How did y'all learn to sail?

Scott Dufour

I've kinda got the opinion that if I call a sailing school and ask them how I should learn to handle one of these boats, they'll tell me to send them money.

I've been out alone probably two dozen times in small boats on lakes, and a half dozen crew on 25-35 footers in Long Island Sound. I've read some books and I've got a pretty good grasp of the physics and the language of sailing.

My question is more practical: How do you know where to go sailing? I'm an hour from Long Island Sound, but I bet it's not safe or legal to just push out from the State Beach. I know it sounds rediculously ignorant to those who know, but how do I find out.

Also: where are you allowed to beach to do things like camping? Sounds like fun, but what are the rules?

I less concerned about learning the mechanics of sailing than I am learning the human-based rules of sailing. I can see myself getting into a major faux pas in a hurry.

lol- kinda depends on WHERE you are. Many places here you CAN just push out from the beach. Many places in Florida that's verboten. Some places here too.

We know of many spots here where we can just land the boat, go ashore and camp, no problems. Some places are private property and landing is a no no. THERE where you are you might find things much different.

Tell ya what- go to TSBB and ask your question- there are many sailors on there from the northeastern US and they are a WEALTH of knowledge, and quite willing to aid in answering questions about sailing. You may even find someone very close to where you are that will show you the area.

Here's the link-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi

Check with your state office that handles water craft. In in Ohio the ODNR Watercraft Office has two very good publications. First is a summary of laws and rules. The second is a very detailed book on all of the launch facilities in Ohio along with information on nearby camping, launch fees, toilet and phone facilities and many other facts. These publications are free (at least that is what part of your registration fees and state taxes go for I guess) and would be worth the effort of looking for.

Jim

• 1 month later...

My first significant sail and learning experience was noteable so I penned a story about it. I call it

"The Mid Watch"

It was 02:00 Definitely slowing down. Forty strokes at midnight. Twenty eight strokes now, and the pump is sucking air.

What a day. I'm still excited. Did it really happen to me, a thrilling rail down beat through the azure blue Mediterranean with the sun hovering over the green hills of Sardina ?. Just like in the boating magazine- only minus the feminine pulchritude.

Overhead the steady hum of ships machinery and water oozing back into the bilge brings me back to reality- clearing the pump of debris. While waiting for a sizeable amount of water to bail, I thought back to how it started on board the USS Coral Sea fitting out for a Mediterranean cruise.

Curiosity was aroused amongst my shipmates and I as to why in hanger bay 4, lashed down amongst lethal jet air craft was a humble wooden sailboat.

Our questions went unanswered until a week at sea. In the "Plan of the day"was a small note. "All those interested in forming a boat club meet in the ships library at 19:30". That's all I needed . A group of men were at the table reading and writing letters when I arrived at the library. In the corner were two expectant face. They, I deduced to be, my fellow " yachtsmen." On inquiring, I found them to be Don & Chuck and just as puzzled as I.

Prelude to Fun

In a few minutes an officer arrived and introduced himself as "Commander Stanley", our new supply officer. He outlined his plans. The 32' ketch rigged whale boat was to be the nucleus of our club with the addition of 11' penguin class cat boats in kit form when our membership grew. He was to be the officer representative. With other members we were to elect Commodore and vice commodore. He also pointed out that the boat needed a great deal of work. That was my first prelude to the "fun of boating".

Don and I did a survey on the condition of the boat and all the materials necessary to make her "Bristol Fashion" again. The hull appeared sound but needed the usual re-caulking, sanding and painting to a boat long out of her element. Being young, enthusiastic and persevering we somehow managed to turn out a reasonable shipshape job for a group of amateurs. The varnished gunwales gleamed over the smooth business like grey topsides. The sails were mended and new sheets rove through reconditioned blocks.

On September 19th, 1950 we passed through the straits of Gibraltar and three days later dropped the hook in Aranci Bay Sardinia. The bay was surrounded by rolling green hills that rose abruptly

from the indigo sea. The water was so clear you could see fish playing around the ships anchor

chain.

At 16:00 members of the boat club were to put the ketch over via. the flight deck crane. Uniform of the day was undress whites. Suddenly the club doubled its membership with four new recruits.

With an audience

With the skipper at the tiller and all six oars manned, we blundered about a quarter mile to leeward of the ship to commence the comedy for the ship company manning the rails. After fumbling with the oars at Commander Stanley's order, "boat oars!" we managed to bring them in with no more to do than knocking off the skippers cap, which was met with a great roar from the ship.

Now the muddle called the rig in the center of our craft was to be tackled. The theory was to place the mast fore and aft across the thwarts and position a hinged device on top of its opposite member on the thwart. When this lined up, a pin was to be inserted in the hinge effectively connecting them mast to the seat at which time two crew members were to raise the stick. This went surprisingly smooth considering some of us were frantically bailing not caring which way the water flew.

Amid our own confusion the Commander stood calmly by, patient, and paternal over-seeing this uniformed chaos, knowing full well that Navy tradition would prevail in the end.

The excitement continued but we were more serious now seeing that we were making progress and the long worked for sail was soon to begin. Feverishly the main was bent on with not too much profanity. Somehow we were functioning as a team. At last the sails climbed the mast.

Glorious moment

The evening breeze held steady at about ten knots sending crackling ripples through our luffing canvas. The ship was far off now but we could still hear our cheering section. Commander Stanley

lowered the centerboard, ordered the jib backed, put the helm up, trimmed the sheets and slid off on the port tack. Those first glorious moments under sail one never forgets. That lovely ketch anxious to go, to prove herself after such a long exile in some forgotten naval boat yard. Like new life breathed into her she came alive and leaned down to her business sailing. Giving her greenhorn crew their first rail down breeze. Bubbling water 5" away passing at 6 knots,

spray gently hitting you in the face gives a sailor a sense of intimacy with the sea that a 45' high flight deck steaming at 30 plus knots can never do. Her gleaming gunwale inched closer to the hissing foaming Mediterranean as our freeboard diminished. The added strain of our wind stressed hull accelerated the leak. Only momentary glimpses of the passing scene could we afford to take as all hands bailed with white hats.

Soon the mighty bulk of the Coral Sea loomed above us. Passing close by the deck edge elevator, cheers rang out from the chow line. We now were about to learn another lesson

For me it all started with my mother's California king sized sheets, some 2x2s, my bike, and my father's pram. When it was all over the sheets were ruined, the bike was broken, the 2x2s floated away, and the pram fell apart and sank. Everything has been "easy sailing" since then. :D

I learned to sail be the seat of my pants on one of those flat plank sail boats in the gulf of baja. WOW, what a ride. Dumped her many times. I only got frightend when I saw fins boboing about. :shock: Turns out is was dolphins, but at 8 years old!!! :)

Hey Clipper, any chance on some more information about the print you posted?? :)

As far as learning the human based rules of sailing/boating, I like the book Chapman Piloting: Seamanship and Boat Handling. I picked up a copy when I bought my first biggish boat (36') and felt like it gave me the basics as far as rules of the road, aids to navigation, etc. I did all of my sailing with that boat on the Columbia river--busy, narrow and lots of commmercial traffic--and no one ever blew their horn at me or called me names over the radio, so it must have worked.

As far as camping and launching, the state boating authority usually has good stuff that. Oregon has an online guide to camping and launching areas, but I guess that probably wouldn't help you much in Connecticut...

From what I understand, Connecticut used to have a pretty good set of documents about what, where, and when you could beach and camp. They went out of print a few years ago, though, and they haven't slapped 'em back up. Maybe I'll put some pressure on my Senator - you know, with all the clout I have.