Fiberglassing

Marshall

I am ready to fiberglass. I noticed in Mike's video that he doesn't glass the keel, for reasons that sound logical - i.e. running into shore, rocks, etc. Why not ? I was thinking of overlapping the cloth from both sides, then putting the 3-4 coats of epoxy over it. Thoughts . . . . .?

Also, Dave Richards suggested I post pics of my Weekender, but I keep getting a message back that they are too large, so, sorry I can't share with you.

This project has been an absolute blast ! I have quietly read the posts daily here and they have given me so much info and inspiration ! The thing that I am most proud of is that I have built this boat 100% by myself. I have had no assistance. I think that is a great tribute to the Stevenson design. It may take me longer, figuring ways to do a 2 person job with one person, but the satisfaction is tremendous.

I am hoping to finish the hull, glassing and painting very soon, then turn my attention to finishing the topside and complete the rigging.

I also am installing a pedal system for the rudder, so I can have both hands free. Has anyone done this ? I have designed the system and I think it will work.

Thanks to you all for the great inspiration you have given me !

Marshall

Marshall, if you'd like to e-mail the pictures to me, I'll resize them for you. Use the following: richards dot david at mayo dot edu

As to the glass on the keel, some folks have indeed done that. Some have put a layer or two of Kevlar on the keel. It is much more abrasion resistant. The reason for not putting the glass on the keel is because if you do abrade through it and create a hole, water can get in and stay there. It is much more difficult to get it to dry out. This will make a great place for rot to start.

I didn't glass my keel and I'm glad of it. I have had several occasions where I've scuffed the keel enough that I'm sure I would have punctured the glass. As it is, it has been pretty easy to clean up and repaint.

Another problem that some have had--I haven't and hopefully you won't-- is keel delamination. Maybe if the keel was glassed it wouldn't happen--maybe it would. But with glass you wouldn't know until it is too late. I can easily inspect me keel for delamination since the paint would crack at the first sign of it.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am off today and Friday, and my pics are on my work computer so I will email them to you on Monday.

I used bondo to cover screws and round off, not much, but some. I also have read here that the epoxy doesn't adhere to the bondo as well as the wood. Will there be a waterproofing problem ?