Finally Joined

Mark Gudschinsky

Thanks Frank,

Glad I finally joined messing-about.com. I'm only 9, Frank said I'm the first kid to join.

I am going to build the Amphora. Even though the Amphora isn't one of the three boats most people build on messing-about I think it is still a worthy boat to be on messing-about.com. I will post pictures when I get some.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, Alexander!

The Amphora is indeed a worthy boat. I think it may be one of the earliest "built-by-kids" boats out there. The Wooden Boat Show now has a "family boat building" weekend, where teams of families build a little boat, but it really doesn't have the character of the Amphora.

I found the book in my neighborhood library, and was very surprised by the way it resembled the larger Stevenson Projects boats. That young dark headed guy in the pics is Mike Stevenson, who is, like the rest of us, old now. So someone has to pick up where he left off!

Thanks Frank' date='

Glad I finally joined messing-about.com. I'm only 9, Frank said I'm the first kid to join.

I am going to build the Amphora. Even though the Amphora isn't one of the three boats most people build on messing-about I think it is still a worthy boat to be on messing-about.com. I will post pictures when I get some.[/quote']

Welcome Alexander,

You have exceptional language skills for a nine year old. Very impressive.

Greg.

The boat shed just needs sheetrock, heating, and roof covering then it will be done. Then I can start on The Swimmer

Sounds like you need to give Dad a kick in the bumm!!! To get him started, that is!! :)

After all, you NEED to build this! right??? :)

Of course you will help wil with the sheetrock! :) :)

Thanks for the complements guys. Today was +5f. Wednesday it will be -30 F. Tomorrow we go back to Hunter School which is 2 blocks away. The boat shed just needs sheetrock' date=' heating, and roof covering then it will be done. Then I can start on The Swimmer.

Bye[/quote']

Alexander,

Is Hunter School the name of an elementary school, or a type of school? Perhaps there are other kids interested in boat building also?

One of my son's is nine and likes to help me build boats and just mess with tools. His 7 year old brother is even more avid. They often are a big help to me.

HI Alexander,

How exciting. I was in Wasilla a few years back with my wifes sister and her family working on their boat in mid winter. Yes, it is possible to work in that low temp if you are prepared and take care to not get frostbite.

I'm really excited about your project. I built my first boat when I was ten. It was a 12' sailing surfboard. I found the plans in Boy's Life magazine and my dad and I built it in our boatshed/garage/workshop. It was my first boat and I have never quit building them. Once you get hooked, it is in your system.

My youngest son was only 9 when he helped me rebuild a small sailboat that we got from a neighbor for free. He really stuck with it and over the course of a spring and summer we got it finished and he learned to sail on that boat and had many adventures. His favorite book when he was little was The Amphora and he has wanted to build one ever since then.

Now that he is a Dad with a new son, I'm sure he will get to building it as well. So he will probably follow your progress with as much interest as the rest of us.

So...welcome to the group, don't be afraid to ask questions. No one bites that I am aware of.

:lol:

I went to Amazon.com and searched for your book, but it came up empty. I then followed the link here, "Top 100 Boatbuilding Books", and did a search. Bingo, Amazon linked up and found the book! It is now on order. My 7 and 9 year olds should have a blast building that boat. Of course, I will enjoy doing it with them too. :D

I just saw the book on Amazon.com just before Christmas and was going to buy it. But of friend of mine came up with a copy. Keep looking, they come up with more books. I want to make Amphora with my two boys. My friend was talking about making it a dinghy for his Weekender.

You just never know. :lol: