Vactationer, Weekender,etc...

Lefty

I thought it was about time to hop into the fray. After almost a year, the time has come to start asking the questions that I go over in my head.

I am in Apple Valley, MN and am just about finished with my minicup. I purchased Weekender plans, but decided to build a minicup: A) to convince a doubting wife that I could do it ( I don't know why she's like that) and B) to convince myself that I could do it.

As I have followed this and a few other sites religiously for the last year, I have had my next project in the planning stages before I completed this one (started the minicup in August, but really haven't worked on it since October besides some sanding).

Here are the questions and considerations I need to take into account:

1. I don't expect my wife is going to join me in my minicup which is fine. However, for my next project I want a craft she would enjoy spending a Saturday on, and potentially an overnight or two.

2. I have weekender plans in hand, so this would be the logical choice. The problem is the more I look at them, the more I prefer the extra space and relative comfort provided by the Vacationer. I am curious what the approximate costs have run on the Vacationers out there. No need to include trailer costs.

3. The design I like the most is the Vagabond plus, a stitch and glue boat. Plans are far more expensive than Vacationer, and I have read all the praise the builders of those heap on the design. I am looking for feedback and considerations between the Vacationer and the Vagabond as thy are approximately the same size. (Cost of a Vagabond is in the $4000-5000 range.) Cabins I have seen of Vagabonds seem more comfotable/liveable than the Vacationer in terms of layout and features.

4. Finally (for those of you who still care and/or are still awake), if I build the weekender, I know I will end up building another boat down the line...which isn't a bad thing. However, if I build the Vacationer or especially the Vagabond, I think my next boat will be a lot further down the line.

Thanks for letting me get something down in writing. Even if nobody cares to respond to my manifesto, it feels like progress to just prioritize my concerns and get them out there for potential feedback.

WHEW!!

The Weekender is a fine day sailer, and people do spend overnights in them. Its really camping out though, as the cabin is only suited for crawling into and laying down (no "sitting headroom"). Some have raised the cabin roof to try to make it easier to sit inside the cabin.

The larger boats are have better cabins. So you really have to think about your intended use of the boat.

I think with a 16' or smaller boat, for me anyway, day sailing is the most I will do with it. To do overnights, I really want a 18' or larger boat.

I guess you have to ask yourself where you are going to be sailing and what the conditions are going to be like. The Vagabond Plus is a ballasted centerboard design that is a composite construction. It was designed for coastal cruising and performs well. Lots of them have been built and are in use. A good boat.

The Weekender may be a little small for overnighting unless you don't mind spartan conditions and limited space for comfort things like a "Port-a-potty". But it is a kick in the pants to sail, will teach you a lot about handling a gaff rig boat and put you in action when a lot of others are just sitting awaiting enough wind to get moving. It is unballasted, although there have been several that have added ballast. It is a shallow draft as well which is great for smaller shallow lakes and getting into and around places that deeper draft boats can't go. But it isn't what I would call comfortable for Weekending or trips.

The Vacationer is a lot more spacious and has plenty of comfort features. But again it is a shallow draft, unballasted design. Neither of the boats need a centerboard to perform well. Camping can be comfortable and there is room and a heavier boat than the Weekender gives a bit more stability.

Both are well proven designs with a lot of experience on the water. Neither of them are designed for cruising in open water. They do great in lakes or protected waters.

If it is looks, and you like a more traditional looking craft, then there is no choice but to choose one of these.

I'm building a Weekender now, primarily to have a boat that I can get out on by myself or with a friend and day sail for the most part. I plan on building a Vacationer as well if my kids use the Weekender as much as they seem to indicate that they will. Then we can take both for longer outings and camping. We've had larger boats but not used them because of the hassle to get them out and having someone along to crew.

I would ask some more questions about actual finished costs before making a decision as well. I think you will find that you will have more than you expect in a larger boat by the time you are finished, get sails, a trailer, outfit it and get some aux. power. It all adds up quick when you get beyond the actual construction stage. Outfitting can be expensive and the Stevensons have shown a practical way to build and outfit using common lumberyard/hardware store items to get it finished and in use. Upgrades can come as you get used to the finished boat and how you will end up using it.

Hope this helps. As you are already aware, there is a lot of help available on building these boats and there are a lot of others that have already done it.

Lefty, have you met up with Bill Paxton yet? He's in your neck of the woods, too. He built the nicest Weekender in Minnesota.

Although he built his Weekender sans cabin, it is a very nice boat. If you haven't seen it, you need to go look at it. Maybe you'd want to do what he did and make a tent to cover the space. This would give you some added space without going to a boat the size of the Vacationer--at least if you want to use the plans you have.

I hadn't thought about this before but with the way Bill built his boat a small galley could easily be fitted in a seat locker and a Porta Potty could be put up front right behind the mast.

I'm not as close but if you want to see one with a cabin, I'd be happy to show you mine.

