JAKE ~ RAY ~ GRAEME ~ SNUPI & SNUPI's keel

Actually Gentlemen, I'd like you to consider the type of "pounding" that SNUPI, or any other vessel gets, while beating around the Atlantic inner coastal waters !

Ray should be quite used to the North Eastern Atlantic wave & swell scene, being as close to the Bay of Fundy as he is. My thought is that "breaking" a small, say 1 1/2 " x 1 1/2 " x 1/8" to 3/16" thick x 5' to 6' long angle steel of one type or another, solidly attached to the 1" thick sole as well as being thru bolted to the keel would add a wide comfort zone in choppy water.

I've been out 2 ~ 6 miles offshore in 15 ~ 19' V bottomed stinkpots and been caught in sudden squalls with unpredictable wave & swell frequencies that made travelling thru them a non-stop experience of heavy duty pounding, regardless of speed or power variation.

When coming off a wave crest with a flat bottomed hull, the stop of the downward movement is really going to be abrupt, ( it can be bad enough even with a f-glass "Deep V" bottomed 19.6" Doral blue water stinkpot at 4~ 6 knots ) !

The keel & it's 300 pounds of added ballast are going to want to continue the downward movement when the flat bottom has slapped the surface and REALLY announced it's intention of going no deeper !

Result ...... a violent stressful momentary tug of war between these two components of the hull, with the sole resisting the multiplied downward force ! That 300 pounds of lead in suddenly going to pull a few "G's" and weigh consider more than it's stationaly number !

It's really a case of the hull's sole pulling away from the keel in a perpendicular direction.

I had this discussion just last week with one of the Heisler lads, ( one of 3 generations of wooden boat builders, spanning back to the turn of the century ! )....... one of the major boat building families of the well known Tancook Schooner, a large number of which were flat bottomed, many with internal beach rock ballast . When fishing, this "Rock Ballast" apparently made weight distributation adjustments to the weather conditions relatively easy !

Nope....... been out there, seen & felt the "smacking" ........... angle bracing it is !

So......... back to the original question ....... epoxy / glass encapsulated S. Steel or Bronze ???

Ray ~~~~ BOW Question

Here's a pic taken over a year ago which may answer you question of the " Full bow" .

Some other dimensions ;

Stem length from sole to sprit ~ 51"

Hull depth from extreme forward of sole vertically to gunnel ~ 31 "

Hull depth midships , FORWARD of coaming ~ 26"

Hull depth at start of coaming ~ 33"

Hull depth at point of joining transom ~ 26"

Transom depth at center of crown ~ 28 "

Beam ~ 7'

Transom width ~ 60"

Keel's depth 14 1/2 " at midpoint

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

OK, my 2 cents here, non-scientific though. ;)

If there is going to be enough stress that you are worried about teh keelson coming off of tey floor; have you considered the effects this may have on the hull-side to floor connection??

I am with Ray, in the respect that I doubt you will have a problem with glass and epoxy; but for the sake of arguement, think about the above. ;)

Hi Jake......... No , I didn't give that much thought because of the 2 layer of 11 oz. glass wrapped over the chine , plus the , ( to be) oak "Runners / Mini-keelsons" to be screwed as well as a few 3/16" bronze bolts thru bolted.

I do like the idea of thru bolting the keel and then the fibre-glass / epoxy fairing build up !

Good chance I'll go that route.

Or.. I could just stay in the mooring like a bunch of the other "Weekend - Warriers " when the wind exceeds 10 knots ! Grrrrrrrr !

• 7 months later...

How are you coming along these days Graeme?

I was just re-reading this older thread and was thing you should be

a-sailin that rascal by now.

Fascinating process.

Any new pics to share?

Fellow Canucklian on the left coast with a slightly modified weekender...

Hi Tim, Ray, & Jake,

Been "slacking " it ........ EXCUSE ???? .....That Upper Canadian Francophone that we exiled to Lewistown Maine, sent a bunch of New England Snow up here to the "Canadian Banana Belt".

Be Forewarned..... he may soon tire of sending the "STUFF" to Canada ! YOU COULD BE NEXT, regardless of where you live! Keep a snow shovel handy , JAKE !

Rather puts a crimp in the warm weather sailing dreams.

As well, after 5 heart attacks, 1 cardiac arrest and 1 triple bypass, I decided it best to slow down a tad. :cry:

Soooooo I rebuilt the steering wheel pedistal w/ flip up lunch ~ chart table / plus depth sounder, fish finder/ compass / GPS and VHF radio mounting binnacle for the third time. :twisted:

It NOW suits me. I wanted to be able to use it whether I was standing or sitting, drunk or sober, ......PLUS .....AND be able to disconnect / remove the binnacle head with all the instruments easily, for security reasons, when SNUPI was sitting unattended at the mooring. (Out of sight, out of mind ! :twisted: )

Pictures will be forthcoming in the next few days. ( no point in outdated "updates" , eh ! )

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Man, that is a LOT of snow.

Reminds me of my years in PEI and Ontario.

One of the big reasons I went west.

We have had a freakish bout of warm weather. All the nice snow we had is almost gone...melted. The extra early (and I am sure) false Spring has sent rivers through out the interior of BC to flowing with giant chunks of ice and such. Bridges crushed, towns flooded...home evacuated etc. Not in my immediate region, but close enough.

The early respite from the cold has got me back to working on the few things I need to do before it is actually warm enough to work outside again.

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hang in there. I heard beer is good for that...

RIP Molsons Brewery (not that I ever drank the stuff :roll: )... now owned by Coors now the 5th largest beer maker on the planet.

Oh Yeah, Tim .... P.E.I. go really hammered . That last Wee Gift from Ray did a 60" job on Moncton N.B., as well.

I've been getting reports from Balmy Calgary. My 2nd son, Shawn, is a roofing contractoe there and my youngest daughter, Heather is with the Calgary Police Force. Seems you guys just keep batting the Chinooks back and forth and not letting us poor Eastern Maritimers get a break !

Geeeeez.... even the seals are heading south ! Temp at 6pm yesterday was -20 C....... add the chill factor to that and .... Move over seals , I'm coming thru !