Of kids and Boats

Mark Gudschinsky

For those of you who need a bit of help keeping you project going, I recommend a few medium sized children. (Ages 7 and 9 seem to work well.) Kid have boundless energy, enthusiasm, imagination and it turns out they are slave drivers!

We got our new boat shed habitable friday afternoon. As soon as it was done, the kids we ready to start in. They were out in the cold (-15F) dragging in tools, saw hoarse, bits of lumber. Then we put together a cabinet, and began sorting out tools. The only way to get them out of the boatshed and back in the house (It was past bed time) was to remind them that we had to go to the lumber yard early in the morning.

To day after breakfast we were off to the lumber yard for Amphora supplies. We got back home had an early lunch and headed out to the boat shed. By six in the evening I had had enough and was ready to call it a day. They wouldn't let me. "Come on Dad lets keep working."

It took a Mom telling us we'd better get in the house if we wanted dinner to get them to quit. And they have decided they're getting up before 7 am so they can get an early start.

We'll see if this is just beginning excitement, or if sanding cures them. If not, we have discovered a way to build boats in record time.

I guess im just a large child, I have that same drive when it comes to boats. Even the dreary tasks seem to brighten up when your building a boat. When my family saw that I recieved yet another set of plans they looked at me in a strange way as they know that I get consumed in these projects. I know its hard to walk away every night from experience. But every new day brings new energy and ideas, and those "issues" seem to disolve. she will be there in the morning, or next week. knowing that gets me thru the rigors of life till the next time I can escape to the boat shed.

Good luck with those boats and work safely!

Jack

Jack, I think we boat builders (at least) are all kids at heart inhabiting bodies which do not necessarily match our spirits. :D

Mark, my boys are pushing me too :lol: . We have a Nymph project to finish up, and a cradle to build for the next grand child (due within a couple of weeks). This is why we spent yesterday clearing out more space in the shop (until my wife reposses it as a garage LOL...another story, another time :lol: )

I am having some difficulty finding some of the stock listed in the Amphora BOM. One inch stock in clear fir or pine is non-existant nor 3/4 half round. Mark, have you made substitutions yet? Would Poplar or Sassafras work maybe? I suppose I could mill the half round on the router table.

Greg,

I'm not much on various wood, but there are several good threads dealing with the subject (where I don't remember.)

We are lucky here as there are several good lumber yards and even a shop that specializes in hardwoods for custom builders. So material availability is not much of a problem. The only thing were are short of is the 1/2 round. Ace Hardware usually stocks it but they only had one.

What we have found sofar in lofting and cutting out the Amphora:

1) This thing has more keel than a Weekender.

2) You could probably substitute the 1"x12" with 1/4" or 3/8" plywood. You might have to add a few stringers, but it would eliminate searching for 10' of clear 1"x12"

3) you can get the bulk heads and transom out of one 11-1/4" x 8' piece. So you don't need as muck 1"x12" as the material list says, and if you use plywood you can get them all out of a 1/4 of a sheet.

4) Even though it is far from being wet, I bet you could reduce the keel from 6-1/2" deep to 3" or so and still have it track well in the water.

5) If you went with a plywood keel / stem and bulkheads you could eliminate all of the clear lumber by using a single additional sheet of plywood (Probably 3/8".)

6) This boat is a chinch! These kids have only one more small piece to loft and cut, and they are ready to begin assembling. A day and a half total, shopping included!

Your right: It probably does have a little too much keel in some ways, but I really liked being able to row very hard and not have it wander all over the place. When we tried to sail it, we cut down the keel at the stern a little (maybe left 1 1/2"?) Afterwards I was always a little partial to the Amphora we had not cut down (we had a spare for some reason.)

Mike

We used a little Lateen rig. I can't remember how large, but it wasn't too big. I think a very small rig might work if you slowly added sail up to the point where it was about right. I'm not sure about the Amphora sailing though. I'd be tempted to just make the 3-In-1, as it's not much bigger and sails well.

Mike

We used a little Lateen rig. I can't remember how large' date=' but it wasn't too big. I think a very small rig might work if you slowly added sail up to the point where it was about right. I'm not sure about the Amphora sailing though. I'd be tempted to just make the 3-In-1, as it's not much bigger and sails well.

Mike[/quote']

Just thinking that a Viking rig might work and the kids would love it. :lol:

For those of you who need a bit of help keeping you project going' date=' I recommend a few medium sized children. (Ages 7 and 9 seem to work well.) Kid have boundless energy, enthusiasm, imagination and it turns out they are slave drivers!

We got our new boat shed habitable friday afternoon. As soon as it was done, the kids we ready to start in. They were out in the cold (-15F) dragging in tools, saw hoarse, bits of lumber. Then we put together a cabinet, and began sorting out tools. The only way to get them out of the boatshed and back in the house (It was past bed time) was to remind them that we had to go to the lumber yard early in the morning.

Today after breakfast we were off to the lumber yard for Amphora supplies. We got back home had an early lunch and headed out to the boat shed. By six in the evening I had had enough and was ready to call it a day. They wouldn't let me. "Come on Dad lets keep working."

It took a Mom telling us we'd better get in the house if we wanted dinner to get them to quit. And they have decided they're getting up before 7 am so they can get an early start.

We'll see if this is just beginning excitement, or if sanding cures them. If not, we have discovered a way to build boats in record time.[/quote']