Boat names

Kudzu

Just curious how you came up with your boat names? Obviously some are wive/girlfriend names. Some boat names you see over and over. I am still looking for a name for my CS 20.

When I renamed my Cris Craft from Sandbar (how original) I kept think about my pilot buddy say he had up boring holes in the sky. Eventually that lead me the name Makin' Waves.

My father-in-laws Cris was name Gnat. I have always loved that name but have yet to come up with something similar.

For my CS 20 I want something with a secret meaning of sorts. Like a Greek Word that means something appropriate. I have found one name I am seriously considering. Ploas or Ploos. There both Greek and have to do with sailing. Ploas is my favorite of the two. It means one who rows when the wind dies. :lol: I love that since I am debating between oars and an outboard.

Ploos means navigation:--course, sailing, voyage.

So how did you come up with you boats name?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wind Song" is the name of a company which makes wind socks and other wind related items here in Hamilton. You know the kind, flowers, bright colors, tails blowing. I just love the name so asked the owner if I could use it. She said it is copy writed, but gave permission. I really think it is just right for a sailboat.

Mine was found on this forum. i asked for ideas, narrowed it down a bit. Re-submitted the idea list and utilized the inspiration of teh people on this board. An un-scientific approach; but it worked for me!

If I recall, Ray F is the one who came up with my boat's name.

i named my boat after a historically fictional character...Morgaine is King Arthur's half sister and the princess of Avalon...i thought since she was Lady of the Lake and all it was a fitting name for a boat. I plan on naming the Vacationer(which i have plans for and will build next year) Vivian...who is the original Lady of the Lake....Both names come from a book titled the Mists of Avalon....

i am thinking about naming the Navigator that i want to build (excuse my ambition...just trying to get out of work) Firefly

a.

this is an interesting thread....

I have been pondering the name for the Laguna 24 that I have been restoring and finally, after months of indecision, decided to name her after my father's mother, my grandmother. She was quite a gal, lived to a very old age, and weathered many storms. Just the sort of person to name a boat after. My Laguna's name is Nellie. It was a common name in my Grandmother's time, but not so common any more. Anyway, this is what I have arrived at for this boat. I usually do not name any boats below 22 feet.

i am thinking about naming the Navigator that i want to build (excuse my ambition...just trying to get out of work) Firefly

If you re going to build a Navigator, I knnow another builder close to me that would love to hear from you. She is doing an excellent jhob at present on TWO of them! She is a great person also.

-email if you would like further.

My Weekender's name is "Spirit Wind". That is in memory of my father and his appreciation, (as well as mine), for the great heritage of the Pacific Northwest Tribal Cultures. He was a wood carver and loved the Tribal wood carvings and the totem poles. He carved masks from Alder and Western Red Cedar blocks and reliefs on cedar shingles. He was very supportive of this project and very much involved in it until his death.

Eventually I hope to incorporate several original carvings into the Weekender.

I initially thought of my recently departed grandmother, and was going to call my weekender the Alice G.. But to be honest, I didn't think the boat would do her memory justice (she was a much more polished performer :lol: )

I then went though a few Celtic names, but I thought most of them sounded a bit pretensious for a small boat , and didn't distill the idea I was trying to convey.

And then, one night with a few friends, we hit on the perfect name. In Cork slang, the word for your house is, guess what, your Gaff. And the nickname for an amusement arcade we idled many a happy hour away in when we were younger, was The Gaff.

I was amazed it hadn't come to me sooner.

She is to be called My Gaff.

My family's boats have all been named "DayDream" (Dad and I had 8 of them over the years). When we bought the present boat, we wanted to Document her and went through a list of documented boats to see if any other boats were named "DayDream." As it turned out there were two, but there were none named "Day's Dream." We chose "Day's Dream." If you know my last name, you can see the reason for these names.

I am probably going to name the Spindrift I am building "Little Dreams." I thought it fit the situation.

I sure like some of the names and reasons I have seen in this thread. Great going!

BTW, "Ploas" is the one for you, Kudzu. You should fit the boat for oars even if you put a motor on it.

Steve (I never thought I would get to 100 messages when I started here.)

BTW' date=' "Ploas" is the one for you, Kudzu. You should fit the boat for oars even if you put a motor on it.[/quote']

I will be fitting it for oars even if I don't use them much. Building a set of oars is on my list of things I want to do.

