Another Weekender Launched

Steve Clutterbuck

Well done, Steve :)

You've been building that thing since before I started, but it definitely looks like its been worth the time. Your method for fairing the gussets before attaching the hull sides is the stuff of internet legend and keeps popping up everytime someone builds, so I guess you've made your contribution to builders everywhere. Have fun with your boat! :D

Congrats! She looks great. The sealed chambers will add a large piece of mind when you're in rough waters with all its added flotation.

Doubly envious since it will be about 3 more weeks before the weather will be right for us to get out again.

Just when it was getting warm enough to start thinking of bring the boat out of the back yard, we were just buried with 6" of snow with 6 more expected tonight. Oh well, more time to work on the new hatch!

Of course, at some distance it is not possible to evaluate the finer details, but the impression from your pictures is still of a top class job done. She is really a beauty!!

It looks like you have a 2.5 HP Mercury on her (like I had myself)?? What is your impression of the motor. Sufficient?

Good luck with rig and sails. The real fun and the pleasant water life starts when you go sailing. With your closed compartments you may even be able to bail her in the water if you ever get swamped by a knock-down. Those features should really be part of the stock design in my opinion.

Congratulations :D

Well Steve, it floats. Confirmation that the plans were correct and you interpreted them just fine. Congratulations. One nice looking Weekender to add to the "Down Under" Fleet. I agree that the anticipation gets to be almost too much. It is painted, it is sealed up so lets see if it floats. :shock: Put all those doubters in their place. :lol:

Not an official launching though until she sails. :wink: So the celebration will continue.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone. I have just returned from a Victorian Wooden Boat Association gathering in the township of Paynsville, which in on the Gippsland Lakes, about 4 hours drive east of Melbourne. I was stunned by all the messages, its really nice to know there are so many people out there who love these boats.

My wife and I had a very pleasant surprise when we arrived in Paynsville. Staying at the same caravan park was a fellow member of the WBA who I knew was building a Weekender. I didn't think he was anywhere near finished though, but boy was I wrong. Bill and his wife arrived with their brand new boat that still hadn't been in the water. The main activity the following day was to be a cruise on the Nicholson River so we decided to try to get some photos of the two boats together. Once again there are no pictures with sails. I still don't have mine and, although Bill does have his, he didn't quite have enough time to finish his mast. The photos are attached, hope you like them.

I have a few shots of some of the other boats if anyone's interested. No more Stevenson's designs though.

Knut, my motor is a 3.3 hp Mercury. It has more than enough power to do the job. The speed limit in most of the rivers around here is 5 knots. The Merc pushes my boat to this speed on less than 1/3 throttle with plenty in reserve to punch into a headwind.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Steve, it's easy to imagine the celebrations for you and Bill on finding that you both made it with the boat! :D The picture of the 2 boats together on the river is a keeper. I love how the design is so recognizable but each boat is an individual with its own personality. Are you planning to make your own sails? One of the New Zealand builders did an excellent job of cutting down larger sails from another boat. Cheap and very attractive.

Steve, it's easy to imagine the celebrations for you and Bill on finding that you both made it with the boat! :D The picture of the 2 boats together on the river is a keeper. I love how the design is so recognizable but each boat is an individual with its own personality. Are you planning to make your own sails? One of the New Zealand builders did an excellent job of cutting down larger sails from another boat. Cheap and very attractive.