Nearly a boat shed

Mark Gudschinsky

We are close to having a boat shed for our boat projects. The sheetrock is up and the painters were going to get done this weekend with the garage door going in Tuesday, we are chomping at the bit. But, (there is always a but), the weather dropped down to cold agin. It was -40 this morning and we don't expect much better tomorrow. When it's that cold the sheetrock mud takes lots longer to dry and it's hard to get all of the moisture out of the building from it drying . So it may be mid week before we actually have a boat shed.

We had planed on starting Alexander's Amphora tomorrow but instead well read the plans a few more times.

For those parts of the word that are shocked at -40, it's not all bad. For instance:

It is easier to convert from fahrenheit to celsius.

(at -40 they're both the same.)

You can use your back porch as a freezer.

You always know where your kids are at.

You don't have to explain if you are late for work.

Best of all it's not -60.

We are staying positive and hope to have a post about building the Amphora next week.

Well,

That makes me feel alot better, this am here we are at 16 and may hit the 30's!!!!!! we have been in a snap for a few days our low was -8 or so but we have been in the lower singles for weeks. My shops heat cannot keep up with those temps, finally today il get back to it. good luck with your shop and your project, its just as much fun building them as it is sailing them!!

Jack

Oh,

Sorry I was meaning to make a suggestion for your sheetrockers, I use durabond 25 45 or 90 heres the skinny on it. for drywall sheetrock walls, I use 25 for the DEEP corners and 1st coat of the joints, 25 signifies it will harden in 25 mins, 45 is 45 mins, 90 is 90 mins, the advantage is you get to put the next coat on that day, and so on..... unless your going for a blue board and plaster job, but it does not sound like your going in that direction. last coat I usually go back to the premixed stuff a bit thinned out to make a nice creamy last coat that is easy to manage and spread. If your having the job done by a contractor they may not like to use it, or do not want to be told "how" to do it, attitudes vary ;) they may not even know about this trick to shave days off the finish product. It comes in bags and called durabond. like I was saying it hardens rather than having to "dry" also shrinks & cracks less that the bucket type in deep applications. also I usually open a top floor window or roof vent to Vent out the moisture, but then again im not in -40f LOL In the trades everybody has there own way to get to the finish product, this has always given me that extra edge and speed without sacrificing a quality job.

Jack

might want to bring them coffee before suggesting it :)