Waste no time!!

Well, it didn't take that long to crave another fix for the smell of sawdust. Yep, the madman is at it again. Too much wood, not to take advantage of the idle time on my hands. While the wind blew, I took advantage of being stranded in the shop. I know its not much. But I have two planks on this one now. But these two shots show how to loft a boat full size, and in its own place, when space is limited.

Shown in the shot is what I hope it will be in a few weeks.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transom, 3 frames and a stem, right? What length and beam are you looking at? Are you going to plank again? Go ahead and write a step by step. I'm always willing to take ideas. Here is my biggest hangup, (in regards to boats, I have lots of others) what is the best way to install a centerboard so it doesn't leak? :?

I really wish you didn't start another boat. I have to finish my Weekender but I know whats in front of me... :shock: sanding :shock: ...so I'm kind of putting off getting to that point.

Can somebody get me encouraged enough to put the darn shelves in so's I'll nolonger have an excuse not to flip her and start on the bottom... :shock: sanding :shock: :wink:

Transom' date=' 3 frames and a stem, right? What length and beam are you looking at? Are you going to plank again? Go ahead and write a step by step. I'm always willing to take ideas. Here is my biggest hangup, (in regards to boats, I have lots of others) what is the best way to install a centerboard so it doesn't leak? :? [/quote']

Yes this will also be solid planks. It will be somewhere plus or minus 20 feet. You say that sound strange. Well, thats the way it always ends up in building by eye. I did take the lines or measurement off of a 1950s built, that was built from a fellow that started long before the WWII, building workboats and would build these types off to the side during lunch, so to speak, with shorts. This part is done with small battens to check for true curves. As far as the centerboard leaking, build it right. :wink: On the smaller boats, as the one just finished, I like to offset my centerboards on the side of the keels. This also ties in some of the stress and structure of the trunk. Where do you have a problem with leaks?

The book is a great read. This is some detail of the rigging. Some people swear by it in coastal regions. Some say its not much good with the amount of work to them depending on who you speak to, or where you are sailing.

fa83018f.jpg

fa82fe82.jpg

I have a copy Barry. It is a teasure trove of information. I am about 1/3 of the way through it now. My topmast blank and the mounts are roughed out and have passed the trial fit. The Sprit extension awaits the kranze iron and mounting and of course I will need more sails. I want to finish the book and use his direcetion with a sailcut program I have. I will expierment in white poly tarp before comitting to the dacron. My proposed headsail is almost as big as the main and I am not real sure what this is going to do. I also want the tops'l of course and a big yankee for those moderate wind days. First though I have to finish fixing the keel. I took all of the bondo fillets out down to bare wood and am refilling them with thickened epoxy. I only fixed what I could see wrong last year and had more glass fissures this year. Always around the 4th ofJuly don't you know. So this yerar I am doing it all at once. What a dirty, hot, slow, maddening task. And every half hour she comes out and says, "I told you to buy the good wood!":)

I guess I'm not sure how to attach the centerboard box to the bottom. I've never built one before, :oops: too unsure of how the attachment works. Maybe one of you nice people might discribe, with pictures, how you would go about installing a box from start to finish... :?

See, I've read all the "old timey" books where they are using bolts, gobs of glue and flannel, and it still leaks :( ....There has got to be a better way :)

I guess I'm not sure how to attach the centerboard box to the bottom. I've never built one before' date=' :oops: too unsure of how the attachment works. Maybe one of you nice people might discribe, with pictures, how you would go about installing a box from start to finish... :?

See, I've read all the "old timey" books where they are using bolts, gobs of glue and flannel, and it still leaks :( ....There has got to be a better way :)[/quote']

Stump, slow down and tell me where it hurts[leaks]? :wink: What are you talking about, if you have never built one before? Yes I will post pictures. BUt it ain't rocket science. :P Darn, screws, glue, washers, gaskets, and all sorts of stuff, is nothing. You build the rest of the boat with the same darn stuff, right????????????????????????????? Now take a deep breath. And yes, there will be more pictures of this new frontier. :wink:

In the meantime, take a look at my plans. Yes there are acutally plans to this venture. And yes, there has been a boat built like this before, by a good ol' felllow, back around the turn of the century.

