Got to Sail Yesterday

Dave R1

I took the day off and took the family sailing. We drove up to Lake City and sailied on Lake Pepin. What a beautiful day to have off. The wind was light to start with but got up to about 20 kts by the time we got back to the dock. Ian slept most of the time down in the cabin in his carseat.

I only got a few pictures but here they are.

tm1.JPG

tm2.JPG

tm3.JPG

Lake Pepin is part of the Mississippi River. It is 22 miles long and between a mile and two and a half miles wide. Where we were sailing it is about 2 miles wide.

We were the first sailboat out on the lake yesterday but it didn't take long for others to come out. Julie K was definitely the only gaff rigged vessel on the lake. ;)

Looks like it was a great day!

When the winds kicked up, how was the comfort level in Julie K? I know when the wind blows up from the south against the current, the waves have a tendency to kind of "stack up", close together with steep faces. Just curious what your experience was like in the weekender.

The waves did get up a bit although the wind and current were going the same direction. It really wasn't so bad as long as the sails were pulling. We ended up running back to the dock and it was interesting. The waves were overtaking us so we would get these little kicks in the rear as we were going.

Dave,

I have a friend that keeps his boat in Redwing and he mentioned that he sees a fair number of sailboats on Lake Pepin. We went out on his boat one evening and cruised up the Mississippi. With all the current, I wasn't sure how a Weekender would handle it, even in the lake. Glad you finally got out for a sail!

John M.

Dave saaazzssss:

"Sorry, I haven't got any recent pictures of the whole boat sailing. If you look in the thread on Boom Height, there are a few pictures of it on the trailer"

:cry: Now I will go shamefully off into the darkness of the evening, maybe removing my hack job from the brag sheet, Dave. :cry: