The @%*%$ thing actually floats!

Lefty

I am relatively proud to announce that the Minicup Murphy's Law finally saw water on the afternoon of July 9th. After an entire weekend of sailing in breezes ranging from very light to moderate, I would call the project a success. Considering modifications that were made and last minute headaches, all in all, I was happy to get out and not have it tip over on me!

Although it is not much to look at, I am still happy to say I did it. I look forward to tinkering around with it, and making some improvements to it (such as a higher quality paint job and possibly a new and larger mainsail).

I hope to throw a few pictures up later when I have more time, or maybe when I make it more appealing to the eye!

And yes, despite the seemingly bad charma associated with it, I named it Murphy's Law for the reasons you can imagine.

I think the double posting happens because of delays either on the site's server, or somewhere in the path between you and the site. You click, and nothing appearently happens, so you click again, then WHAM, both happen at once. At least that's my thought on it!

As far as your boat goes, congratulations! While I see every flaw in my boat, the people who see it don't. And I have found if you take pictures from 10' away, people will think its absolutely beautiful! I try to keep people 10' away from my boat at all times, which takes some fancy footwork at the launch ramp.

Just wanted to relay an incident with the new boat. As I might or might not have mentioned at some point, the minicup was part of a lighthearted joke/dare between one of my brother-in-laws and me over the fourth of July weekend one year ago. We thought it would be cool to have a little race over the same weekend this year with the boats we could build ourselves. I knew he was far too busy (but far more than capable, I might add) to actually go through with it, so I thought I would surprise him when I built mine. I started July 10th 2003 and finished July 9th 2004 (I know it's one week after the fourth, but there was a get together this weekend and its a ways to drive....)

...Anywhooo....he was very surprised and even a little impressed, especially when it actually sailed! But the real incident/story was with my wife.

After reading all the posts about a weird guy building a boat, I thought it was fitting. My wife is the type, and I know many of you know the type, who humors me when I come up with an idea to build something (a putting green in the backyard, an ice fishing shack that wouldn't fit out through the garage door, etc, etc, etc.)

Over the last year, she would peek into the garage, kinda roll her eyes or shake her head, and head back inside. Not exactly a vote of confidence, but with my track record who could blame her...

As the successful sailing weekend was coming to a close she even agreed that our three year old daughter could come out with me. She paid me the biggest compliment however, when watching me from shore with another of her brother-in-laws. He remarked that instead of taking all that time to build something that looked like this looks, he would rather just spend the money to buy a boat. After all her skepticism, she said that she thought I did it more for the sense of accomplishment to see something like this through, not just to have a sparkling brand new sailboat.

And she's exactly right.

She paid me the biggest compliment however' date=' when watching me from shore with another of her brother-in-laws. He remarked that instead of taking all that time to build something that looked like this looks, he would rather just spend the money to buy a boat. After all her skepticism, she said that she thought I did it more for the sense of accomplishment to see something like this through, not just to have a sparkling brand new sailboat.

And she's exactly right.[/quote']

Nicely said.

Excellently said (by your wife !) Lefty.

So you get a double, or triple prize,

You get a sailboat that you built. :D

You get respect from the brother in law and you win the dare. :D

And most of all,

You have risen in the eyes of your wife. :lol: Which is never a bad thing.

I love it when your wife defends you to one of her friends, I get that warm feeling inside.