Also, like Adla, I have a couple of other boats in mind to build too.

I may build a canoe or Kayak before I start the CS-20. When I get to one of those tough spots that I want to think about I could slip a Diva or Flyfisher in the water and paddle and flyfish while I think it through. :mrgreen:

I also want to be Steve Redmond's Wisp skiff. It is primarily a rowing boat so I might save Ploas for that boat.

I worried about a boat name for a long time. I think it was as much work as building the boat. I like a boat name that's personal. I spent 2 years in New Zealand and love the South Pacific. A name from there seemed what I was after, but most people would not know what "Kia Ora" meant. I decided on ALOHA. Everyone knows what that is - even though in Hawaii it has a thousand meanings. To me it is my private trip to the islands, my get away. Besides, it gives my crew something to do. I tell them it's their job to yell "Aloha" to every boat within ear shot.

I collected a lot of boat names and had a site with them. Many are a bit dumb: http://www.pragdata.com/philboat/boatnames.html

My son thought of PFD - kind of cute. My daughter wanted BOB. She likes simple. Be cautioned about getting everybody's opinion. It can take on a life of it's own. When I decided on Aloha, it didn't please anyone. It's too late to change now. She's been christened and I made the name board. It's final - ALOHA

After seeing Phil's "Aloha" I decided that I had already copied enough of his ideas so I had to get away from my first choices. But here is a list of the names that I was originally considering.

Aloha

Hawaiian Dreamer

Sweet Hula Girl

Aloha Girl

Aloha Spirit

Ida Sail (Partners name is Ida)

Ka'mona Wanna

Paradise Calls

Okole Maluna (Bottoms up)

For Play

Aloha Kauai'

"Wiki Wiki"

Kilohana! (Best! Most Excellent)

Miki'oi! (Excellently Made)

Wind Spirit

Spirit Wind (Final Choice!)

As a word junky from a family of word maniacs, I just love this name stuff. Unlike you deep thinkers, I just pull a name out and use it, for kids, dogs, cats and boats. But that's not quite honest because names have fascinated me ever since I can remember and I think about them, their sound and use, all the time. First pram didn't have a name until I got a second boat (age 12) and named it Finesse as a play on my last name. Also a bit of an in joke since I was and am a klutz. Then the pram was painted to match (black with grey deck and cockpit plus candy striped sail) and named JoJo as a play on the owners nickname. Next boat was a red Lightning named Redstart (was avid birdwatcher at the time). Our Weekender is Penelope because she was stuck at home while Ulysses journeyed all over. The sharpie is Mures for the river that runs through Wild Child's home city of Arad. We are thinking of sticking with rivers for a bit so the next boat may be Mekong. Ah, names, it's just fun to have something to stick one on. Not a boat, but our beloved old greyhound was called Creeping Jane, my very favourite name.

I haven't even turned my Vacationer and she already has a name. It's interesting how we came up with it also. Since there are too females in my life to name it after just one, or even two without ending up in the dog house with the others, (wife, mother, daughter, sisters, etc. etc.) I decided to stray from that idea. My Irish/American wife who speaks Spanish came up with the idea of naming it La Serena Madera, or The Wooden Mermaid. She even went onto Ebay and found a mermaid figurehead to attach to the bow after it's finished. I'm thinking this isn't a large enough boat to have a figurehead, but what the heck. Anything that keeps me in good terms with the other half is okay with me. As long as she doesn't interfere with decisions about type of wood, epoxy or other important stuff.

Who knows, maybe after the christening we'll be renaming it The Leak.[/i]

I haven't even turned my Vacationer and she already has a name. It's interesting how we came up with it also. Since there are too females in my life to name it after just one, or even two without ending up in the dog house with the others, (wife, mother, daughter, sisters, etc. etc.) I decided to stray from that idea. My Irish/American wife who speaks Spanish came up with the idea of naming it La Serena Madera, or The Wooden Mermaid. She even went onto Ebay and found a mermaid figurehead to attach to the bow after it's finished. I'm thinking this isn't a large enough boat to have a figurehead, but what the heck. Anything that keeps me in good terms with the other half is okay with me. As long as she doesn't interfere with decisions about type of wood, epoxy or other important stuff.

Who knows, maybe after the christening we'll be renaming it The Leak.[/i]