Hurricane?? Whatchu talking bout Stevey? :wink: Heck, the tide was up about four feet, wind was too much for enjoyment, so what the heck, the wood was all nice and smelly, luring me to touch it, so I heeded the call. It was my civic duty, you know. Someone has to do it. Plans was drawn with precision skills, using the latest in technology, and readily avaliable equipment. :P:lol: Amazing?? NAH,. :) 8) I hope to have this one done in six weeks, just in time for real hurricane season. Hey, got any names for this one? I tell you, I would love to take this one to Skilak Lake Alaska as was posted today by our member.

Now this looks like an interesting coastal sailing vessel for the waterways back there. I like the lines and the rig. Should be interesting sharing it vicariously.

I'm a found wood collector as well. Have some beautiful old growth Doug Fir and Western Red Cedar that I'm saving for a worthwhile project. I love haunting the local wood recyclers. Sometimes there are some real finds that can be picked up for a steal or for nothing if I'll just haul it away. Weather turns sour and it isn't fun being outside, into the shop. Always something that is interesting to do.

Barry, I share this with boating enthusiats here, all over, in lieu of a weekender project, which does not fit my needs with our boating habits in our area, and at the mercy and the gracious hosting of this site by Frank.

Its hard for me to discuss much about the weekender, past some hull construction techniques, as I have never been on one, but enjoy the format and people here, of all the sites I have been around on the net.

Some of these shots, I only have on imagestation, to answer a couple of questions, and have not figured my computer out to downsize some of my shots for the gallery. So I suffer through the agony of red x's sometimes. :cry:

I am as Barry on this one...love the lines and the rigging. Excellent project.

I would love to follow you through on the process.

If you have troubles with the process of posting images, I have an offer for you.

I will post them to a webpage I will put together for you. I have my own domain and a large server space...and the process is quite quick for me. I would be happy to post these images in a permanent spot for all to see. Just send me your images via email and the text you want to accompany them....if you are interested.

As I said, I would really like to watch you put this project together, I am sure lots of others will as well.

Update: This is called stepping the bow. It allows for the compound curve of a sharp entry to shallow draft in a short run , unlike you can do with even plywood. This is done in small witdhs of solid wood turned sideways and mortised into the keel area. This also is angled into the chine batten and side planking. After the glue cures, we shape all of the step points down to uniform surface. In this short distance, it creates an inverted curve, with a good bit of wood still left. We also pin through the sides, with finish nails, hopefully hitting the middle of the pieces after sanding. :wink:

Well, this is a little detail of the progress. Notice the planks have reached the point of the transition joint, changing from being nailed into the chine area, to overlaying the chine. Using thicker planks, would have removed the need to add small pieces at that changover, as shown on the sanded side, from the side step planks to flat planks. But this boat will get a glass bottom skinned bottom, so a person can do a little fudging sometimes. :)

Also when reaching that point, the planks will need to be cut in the shape of the olde fashioned fans, top at the keel is smaller than the bottom at the chine. This is done by figuring out the running distance of the chine versus the running distance of the keel and take that number and remove the difference over several planks to obtain a right angle to the keel to allow for the planks to lay flat.

If you notice, we still sand out a little on the back sides of the fan planks, to even accomplish this mission, till we get further up the flatter deadrise to eliminate the need for this. After all this is done, we just sand to uniform shape the highs to the lows across the surface.

Ah Mike,

So you decided on cross planking. It's looking good! Do you plan on using the sprits'l rig with topsail? You know, some people actually know what kind of boat they are going to build BEFORE they start hammering nails. Julian would be proud.

I've got to get down for a sail on one of your creations. Just now taking a break from preparing for Charley's visit later today. If the path doesn't change (ha!), you will likely get more surge in your area than us.

Liz and I still plan to leave for a vacation at Brad Indicott's house in the Blue Ridge Mountains tomorrow. There's optimism for you. He and Debbie are in the NY state canal system somewhere. They are shipping Leah Ghent back to Oriental instead of making the offshore run around NJ.