Book suggestions?

tomstock

Anyone have any good sailing book suggestions? I'd prefer something from the 60's or later, with some nail biting thrills... being dismasted during ocean crossings, sailing in a big storm, etc. I need something to entertain me and the TV just can't do it when it comes to dreaming about sailing.

Thanks!

Tom

One book I've enjoyed a few reads of is Tinkerbelle by Robert Manry. It was written in the late 60's(?) and tells the story of a guy who one day decides to buy a boat, restore it, and sail it from the East Coast of the USA to Britain. His boat, Tinkerbelle, was a 16 footer. Quite a story.

Another that I've enjoyed is Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebe. At the urging of her father, Tania became the youngest woman to to a solo circumnavigation. The story is not only of her voyage, but also about the relationships with her friends and family, and makes for a very fascinating read.

Rounding out todays trifecta is Letters from the Lost Soul The story of an ex outlaw biker named Bob Bitchin, who one day decided to trade his bike for a boat, and sail around the world.

All the titles have been linked to Amazon via the site's store.

Peace,

Roland

Bob Bitchin is now the editor of "Latitudes and Attitudes" , a very good mag for cruising (or wanna be) sailors. LOOKS like a biker, talks like a sailor. Really a kewl dude. Met him in Chicago at Strictly Sail. Eric Stone has recorded a song named "Legend of the Lost Soul" which is pretty kewl too.

Here's a few titles from my bookshelf.

Adrift!!, by Steve Callahan.

Open Boat across the Pacific, by Web Chiles

Alone Against the Atlantic, by Gary Speiss

Trekka round the World, by John Guzzwell

Once is Enough, by Miles and Beryl Smeeton

Of course, lets not forget

ANY of the Tristan Jones books. He's been proven to be somewhat of a fabricator and truth stretcher, but the stories are still great :D

The book that got me turned on to sail boat cruising many years ago- Joe Richards true story named "Princess, New York" Hard to find now but worth it

And finally, if you haven't read Erskine Calder's"Riddle of the Sands" then you really should find it and read it. My wife stayed up WAY too late two nights reading that one. It's before your time period, being written in 1903, but still one of the greats.