Princess 22

Kudzu

Reading archived posts I got curious and looked at the Princess 22 page and now I am in lust! I sold a CAL 21 and said I never wanted another sailboat with a cabin again. Not even a cuddy except maybe for storing gear. I don't want a big boat and that is what it would take to get a useful cabin that I could be happy with.

After spending the evening studying the Princess 22 photos I am having second thoughts. This boats cabin is way superior to the Cal. Plus it's bright work is something I love. The layout actually looks useful and comfortable. Something my Cal wasn't. The only comfortable positions were standing up with your head in the companion way or laying down in a bunk and they were way to narrow. So the cabin was only useful for storing gear and riding out a summer storm.

What I was wondering is anyone have any idea how much more time this boat would take to build compared to a CS-20? I assume the interior is the big difference with all the cabinet/finish work. I would think hulls would be similar time wise. Since everyone works different would I be close in guessing twice as much time to build?

Other question and I know this is impossible to answer accurately (maybe you can give me an idea Charlie). What would the materials cost on this boat? Ballpark, assuming you used good materials but not necessarily top of the line. Is it a 5K boat or a 10K boat? Just a ballpark would be nice.

I really like this boat. I can see me sailing it in the evenings into the night. Spending time at anchor in spring in the cabin just messing about. Heck I could spend time just messing around in it on the trailer in the backyard!

Well, you should get some really good answers on this one! Charlie is building one right now, and I know Graham has some pretty good estimates on the costs, etc.

I just wish I had the time to build a P22 ... it seems the perfect boat. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery someday and can quit work and build one.

Ballpark per conversations with Graham a few years ago (2 I believe) was about 8k. I have hull #4 (plans) which I might have my fingers pried from. ;) ;)

I love this design; it is a great medley of all of the things I wish for in a sail boat! :)

I had the opportunity to climb about the original Princess 1 1/2 years ago; a wonderful craft! :)

Several suggestions here. THe cs 20 can be converted to and overnight sensation with a very small amount of work and darn little expense. Somewhere Graham has a shot of a tarp rig and bowed pvc for temporary setup. If you desire, you can do it with regular canvas dodger of full cover for an sleeping in it and removing it for the day trips. This is big boat for the size of it. But first you must identify your intended use for your boat. Do you have a wife and a couple of kids, young maybe in age, that requires or desires more closed protection as a camper type use? Are you using the boat for day sailing and loading on a trailer and towing it most of time after day use?

Then you really can designate a small simple cuddy to the boat for dry provisions and storage. The building time for a full cabin boat, if you spend 200 hours on an open boat, will take around 400 hours to do the additional layout and fixed cabin for it in labor.off course depending on how much you ant to put inside in layout and glits and polish. The material part would not be that much. Keep in mind that it is highly recommended to do most all of the finish work inside the 22 footer or any other small boat, before you put the top on the boat hull. This will require patience, as most people like to see the put together hull as it will go slower than building the initial part of the boat hull.

Check this site out.

http://groups.msn.com/BuildingtheCoreSound20/_whatsnew.msnw

I think the 8K figure is probably pretty close on materials, counting trailer sails, etc.

As for time to build, I've been working just under half time on this boat for about 10 - 11 months now and I'm doing interior now (without the cabin top Oyster). Had I been able to devote full time to it I figure it would have taken 9 months.

That's using all first class materials. I totally agree with Graham on this- if you are going to devote this many hours and that much funding to a boat, use the best stuff in it. The difference between using Okume ply throughout and fir marine was about 600 bucks all up. Isn't worth the difference. :)

At $8k for materials, its a bargin. I'm actually in the looking-dreaming phase of my next boat, and I'd love to build again. But with time so limited I know I could never take on that kind of project. Nor can I take on an older boat needing a lot of restoration.

So I'm looking at boats like the Potter 19 which is very popular out here (its built near LAX). I visited their plant, and they do a nice job with it. But getting one fully equipped, with a 5hp outboard and sails, will run about $18k.

So I keep looking at that Princess 22, and thinking so much more boat for the money, with the only other investment the time. To buy a boat like the 22 new, without building it, you'd start at around $25k, I would think.

I greatly appreciate the input. Nothing anyone said surprised me. I will probably stick with the CS-20 for now. It is extremely close to what I was looking for after I sold my boat. My wife asked me why I wanted another boat with a cabin and it was hard to answer. Don't you hate it when your wife does that? :lol: As much as I would enjoy just puttering around in the boat I would actually use the cabin very little.

What I need is a day sailer and not a camper. I assume I will sail alone most times and when the wind dies or I get tired I will put it back on the trailer and go home. By myself I would actually spend very little time in the cabin. If I just added the dodger I think she would make me very happy.

Add to that, that I have enough money stashed back to build the CS20 with a little to go towards a small outboard but not enough to pay for the Princess so it makes the choice easier. I wouldn't be getting to a point and having to stop and till I could save up some more money.

Of course first I have to finish the house we are building. Once we get ti done I still have a lot of cabinetry to build for it.l But it's almost as much fun to plan the boat as to Mess about it them. :lol:

If your interested you can see a web blog on the house I am building at www.kudzupatch.com/craftsman

Sometimes its a real bummer when you spouse is not as pleased to be on the water as you may be. From my opinion, the cs-17 will work for you, if its just a daysailer, and may get you back on the water. Until then, find you a cheapo 16 plastic fantastic for the time being. NO one, absolutely no one needs to be off the water even one weekend this next season. Therer must be one laying around someones back yard all mouldy and full of leaves for the cleanup and a little wax, to fill the need for the puttering on a hull, and the occasional mental health day. Hear the water calling your name in that seashell? :wink: Listen carefully, I here it, myself, even while the rain and winds of winter blows. Amazing isn't it, that the wind and water always is there, at least to some of us. Now go take on the task of search and rescue on your daily drive about town. In the mean time, also, buy yourself a few sets of plans. That helps too.

Oyster, I am not boatless..... well close but not quite. I have a 1962 Cris Craft Sea Skiff that I simple adore! She has sprung a severe leak and once the house gets done I will repair the hull, repaint her and be back on the water.

I made a mistake when I sold one lake house and moved her to the new boathouse at the other house. Instead of hanging her by the lifting eyes like I did previously. I decided to build a cradle in the existing lift and lift/store her on that. It was easier than tearing out the old one and starting over. I lived to regret that choice! The hull distorted some and she split open a seam. So I will just be without a sailboat for the summer, not entirely boat-less. And living just 5 minutes from the water you can bet I will have a boat this summer!

Here is Makin Waves about 2 years after my restoration. She is in need of a face lift now but is still in good shape.

boat-onplane.jpg

Can you see how many people we have onboard? :lol: Thats why I love this boat. She does need a set of hydraulic trim tabs with that many people onboard.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. Thats down my alley for sure. But as we age, we slow down and smell the honeysuckle vines. :) I won't get into the matter of trimming the boat on this thread but in short, a nice chest of cold iced down beverages, under the bow cap, helps keep a crowd like that mellow and helps in many ways to trim the boat. When all else fails we sometimes use a bag of those decorative stones, 50 lbs, usually each bag placed inside a leaf style garbage bag, and placed foward also. Keep us aware of your road to insanity. :wink: :P