Inspiration

Brent

It has been a while since we have seen any B&B yachts in action, so I thought I might throw in one for inspiration.

This is Saturday on the Ohio River just north of Louisville. The wind was blowing from SW at 8-10 mph. The boat is on plane, dancing up the river towards Cincinnatti. Ran about 5 miles in this direction, then turned around for the return trip into the wind.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Brent, I really enjoy reading your posts and seeing your pictures. My CS 20, with a little luck will be ready in June. Ray Frechette is building it for me in Lewiston maine.

I tend to identify with your posts because we have sailed similar boats in the past. You seem to put a lot of emphasis on sailing qualities and speed as I do.

Question: In terms of your rigging , ie. choice and placement of hardware in/on the boat and the masts, sprits, would you do anything differently? I am a close to starting to install hardware and am looking for input.

Happy sailing!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Building my boat was a gratifying experience of which I enjoyed every minute. Sailing the boat is a total joy. I hope others find the same in their adventures.

Bruce, you got me pegged! When sailing I do enjoy a good turn of speed. If you are like minded, then definitely run the snotter and cunningham back to the cockpit! These get tweaked often. You will notice in the picture that the main has a bit of a wrinkle in it; snotter and cunningham get eased on the deep reaches and runs.

When rigging the boat much of what I did leans to favor the solo skipper. I set dual cleats in the bow, aft far enough to reach without leaving the cockpit. These do double duty as the anchor points for the staysail. I set the centerboard cleats as far back as possible to make reaching them from the helm easier. My tiller extension allows me to steer the boat while sitting just behind the thwart. (The boat wants weight forward when pointing). My mizzen sheet runs very different from the plan. I wanted the sheeting to be more in front of me instead of behind. So, I have a two to one arrangement between the end of the sprit and the stern with the sheet then running along the sprit to a turning block and down to a swiveling pully and cleat at the base of the mast. This I like.

I ran a shock cord under the deck along both side of the cockpit. A small rope with a clip hanges my boat bumpers on this shock cord. The bumpers are easily moved fore/aft, and once away from the dock the bumpers get flipped into the boat, still attached and ready for the landing at the dock. I dont like the bumpers hanging around, but this beats trying to get the bumpers disconnected and stowed while steering the boat away from a crowded dock.

I found that for a very small cost (www.cajuntrading.ca) I could upgrade from 3/16" dinghy braid, to real sheathed cover yacht braid in 1/4". So all my halyards, snotters, cunninghams are 1/4", which is overkill but very easy on the hands. The small size V-cleats are advertised for up to 1/4" rope, but truth is the medium size cleat handles this size much better.

It has been a while since we have seen any B&B yachts in action' date=' so I thought I might throw in one for inspiration.

This is Saturday on the Ohio River just north of Louisville. The wind was blowing from SW at 8-10 mph. The boat is on plane, dancing up the river towards Cincinnatti. Ran about 5 miles in this direction, then turned around for the return trip into the wind.[/quote']

What effects from river currents?

Thanks.

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/PhotoAlbum49.html

This is some shots I took for someone whose name escapes me about 6 months ago. It was under the big blue tarp before the boat shed was completed so it all looks a bit weird.

I am amazed by Brents efforts. He is more motivated than me.

We have gone down the laser path and kept it as simple as possible.

I have just redone the booms with a webbing loop to go on the outhaul end and some sister clips on the snotter to make it easier to rig again.

I derive a fair bit of pleasure from arriving at the ramp, dropping the masts in looping the sails on connecting a couple of clips and away we go.

I use my 9 and 11 yr olds to run forward and adjust the downhaul.... But what Brent says about speed is true, not many boats get past us. We sailed up and away from an RL 28 on Sunday in the river. In the end he started footing away to make out he was not trying but we lost him completely.

If I had my time over I don't think I would go bigger sails as you would need some sort of ballast if you did not take crew and it then becomes a circular argument I feel. More sail, more crew, more weight etc...

I feel the performance is helped by being able to completely adjust weather and or lee helm out of the tiller thus reducing induced drag etc. I find if the conditions are heavier I tighten up the mizzen by half a spiders cock to give a bit of weather helm and then the boat seems to lift itself on the lifts in gusts etc to weather.

I have got off the subject.. Sorry.

We are off to Bribie Island for their Classic Boat regatta in 10 days. Shall send some pictures of us with the trophy from Sundays race.... (hubris here...)

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

John, I tapped this forum for input on battery power, and got lots of good thoughts. In the end I went with the most simple solution I could find...a lawn mower battery. It seems to have plenty of power to keep the lights going for hours, and still enough left to start the lawn mower!

I recently saw a portable jump start battery with about 750 aH at home depot priced at about $30. I may "upgrade" to that. I recognize that neither this nor the lawn mower battery is designed for this type of service, but is adequate for price and the limited use it will get driving my boat lights.

BTW, the lights are wonderful. No more hurrying to get home before dark, and miss some of the most relaxing sailing of the day.

FWIW, I installed 2 7amp/hr gell cell batteries in parralell for a power source for my 'Tunes'. They lasted over 6 hours and only took a short while to recharge.

They are actually the type found in fire alarm systems as a battery back up. I don't think they are terribly expensive and being gel, well they can be placed in any position. These to together only take up about a 10"x10" space, maybe about 4" high.

Brent, thanks for the reply about the lights. I looked through the older discussions and found your thread about the lights, wiring etc. Very helpful.

I sure wish I could find running lights that would have the required 1/2 nm visibility that would run on one of those 6v alkaline batteries or regular alkaline batteries. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks,

John

CS17#102

LED lights are the lowest power solution I can think of. I just did a quick search and found that there are LED navigation lights for sale. Take a look at http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/On_Line_Catalogs/Marine_Products/Marine_Products.jsp and also search a bit on your own.

The downside to LED lighting is the cost. The expense is offset a little bit by the fact that you won't need much of a battery but it's still expensive. If you're a tinkerer there are schematics available on the web for making your own lights. That brings the cost down to something most of us can afford.