Rub Rails

Joel

I have one side "dry fit". It went well but I don't have much extra sticking up above the deck. In some places there is a good 2" in others, about 3/4". If I was going to do it over again I think I would make the side pieces much bigger so they would cover well at the top and bottom. Anyway.... they are all cut out now and I don't like doing things over!

I am thinking of trimming the sides flush with the deck, or leaving about 3/4" all the way around. Any thoughts on attaching the upper rub rail? I know some others have had the same problem , but I can't seem to find any info on this.

joel

Yep, we've got the same problem... Never figured out how to solve it, other than "should have made the side panels taller to start with". I'm kicking myself now, for it was a bugger to do the fillets. The toerail sticks up at the front about as much as specified in the plans, but at the aft end it is about 3/4" like you've got it (measured under the inner toe-rail). Fibreglassing was a bugger at the aft end as well for there isn't much room there to push the cloth in the corners. We're now in the sanding/prepping for paint stage, and it is still a bugger to work in there. It isn't impossible, but we haven't found a power tool which would get in there to ease the process, so there's a lot of elbow grease involved in there. How were we to know about this before cutting the panels? For us cutting the sides flush with the deck was not an option; Wanna keep as many critters on deck as possible if we can help it.

Good luck

Florin

Thanks Jake, Not sure how I missed this discussion. Guess I was too busy searching the archives. It looks like it could still work out OK, I think it might be better to put the rub rails on after the glass cloth. The inside portion of the upper rail could go flush to the deck covering the edge of the glass cloth, then a fillet. I guess I will start my search for rub rail stock!

Here are a few pics of the sides dry fit. Everything still needs glue.

http://groups.msn.com/JoelsWeekenderSite/construction.msnw?Page=Last

joel

Joel,

That's what I did. I cut the panels flush with the deck, then routed a 1x2 to sit up about 3/4" above the deck, attaching the rail to the 3/4's down the side. I don't know how the functionality is going to be, but it looks good. After I glass, I will put 3/4" half round to complete the appearance

This may be a dumb question, but does the upper rub rail have a function other than bumping ?

Of course the upper rail has a function. You feel it with your feet as you go forward to tend to the foresails. This is to help you NOT step over the side but help you know where the side is. Sometimes called toekick. It will also funnel water that comes over the bow during heavy weather down your neck in the cockpit if you have forgotten to put scuppers in the sides just below the rails. (unless you have seat backs above the deck.)