An interesting electric motor option

Barry Pyeatt

There is an interesting post on the BYYB forum by Tim Bush. It is about a different electric motor installation.

http://www.devlinboat.com/dcnancyschinadc.htm

Might be something to think about on the Weekenders. :idea:

Added note: Mike Stevenson responded to the post with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about this installation. It would really limit the effectiveness of the rudder on these boats. They're designed to use high-aspect rudders; please don't shorten the rudders. Adding a motor will only reduce the effectiveness further.

That's our thought about the concept; it's entirely up to every builder (obviously.)

Mike

I really don't want to hang a motor mount on the back of the transom up high. I have a nice brite finished vert. grain Doug fir band at the top. Would just like to have the boats name and hailing port on that.

Well then, what I'd like to do is come up with a way that would allow the motor to be mounted similarly to how the Stevensons did it on the Weekender in the video. 8)

But.....I want it to be reversable and I want it to pivot with the rudder. :?

So....lockdowns to hold it for reverse. But allow it to release when it hits something. :shock:

Would like the mount to be adjustable for height, so a slide of some sort. :D

Has to be out of the water while sailing unless I am :shock: motor sailing.

Also a tie rod to the rudder box to allow it to steer with the rudder.

Been playing with a bunch of soft aluminum sheets and tin snips while I'm over here trying to fabricate a mockup of one that I think would work.

I also want it to be able to be unplugged and pull a clip/retaining rod and remove it for trailering/storage.

I know, I don't want much. :roll:

Rudder design can be so critical to the success of a particular hull design and this rudder works well. Hang a prop and a motor housing off of it and I can see where it would mess it up.

But I like the concept.

Looks like a neat idea but I see a couple of problems.

First and biggest problem is that I wouldn't want that amount of drag while under sail. I know that if I leave my troller in the water while underway it's like putting on the brakes BIG TIME. I suppose a folding prop idea could be worked in but it would take some testing to be sure.

Second is like Barry says, reverse would be a big problem along with the weight and strain on the gudgeons and pintles. Most of the ones I've seen around weren't designed to take that sort of strain. But again, it could be worked around given time and some enginuity.

I showed this thread to Peter and he was aghast that anyone would be willing to put up with the drag that a motor in the water all th etime would generate. Mr. Sylvester hit it right on the head: Having the motor in all the time would slow things down remarkably. Even if you could stop the prop, it would still be very noticable.

Mike

Not entirely. The prop will still be a factor although it is out of the flow directly on the rudder when the motor is retracted. I think his motor retracts? :? But the well causes some turbulance and drag.

The flow across the rudder will not be adversely affected if it is out of the way and it will help steerage when he is using it.

I think that when you mount it as part of the rudder you loose the effectiveness of the high aspect rudder design. And it would be a drag.

We've discussed folding props before and they are available but unrealistic as far as cost.

Better to get the motor out of the water when you are not using it on a small boat like this from a performance point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

He posted a lot of progress photos on the BYYB Forum, but I don't seem to be able to bring any of them up. I did a search on both forums for his posts and got a lot, but all I get is the box with the red X in it.

I think he used an electric trolling motor. If I recall correctly it swings down in a well.

Ray is correct. Chris's motor does not retract - it lives in its own "cut out" in the keel. The bottom part of the "cut out" is removable for repair and maintenance. The motor is attached to the hull by the shaft through a hole in the top part of the keel. I believe he said the keel is 12" (?) tall at the stern. It looks kinda like a inboard install on the trailer.

He has an album up on ImageStation but I don't have the link in front of me - sorry.

Thanks guys for the clarification. It is one cool solution to his modifications of the Vacationer. All in keeping with making it look more "Friendship".

Are the photos gone forever and we are just going to look at boxes with red Xs in them. If so, part of the benefits of posting will be gone with it.

Konrad - Close, I'm really Lemmy :twisted:

Cap'n Trey - my mistake. I coulda swore I saw one of your .pdf's floating around with a gas engine in the well. I just downloaded it again and I obviuosly was confused. Lotsa random stuff in my head - get some crossover sometimes - sparks, burning insulation :?

Cap'n Trey - my mistake. I coulda swore I saw one of your .pdf's floating around with a gas engine in the well. I just downloaded it again and I obviuosly was confused. Lotsa random stuff in my head - get some crossover sometimes - sparks' date=' burning insulation :?[/quote']

That sounds like me Tom,

I have changed Nokoni so much over the years, I sometimes don't remember exactly what her current features are.

right now I am about half way through converting her to a schooner.

Konrad - Close' date=' I'm really Lemmy :twisted:

Cap'n Trey - my mistake. I coulda swore I saw one of your .pdf's floating around with a gas engine in the well. I just downloaded it again and I obviuosly was confused. Lotsa random stuff in my head - get some crossover sometimes - sparks, burning insulation :?[/quote']

Tom,

Look at the B&B website and the Princess 22. I believe it does have a motor well.

Greg.