Cockpit Drain??

capt jake

OK, My boat had never seen water, and only a little sunshine! :)

It is filthy and in need of a major bath. I see no alternatives but to put in the cockpit drain to relieve the water from bathing, and or any water in the cockpit.

Soo...lf I install it; can I do so with 3-M 4200 or 5200; instead of epoxy? I am looking for a long term solution here; not a quick fix (though that would be optimum). :)

I am not really excited about drilling this hole, but I feel it must be done (correct me if I am wrong, but I feel at this point every Weekender should have it!). :)

Thoughts, feelings, or suggestions; or am I all 'dry' behiind the ears???? :) :shock:

That's what I did. Bought a cheap white nylon through-hull fitting at West Marine drilled the hole through the hull roughly in the forward starboard corner of the cockpit floor. Gooped it up good with 5200 and trimmed off the excess through-hull underneath. That sucker ain't goin' nowhere. Bought some el-cheapo corks at the craft store to plug it while underway. Just be sure to not kick the cork out while on the water.

Ditto here - nylon thru-hull, sealed good, and trimmed off about 1 inch below the hull. I'm using the rubber expansion plugs with the release, and keep a couple of spares handy. I leave the plug out when trailering for those on the highway rains. Just remember to have the plug in when you launch. The good news is that with the Stevenson design, even with the plug out, the water only gets a couple of inches deep in the cockpit - just to the water line.

Mine is thru-hull only. It is located on the port side, 2" equidistant from the cockpit bulkhead and the seat front, so it is pretty out of the way of anyone's feet, and it is a 1" nylon thru-hull from West Marine. No problems to date. Drains rainwater and wash water out nicely, and we have spent 6 nights on the boat last season, plus day sails.

How about a small automatic electric bilge pump mounted in the companionway box and pumped out the transom? Just drill a couple of holes into the box to let the water in and put a false floor a few inches above the hull bottom so you can still use the box. More complicated but if you ever swamped, a little 500 gph pump gets you dry pretty quickly. I got a nice little Rule on sale at West for about $25.

So you guys are installing it through the hull only? Not through the keel as the planlet shows?

On the trailer, I found the water tends to collect up next to the bulkhead rather than at the stern as they show in the planlet. Might just be the way I have the boat on the trailer.

I haven't done a drain yet ... I've been very careful about keeping the boat covered. And since I never get to actually USE THE BOAT anymore, a good cover is essential!

I sure hope the reason you don't use the boat anymore isn't because you are so busy maintaing the web site...

I wish! I would at least enjoy updating the site!

Its my job ... I hate my job, and if I didn't like it so much, I'd quit and get another just like it. As you can tell, I have a "love-hate" relationship with work ... I really do like it, but there are days ... :)

I bought an old fashioned bronze garboard drain plug that has a threaded plug. I have put off installing it, hate to drill that big hole :shock: , but will do so soon. I'll epoxy the exposed wood grain inside the hole, then set the thing in 5200. I like the solidity of it. There's no way for it to accidently come out.

Since I have the open compartments in the cockpit, I was thinking putting them under the seat in the area where the compartments are supposed to be.

Any problems with this idea?

Wonderful. :roll: :roll: Imagestation has changed there set-up and I can't post in the old way. Any ideas of the 'new' way??

John T' date=' ive been planning on doing what you suggested, a bilge pump in the companionway hatch. ive already drilled the holes thru my bulkhead and purchased the bilge pump and float switch(ill be mooring). my question is, why are you pumping out to the transom instead of to the outside of the hull?[/quote']

Sorry for the delayed response Ken. Out the transom mostly to keep the sides tidy. Also, with the rail buried in water, there's a chance of water being forced back into the pump. That's no big deal, but the transom exit, positioned a couple of inches above the water line, just seemed like a better solution.