photos of the launch days activities.

You might consider a slightly different way of handling the clubfoot. I wouldn't discard it after only a light air experience on launch day. You'll appreciate the self tending ability of the jib while you are getting used to handling the boat and getting familiar with its performance.

I think many new builders jump away from the clubfoot a bit too early in their desire to be like the big boats. But a lot of big boats use clubfoots as well on self tending jibs. Especially Friendships and gaffers.

If you put the blocks for the clubfoot on a traveler instead of securing it to the deck. Then run your sheet for the clubfoot forward and install a turning block under the clubfoot on the bowsprit. You can then run the sheet back thru a couple fairleads to the cockpit. This type of arrangement allows the blocks for the jib to move with the jib and you can better control the shape and tension on the jib. I've never had a tangle or fouled line with this setup. It is also recommended in Hand Reef and Steer as the preferred way to rig the self tending jib with a clubfoot. The traveler rod doesn't have to be very long, say 18" and the lower block just attaches to a stainless ring that slides along the rod.

As Mike suggested, if you run a cord up the front side of the mast with evenly spaced knots to hold the mast hoops evenly spaced and secure it at the gaff to hold it inplace, you won't have the hangup any more. It's very common on boats with mast hoops. Takes just a few minutes to rig it up and then you can forget it.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Thank you ladies and gents for the kind words!

Our weather here turned out nicer yesterday late afternoon, the rain stopped, the sun came out but it was too windy. This morning its raining... no wind to speak of. Hopefully it'll get better in the afternoon. The forecast changed for the rest of the week and it is supposed to be nice and sunny so we are hoping to maybe do some sailing in the evenings.

As far as the clubfoot goes, I did some thinking yesterday.... Any of the bolt-eyes that we have installed, we've had to install a quick-link between the eye and the block because every time we've tried to open the quicklink, the darned thing would break when we tried to close it back. So after 3 broken ones I decided I should just install them with quick links. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or opening them the wrong way, maybe someone should chime in here (hint, hint).

So now the block sitting on the foredeck seems a bit too high. The jib sheet fairleads are on the portside. I am using 3/8" HD poly-rope. It seems like when we are on a port tack, the block tilts to the starboard side and the jib sheet starts rubbing on the bottom of the double block body. It seems like it makes too sharp a corner there and it scrapes against the block. Maybe someone could post a pic of this arrangement in detail so that I could maybe make comparison and spot the error.

On the mast-hoops we have the distance rope just as in the pic posted by Frank. The top end of the rope is tied to the gaff throat so that when the sail starts going up, the front of the hoops go with them spaced out evenly and parallel. Trouble is that when the angle of the gaff changes the front of the hoops angle changes with it and thats when they start binding. It seems like the top ones give us the most trouble. By changing the gaff angle we can get them unstuck most of the way up, but as you can see in the pics, the second last hoop at the bottom only comes up a couple of inches. In other words we lose about a foot of main sail.

Thanks

Florin

I open the eyebolts by clamping them in a vise, then opening them by tapping with a cold chisel, gradually opening them just wide enough to get the block through. I then put the eye itself in the vise and slowly close it back up. I can honestly say I have never broken one (probably will the next time I do it, after having said that) this way. Having the pulley in the eyes will give you quite a bit more clearance. Also check that the luff of the jib is not too long. An inch or so shorter may give you the clearance you need.

Glad the launch went successfully, sounds like only a few minor problems, and heck, that is what is all about. They don't call 'em shake-down cruises for nothing.

Congratulations!

Florin how are you raising the main? I run the main and the gaff up with the gaff roughly parallel to the deck until the main is all the way up. Then I cleat the peak halyard and taking the gaff halyard in both hands cinch her up tight. Then I finish setting the peak. I was having trouble with the parallel rope and the lashings binding at the top for the same reasons. A girl deck hand on the American Rover out of Norfolk showed me the same trick. She said that three-master did the same thing if you didnt keep the gaff horozontal until the main was up all the way. In fact if you got the peak much ahead of the jaws you couldn't hoist the main at all.

kudos and congrats on the launch, Florin. its a great feeling, isnt it? dittos on giving the club a little more time and effort. i think the club design is great. i also agree that the gaff should be kept parallel to the deck for easier raising. mine would bind otherwise. good luck on the water. :D

your pics make me wonder if i should have painted the area between the rubrails the off-white color i usewd on the deck. i may have to retink my color scheme after seeing yours :?

normal_DSCF0009%7E1.JPG

Well, another nice job on this boat. You guys rock with all of the different color skeems and trimming out with complementing woods. Heres hoping for safe and enjoyable boating days.