More boat trailer stuff

Jan Williamson

I used a boat trailer from www.harborfreight.com. It was only $279 delivered. Some assembly, but just bolting up and wiring though. I would recommend some extra box tube added to the tongue though to extend the trailer a bit so the bowsprit isn't poking the vehicle. It can handle the weight of the weekender, as it is rated for 600lb.

Jan, did you check the Karavan site I mentioned in the other trailer post? They should be able to give you a local dealer name.

As to trailer size, I would make sure that the trailer has a fairly high load margin. Mine has a capacity of 1250 lbs which is probably overkill but in the Karavan line that's what I had to do to get the needed length.

IMHO, Zeroice's 600 lb trailer capacity is a bit too close to the planned weight of 550 lbs for a Weekender. If you add a battery or two for a trolling motor and through in the safety stuff required. You'll be substantially above that 600 lbs. Just my .02.

I am going to check the harbor freight site, I did call the karavan dealer, Dave and they are priced at $1100. A little out of my budget. I did find a used tralier in southern California, maybe I could get an opinion on it.http://atlantic.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?73198031 I can get this trailer for $200 plus cost for going down and picking it up. It needs new electrical. I am concerned aboout rust, not being able to see it very well in pictures. It is 75 inchs between the fenders. I want a fairly stout trailer because I have to take the freeway to nearly every lake I would use the boat in. At least 13 inch tires...

That looks like it would work just fine with a little fix-up work.

New electrical isn't a big deal. Tires may not be all that great and need to be replaced. Check for Bearing Buddies, If none on the trailer, I would recommend installing a set. Again not a big deal.

Change out the carpeting on the bunks and reposition them for your Weekender and put a channel down the centerline for the keel. One other thing that you may well appreciate would be a set of guides to keep the boat centered when you are loading it on the trailer. Again not a big deal to do.

Doesn't appear that this has been in the salt water much or it would show a lot more corrosion.

I used a boat trailer from www.harborfreight.com. It was only $279 delivered. Some assembly' date=' but just bolting up and wiring though. I would recommend some extra box tube added to the tongue though to extend the trailer a bit so the bowsprit isn't poking the vehicle. It can handle the weight of the weekender, as it is rated for 600lb.[/quote']

This this the one you are referring to?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5002

Looks way too small. Does it work? Have any pics?

Jan, I saw that trailer on BoatTraderOnline also, and emailed the owner with a question, and never got an answer. Then I called and left a message, and never got a call back.

My question to him was did he have clear title to the trailer? His ad mentions it needs "electrical and registration."

When I bought my boat trailer it had a boat on it, and I got both for $200. Sold the boat for $50, so my trailer cost $150. Plus about $100 to get new tires and rims and axles. Still not too bad. But the registration was in one man's name, and the person who sold it to me had never re-registered it, I suspect to avoid the sales tax. In the meantime, the original owner died.

The first DMV office I went to wouldn't help at all. Claimed I needed his signature that he sold it to me, and it didn't matter if he was dead, that was the rule. "NEXT PERSON IN LINE PLEASE!"

The next DMV office claimed I [could register it, but needed a signed affidavit from the man who died saying he intended me to get it. I pointed out that wouldn't work, as he was in fact dead. They pondered this for a while, and my wife (wonderful woman that she is) piped up and said "What do you suggest we do?", putting the ball in their court. They conferred for a while and said an affidavit from me would work, stating that to the best of my knowledge the trailer wasn't stolen or involved in accidents, etc.

So the moral is ... if the person you buy from doesn't have clear title, you could be in for a lot of hassle. If the DO have title, you need a statement from them that the trailer hasn't been used on any roadway to avoid "past registration fees" and penalties that accrue.

Hello

Jan you might try Venture Triailers out of Baltimore. I got mine (VB1100) for $475 including shipping to a local marina. I live in the metro Detroit area. Fits my Weekender very well with a few mods. I thought it was a great deal. Try www.venturetrailers.com.

Larry

I am getting more info from the used trailer owner, Frank. That is a good point, and rather funny story you had there :lol: . Can you believe some of those DMV people. I'll find out why there is a registration issue. The husband said that there is some surface rust, some places worse than others. New electrical wouldn't be much of an issue.

Venture trailers look promising. I am waiting to here back from them. thanks Larry :)

As long as the registration is in their name, and they can give you a written statement that the trailer hasn't been used since the tags expired, you shouldn't have a problem. If it isn't in their name, its not worth the aggravation! (Plus it could be hot).

"Surface rust" can be more than it looks like. Take a hammer and tap on the "surface rust" to see if it is solid underneath. On my trailer, the side is nearly eaten through. I'm repairing it now, but having to put more $$ into a cheap trailer ... by the time I'm finished with this round of repairs, I'll have about $500 into it.

Maybe I'll ask the "husband" to hit the rust with a hammer. Do ya think he'd tell the truth? :D Since it is about 650 miles from me, I probably won't be able to have it checked until Aug. 12. Then my daughter's boyfriend can look at it for me. (he goes back to school in Santa Clarita. I definately don't want to by it if the rust is deeper than "surface". Barry is right though, if it had been in the salt water it would probably look worse.

Frank or anyone else, If you are interested in that trailer in Wennetka, I can give you the info. Technically I told her that I wanted it but I haven't sent her money yet. I talked to my local DMV, and they said a bill of sale is all that is needed and 20 bucks. They have changed the rules when it comes to trailers. The owners do not have it registered nor do they have a title. The company they bought if from is a custom trailer place. She will sell it for what she paid for it 200 ( she just wants it out of her driveway). I would buy it, but not being able to see it first, then once I get down there (needing to rewire for trip home) no one to go with me, I guess I'm not feeling so confident .... I really wanted to try set a launch date for the end of Sept with polysails (plan on making dacron ones this winter) but it looks like I'll have to wait till spring :(

I bought mine used from the former sail maker. Heavily modified EZ Loader. I had to raise the stock fenders a few weeks back as they were rubbing when I hit bumps. Must be the added ballast. ;)

I saw a used one the other day, can't recall where though. I am going to a surplus sale in the AM; I will check things out. I might have seen it a few weeks back at this same sale I am going to.

Jan, the trailer sounds like a good deal. I thought that the picture looked like it was in pretty good shape. If you have someone locally who can take a look at it, I would go ahead and investigate it.

When I had my trailer registration issue it was before they changed the rules. Now its much easier, even if the trailer hasn't been registered for years.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, since I have spent countless hours looking for a used trailer, I had resigned to the fact that I would have to buy a new/nearly new one from a boat manufacturer. It was going to cost $600+(not bad for a nearly new one), I told my neighbor that I couldn't launch till I got the trailer, which would be later this fall. I figured I would just have to wait till spring.

Well he said "I have a "bad" 16 ft boat on a good trailer, and you can have it if you get rid of the boat :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Boy did I have a lucky day! And to think that I almost traveled 600 miles to buy a rusty junker!!!

Maybe I could set a launch date for early fall after all :D

I have the polysails, and the trolling motor to do yet. I am close to getting the mast installed.