Big Madrone

BobSmalser

Kind of sad to see it go but very interesting. Hope you post pictures of some of the boards you get out of it. I love Madrone trees, didn't know if the wood was good for anything. This is how much I love them, when I was a little kid, my aunt and uncle lived in southern Oregon where there are a lot of these trees. When we visited I would rave about the Madrone trees, so one Christmas, they gave me a 3' Madrone "log" as a present. It was one of my favorite presents, kept it for years! Try to give a kid a piece of wood for Christmas today!? ( makes you wonder who is smarter me or kids of today :roll: ).

Cement and all manner of hardware are common in house site trees...watch out for the old, forgotten hammer left setting in a crotch.

But in these days of metal detectors and safer band or carbide-tipped blades, it isn't all that big a deal...more and more "urban" forester-sawyers go into business every day.

I hit it a second time, of course with the chain saw when probing for it....but I expect that with hardware.

I was just dumb enuf to assume the upper logs were clear, as running the metal detector at each board deck requires shutting off the mill and removing hard hat and ear plugs.

I've found porcelain electrical insulators 36" deep in a 48" maple, and railroad spikes like this one are common as these woods were all laced with Shay mountain railways when the old-growth was first cut in the 1930's....this one probably held some sort of lantern or light 15' up in the tree.

We had a big one cut down when I was in college and milled to provide boards for furniture building. I made a desk and a side credenza from it. Had it for years, and it was shall we just say....interesting! Very pretty wood when finished. But unusual in appearance.

There is a fine furniture craftsperson in the Kirkland area that makes boxes and small jewelry cabinets from Madrone. They are magnificent, and priced accordingly. :lol: