SNEEZE, KOF, KOF ..Dusty work or what ??? SNUPI PICS

Working on sanding the second coat of epoxy / f-glass on the cabin and hull sides ! The rest of SNUPI already has 2 coats on the cabin top and 3 layers on the hull bottom.

I "prefabricated" the binnacle, currently residing in a machine shop for the shaft, bearings & sprockets, so when I attack the cockpit compartments for final finishing, the steering system will move along faairly quickly. ( I hope ! )

Once all this is sanded, SNUPI will be delivered via his float to my son who owns an industrial refinishing business. There , Snupi will get a couple of heavy coats of 2 part epoxy primer/surfacer, sanded ONE LAST TIME and get Interlux anti-fouling bottom paint and Brightsides top paint !

Hell, should have this done by 10 pm tonight ! :lol:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Hi Frank,

Re: SNUPI's on water performance ................ she is more like a downsized VACATIONER than an upsized WEEKENDER.

She will be a tad deeper in the water due to 300 lbs of ballast and a one inch thick bottom laminated with a total of 4 layers of glass cloth (9 oz) and a total of 5 coats of epoxy, a fuller cabin with flip up bunks, 10 imperial gallon domestic water tank, on so on.

She is also 7 feet in the beam and 5 feet wide at the transom. Her deck length is 19' Her freeboard has been increased and the hull sides beefed up with a mid height 1 3/4" x 3/4" full length stringer !

REASONING ! She is as large as would fit inside the garage ( Had to add a 4' temp extension), plus SNUPI will be salt water moored in a cove off the Atlantic Ocean ( In Mahone Bay, tucked in behind the well known Capt. Kidd's Oak Island treasure site !), and sailed for the most part in the coastal waters of the Atlantic.

Her basic concept was derived from the simplistically designed Weekender, then modified to work within the unpredictable waters of the coastal North Atlantic. My eye originally was caught by the similarity to the east coast dory hull, a virtual go anywhere under any condition design !

Sooooooo, I agree that SNUPI's "Great Grand-Daddy was a Weekender, however presently her genes have been modified ! Probably to the same degree that the original Weekender hull design obtained the seaworthyness fron the genes borrowed fron the East Coast Salt-banker's Schooner's dories.

Hope you're keeping notes along the way ... you may have some others interested in your new design.

You're on a well-traveled path of designers who adapted the ideas of others to build something new, and it often happens that the person who builds his boat this way is surprised to find how many people want lines or plans of the boat.

Hi Frank,

It is said that necessity is the mother of invention ......it appears that the same idea applies to boat design. What I saw in the Stevenson's hulls was a strong, simple seaworthy design that was ADAPTABLE to my purposes without compromising the seaworthy aspect .

Because SNUPI will be moored 35 +/- miles from my present aresidence, I wanted to be able to scoot the 30 minute drive to the Atlantic side of Nova Scotia, not have to frig with a set up, but simply get aboard and hoist the sails and GO !!!!

Major advantages I have is my relationship with a number of old time shipyard workers/builders on the south shore of Nova Scotia. ( I was born in Lunenburg, home of great numbers of salt banker Great Banks schooners, such as the world famous schooner BLUENOSE, the skipper of which, Capt. Angus Walters, was a family friend . )

The other boat building advantage I have ( As does anyone who need a helping hand), is a long distance friendship with Messing - About's own RAY FRECHETTE, of Lewistown, Maine. We all give Ray a bit of a hard time on occasion, but MAKE NO MISTAKE........ Ray does his homework, and has earned my deepest respect, as well as that of a couple of "Old Timer" shipyard workers here in Atlantic Nova Scotia to whom I have shown his ideas !

Of course, Ray lives on the North East Coast, has Canadian "roots" and has a similar exposure to an endless source of well seasoned "Old Salts" with first hand experience with wooden sailing craft of all sizes & types and a personal relationship with the unpredictable North Atlantic Ocean coastline waters !

Back to SNUPI .....At the end of the day, or should crappy weather crop up, I will be able to "Camp", ( think self contained hardtop camper trailer ), either at the marina or tuck in behind one of the many coastal islands, drop anchoror, run up on a beach if it's sandy, pop up a boom tent ....... and IT'S MILLER TIME ! :lol: SNUPI is an floating RV more than a sunny day sailer .

THUS....... trailer ease is a notch or two down the list, a few creature comforts, (and as much seaworthyness as can be in a small hull), a notch or two above !

Gidday Graeme

Snupi is comin along a real treat isnt she! wow great job given the small quarters in your shed 8)

I was sent a book about the totally fascinating story of Oak Island by one Michael Mason a naval architect and designer up there in Nova Scotia... and he has this penchant of sending me photos of one Bill Wilkinsons beautiful Swedish Koster design known as Elly 130+ years old and still sailing! :shock: amazing beautiful boat she is 8) ... Elly is kept {when hauled} at Bill Lutwicks {Ludwick? unsure of the spelling} yard in Lunenburg... and thats her in my avitar this is definantly one boat I cannot get enough of! :wink:

Sadly last year I missed on a trip up there when one of my kids got an invite to a sporting thing in Kolowna {sp?} and we intended to travel by train to Nova Scotia but sadly things changed and well we didnt get there... it ever happens again Im buyin the tickets before anything can change our minds again! Canada is number 1 on my must see places in this world

Regarding your dusty lady up there... do you have any sketches of the changes youve made you would care to post up here so we can have a bit of a gander? 8) As Frank said some of us are curious fellas and the possibility of it being just what the doctor ordered has real potential 8)

Anyway shes coming along a treat thanks for the pics mate!

These things happen to transplanted Canadians that have moved south !

Rigging ? Pretty much the original soft rotating airfoil design.

I'm going to run with white tarp until the bugs are either eliminated or I totally scrap the idea ! A lot cheaper than experimenting with a suit of mega - hundreds dollar sails ! I can easily play to my hearts content with any number of sail designs, not be out that many $$$$$, and still be able to revert to the marconi or standard gaff rig !

One suggestion that has come out of the "Lunenburg Salt Water", was a sail that incorporated both the high pointing and light wind advantages of the soft rotating airfoil AND the lower center of effort advantages of a low aspect fully battened gaff rig ! ( not too unlike a modified "Junk" sail I suppose )

It's so damn simple, has such a bunch of advantages, I don't know how I missed that one ! :o Actually, I'm surprised RAY didn't throw that one at me !

( I may have to modify RAY's unrestricted "Infinite Wisdom" title to "Intermediate Learned One of Infinite Wisdom" ! heheheheh

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]