My first boat was a pocket cruiser, which is a bit more sluggish sailer than a weekender, but has a bit more space in the cabin, due to its width. When I decided to build something bigger, I wanted something that I could put bunks in for more comfortable sleeping, that we could cook on conveniently, had storage for a few days on board, and was fairly inexpensive to build, and also would not be 12 feet high on the trailer, and light enough to pull with my minivan. Hence the Vacationer. There is a lack of standing headroom, which makes use of the potty somewhat inconvenient, however, it is not clostrophobic, and does sleep well. Handling is excellent, no problems sailing it single handed, and ample room for 4 people in the cockpit, and then some. There is a lot of flexibilty in designing an interior for it, except for the components needed for structural support, it is wide open. I don't think any two interiors are the same, and I would probably do something different if I built another. It does take longer to build than a weekender, and is more expensive, and depending on choice of materials could range between $3,500 to $10,000 (mine is decidedly low end, but it floats, and we have fun.) Our sailing is primarily on lakes, and the Ohio river, so we are not blue water sailers, and the design is excellent for shallow water, getting up into coves, and beaching. It pulls very well behind the van, and set-up time at the launch site is less than a half hour. Even my wife admits it is a much better experience than she ever imagined. It will move with very little wind, and we have experienced wind gusts in the 15-20knot range with no difficulties, or undue concern.

Thanks for the feedback. When I first got on here, I saw a post from Bill Paxton in Apple Valley, so I looked up the address and drove by...there it was on the side of his garage...a Weekender. It was covered, and I never have gotten the courage to stop by and see if anyone was home. And actually I am originally from Rochester and my parents still live there, so I get down there quite often too.

To further muddy my thought process, my intention initially would be to sail some inland lakes, but down the line would consider going to the Apostle Islands area (for sure not in a Weekender). I have read Larry's adventure on Lake Superior with his Weekender, and am wondering how a Vactaioner would do. As far as shallow drafts, I think the Vagabond and Vacationer are not much different.

I don't know what to do.....

Again, thanks for giving me your opinions, I appreciate it.

Lefty, there's no excuse, then for not looking my up next time you get down here. I don't have the boat here at the house now. It's in storage out in Mantorville but as soon as it warms up and the lawn dries up enough, I'll go get it.

Bill won't bite. He's a nice guy. Drop him an e-mail--you can find his address in his profile here. He might even chime in here if he's around.

How often would you sail on Superior?

Lefty,

I'm north of you, but I also built a weekender. I agree with the other posters, a boat with a LWL of less than 20 feet is a daysailer. And sleeping on a weekender would be camping, and if your wife is anything like mine overnighting on a weekender will take a lot of convincing.

As for sailing on Lake Superior with a weekender. I'd join a sailing club that sails Superior to gain some knowledge of the lake before goin up there in a small boat. In Minnesota, look up the Northern Lights Sailing Club. They charter trips to the Apostle Isles at least twice a season. The have a website, www.nlsc.org, and I know guests are always welcome.

Let me know if you want to see another version of the weekender. Mine is in my backyard in Chanhassen.

Lefty,

You've got to stop by and give me an excuse to take the cover off my Weekender! Any excuse will do, but to be able to share a real Weekender with someone considering building one is extra special.

Give me a call (I'm in the book), and we'll set up a time to get together. Heck, you already know where I live!

Bill

PS: my PC is dead, and the new one is on order. I'm checking email and feeding my boat addiction at a local coffee shop. So if you send me an email, it may take awhile before I get back to you.

Guest TBush

Lefty,

I am yet another Minnesotan building a weekender.

For what it's worth. I searched and researched Hundreds of boats to build before deciding on the Weekender. I too though about a bigger boat, but realized I would be single handing more often than cruising, and the weekender is just the right size for that.

I was very impressed with the following and available support this little boat has. There is always someone on-line when ever you have a question. I also have a very high regard for the Stevenson's designs and plans. Their plans are one of the best values I have seen. Some other plans cost more and are just two 11 x 17 pages.

So far I am making a boat "Kit". My garage is un-heated and it is too cold for glue. I think gluing up a hull in the family room would not be deemed correct by the 'management'.

There is going to be quit the fleet here.

Regards.

I wondered just how many Weekenders there were in the area. I knew there would be a few because when I stopped in to West Marine, they were familiar with the boat, and didn't seem surprised that I was building one.

I am still a ways away from actually having a Weekender, but getting the Minicup done in the next 4-6 weeks will be good enough for right now. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a little more to get back out in the garage. Even though the plans don't call for it, I am going to glass the bottom and hull sides. Them I just have to paint and put together my mast and sail parts I have been picking up all winter.

The prospect of having so many people around who are so enthusiastic about the Weekender is a very good reason to go with those plans (and the fact that I have them in hand already). I suspect however that home builders would appreciate almost any design, despite our personal preferences.

My guess is that I will sail the minicup this summer and make a decision based on what I think of the whole minicup experience. I should point out that I am new to sailing (I have sailed a hobie cat), so patience and some practice on something small and easy to manage is probably the path to take. Once I take care of the basics, then the goal is to get my wife a little more enthusiastic about it. She isn't against it right now, she just isn't excited about getting out there like I am.

.....A whole fleet of Weekenders on Calhoun some sunny Saturday afternoon would look pretty nice though, wouldn't it?......

It is a great website....top 3, in my opinion, for amateur boatbuilder sites. I've spent many, many evenings looking at the job he did on that sailboat. It's inspiring, to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up though...I'm sure others would like to see the time and effort he put into the boat and the website.

Justin, of "Just Right" spends a lot of his online time on the Trailersaiilor board. He really did a nice job on that boat. From reading stuff in the past, she's a really sweet sailor - he did well in the Cruiser Challenge in San Fran last year.

You might also take a look at the B and B Board which is part of these forums- Graham has some very nice smaller cruiser designs also.